Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Narrowed Rear With Fat Lipped Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Narrowed Rear With Fat Lipped Wheels

After seeing some pics of a couple cars on here with narrowed rears and wheels with a big lip really has me thinking. I have to get a new rear end for my car and getting a narrowed rear isn't going to cost me anymore, but I figured I would have to do a mini tub and mabye a little more massaging than usual, but I think its the route I'm going to go with.

But for kicks post up some pics of cars with narrowed rears and nice fat lipped wheels and the specs and work that was needed to make it work if thats not too much

Thanks in advance guys

I have these 2 for insperation right now LOL

BTW sorry for stealin the pics, but both cars a so badass I couldn't help it
Attached Thumbnails Narrowed Rear With Fat Lipped Wheels-cimg0801.jpg   Narrowed Rear With Fat Lipped Wheels-ta2.jpg  

Last edited by Turnin20s; 03-02-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Oh so thats what money can do. I definetely want some!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Badhawk
Oh so thats what money can do. I definetely want some!
HAHA I just hope it doesn't take too much money LOL I know the wheels are gonna cost a little, but I think there are some reasonable options out there.

I want to get a wheel like on the black TA but with a black or gunmetal center for my polo green Z I think that would look GOOD
Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

I have pics of my wheels but I haven't installed the Shortened S60 yet so no appropriate pics of them on the car.

Here is a picture of them on the car with the stock length 10 bolt.

The New rear will be installed by the end of the month I'm just waiting for the cold Chicago weather to go away!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

you don't have to minitub just because you narrow the rear. you just move the center of the wheel inside the barrel an amount equal to the removed length of the rear on each side.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sr71
you don't have to minitub just because you narrow the rear. you just move the center of the wheel inside the barrel an amount equal to the removed length of the rear on each side.
Yeah I hear that, but the car has a little bit of rust starting there and the few cars I have found said that they were mini tubbed. If I don't have to tub it I won't, but have the ability to do so if its needed.

SmokedOutZ

That looks badass, be sure to post up some pics for me. And where did you get the wheels and what are the specs on the rear axle? That car is going to look sick when its done. Thanks for the pics
Old 03-03-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Yeah I hear that, but the car has a little bit of rust starting there and the few cars I have found said that they were mini tubbed. If I don't have to tub it I won't, but have the ability to do so if its needed.

SmokedOutZ

That looks badass, be sure to post up some pics for me. And where did you get the wheels and what are the specs on the rear axle? That car is going to look sick when its done. Thanks for the pics

Dont narrow it 3 inches on each side like I did its apain in the *** to put in get 1 thats narrowed 1.5 inches on each side it will still give you your lip deep dish look and more of a cheaper wheel selection and not have to go with a custom forged offset you are looking to spend atleast $3500 for rims trust me I have been saving.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Shorten it 2.5" per and get a 5.5 backspace wheel. Nothing custom on the 5.5 offset.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

SmokedOutZ

I got the wheels from tom Z when he was still selling them, they had to be custom made but the cost difference was very little. The rear is cut 2-1/4 each side and the wheels are 5-3/4'' backspacing. When I get the rear installed I will have new pics up. Today I plan to prep & paint it to get it installed soon.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

nice im lookin foward to seeing it
Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

what kind and sizes are those wheels and how much.

Last edited by wicked z28; 03-03-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Bringing it back....

I decided to go with a rear thats 4" narrower than my stock rear. I'm just curious what kind of lip those wheels would have on an 18x10.5 or 18x11? The front will be kept in the stock offset. I'm just having trouble finding wheels that aren't really expensive, that are wide, and the style that I want.

I really like the style of the RPM 505s, but with a dark grey or matte black face

But they are only 18x8s and 18x9s

Anyone help on some wheel companies that won't break me too bad? I mean I can order 2 wheels and wait and order 2 more if I have to, but I just don't want to end up spending $2000 on just wheels. $2k on wheels and tires may not be too bad, but we'll see LOL
Old 08-19-2009, 04:55 AM
11 Second Club

Bringing it back....

I decided to go with a rear thats 4" narrower than my stock rear. I'm just curious what kind of lip those wheels would have on an 18x10.5 or 18x11? The front will be kept in the stock offset. I'm just having trouble finding wheels that aren't really expensive, that are wide, and the style that I want.I really like the style of the RPM 505s, but with a dark grey or matte black face

But they are only 18x8s and 18x9s

Anyone help on some wheel companies that won't break me too bad? I mean I can order 2 wheels and wait and order 2 more if I have to, but I just don't want to end up spending $2000 on just wheels. $2k on wheels and tires may not be too bad, but we'll see LOL
Good luck with that, your asking for off the shelf pricing for custom wheels. That is one of the downfalls to narrowing the rear end, My Rear tt2's cost more then a typical set because they had to be custom made but Sometimes it cost more to be a little different so you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Good Luck with it and if you find something in a wide 18 with a nice backspacing point me into the direction so I can pick up a set.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
Good luck with that, your asking for off the shelf pricing for custom wheels. That is one of the downfalls to narrowing the rear end, My Rear tt2's cost more then a typical set because they had to be custom made but Sometimes it cost more to be a little different so you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Good Luck with it and if you find something in a wide 18 with a nice backspacing point me into the direction so I can pick up a set.
Will do, I'm actually looking into the TTMs in the grey color in 18s, but I just don't know.

Like I said though, I don't mind spending the money for a good looking set of wheels, but I don't want to have $5k into a set of wheels
Old 08-19-2009, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Will do, I'm actually looking into the TTMs in the grey color in 18s, but I just don't know.

Like I said though, I don't mind spending the money for a good looking set of wheels, but I don't want to have $5k into a set of wheels
Negative on the TTm's I have inside connections at American Racing and they told me that you can only get the TTM's in the sizes and backspacing offered in the catalogs.

I looked into those before choosing the TT2's. I know what you mean in price I was looking at some wheels and by the time I was done it was 4600 for wheels and tires in 18'' One day I will have to sack up and get em though.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
Negative on the TTm's I have inside connections at American Racing and they told me that you can only get the TTM's in the sizes and backspacing offered in the catalogs.

I looked into those before choosing the TT2's. I know what you mean in price I was looking at some wheels and by the time I was done it was 4600 for wheels and tires in 18'' One day I will have to sack up and get em though.
Well **** LOL I didn't like them anyway

Well hurry up and get the 18s and sell me yours for cheap I may end up with the TT2s, but I just don't like the stepped lip and they down't have the look I'm going for. I'm trying to find a "pro-touring" type wheel, CCW makes some badass looking wheels but I can't find their website, fikse are sweet, but really expensive, Iforge I can't find any prices, and theres more but they are all too much for me.

I have some time and I'm planning on running 2" spacers with my wheels until I can afford to get customs, but wheel spacers kind of scare me, especially when their 2" thick and my car is making over 400 RWHP

But you narrowed you rear 2.5" per side correct? What backspacing did you end up with and how wide is the wheel? I'm only going 2" per side and am trying to figure out what backspacing I need for a 10.5 or 11" wheel
Old 08-19-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

run some greg weld 15x 10 with a 5.5 bs
Old 08-19-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by litch2004
run some greg weld 15x 10 with a 5.5 bs
No, thats not going to happen
Old 08-19-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, thats not going to happen
You seen this yet?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...se-fm-10s.html
Old 08-19-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why do you say no thats not going to happen?

Quick Reply: Narrowed Rear With Fat Lipped Wheels