Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

I can't believe I did this - Billet Specialties Street Lite Mistake

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't believe I did this - Billet Specialties Street Lite Mistake

So I am going to keep this short and sweet.

Two months ago I ordered the 15x10 7.5BS. I had read up briefly on them and didn't even realize there was a Fbody Specific rim and a non fbody specific rim. I thought the only car in the world that would need a 15x10 with 7.5 would be a Fbody........

Well there get here today, and in an excited manner I rush off and get my tires mounted on them... get back home and try and throw them on the car and low and behold they don't fit.

I read on here that apparently EVEN with grinding they will not fit the LS1 brakes.

I did read however they fit LT1 brakes, so maybe someone with an LT1 car will be willing to pick these up.

If anyone wants to save a little money on a BRAND new wheel and tire setup please let me know. I am posting them for sale now.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why dont you just get lt1 brakes for your car?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:19 PM
FormerVendor

Sad to hear your misfortune.

This probably isn't what you want to hear but the mistake made was you shouldn't have mounted the wheels before test fittings, even if you thought they fit. Standard practice for all wheel purchased from any manufactur is to test and inspect wheels before you mount them.

Once you mount them, you own them. No different than an electrical part. We cannot resell a product that is considered used. Wheel manufactures... us all typically have disclaimers stating this information. Some manufactures place stickers on the wheels as well.

You're option now is to either sell them or consider drag brakes. We can set you up with brakes if you're interested.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Sad to hear your misfortune.

This probably isn't what you want to hear but the mistake made was you shouldn't have mounted the wheels before test fittings, even if you thought they fit. Standard practice for all wheel purchased from any manufactur is to test and inspect wheels before you mount them.

Once you mount them, you own them. No different than an electrical part. We cannot resell a product that is considered used. Wheel manufactures... us all typically have disclaimers stating this information. Some manufactures place stickers on the wheels as well.

You're option now is to either sell them or consider drag brakes. We can set you up with brakes if you're interested.
Can you PM me your cheapest price for everything I would need for the CHEAPEST drag setup in the rears?

Actually, I see your PM's aren't activated.

Please email me @ ss346ls1@hotmail.com

Last edited by ineedashortblock; 03-27-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:20 PM
FormerVendor

I'd be happy to help you but what we have to offer you are not economy style wheels. I can offer you the lightest direct fit front and rear drag wheels on the market.

I'd suggest if you're looking for budget minded wheels, consider either a prostar or summit/jegs style street/strip wheel.

I'm sure you'll find someone that wants your wheels. They would easily work with drag brakes. Only problem would be that is sort of an oxymoron as someone using drag brakes typically doesn't want to put a heavy street/strip wheel on their car. You may want to check in on camaroz28.com as it has a good LT1 following.

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

I'd be happy to help you but what we have to offer you are not economy style wheels. I can offer you the lightest direct fit front and rear drag wheels on the market.

I'd suggest if you're looking for budget minded wheels, consider either a prostar or summit/jegs style street/strip wheel.

I'm sure you'll find someone that wants your wheels. They would easily work with drag brakes. Only problem would be that is sort of an oxymoron as someone using drag brakes typically doesn't want to put a heavy street/strip wheel on their car. You may want to check in on camaroz28.com as it has a good LT1 following.

Good luck!
Actually by drag setup, I meant brake setup. However I don't want to deal with removing the axles for the backing plates etc... so I think that is out of the question at the moment.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:37 PM
FormerVendor

ahh ok I see. Actually, with a c-clip setup, it takes minutes to remove the axle. You can take it down to a shop to have the bearings pressed off and re-installed for probably 10.00 per bearing. You do not need to leave the bearings off for the new drag brakes. The new backing plates go on without the need of ever removing the bearings again. It's a rather simple setup

You could then sell your backing plates...they typically sell for 175-200.00 as other folks need them for aftermarket rear-ends (unless they re-use their stock pieces when they have a rear-end made).

Depending on the rear-end you have, pieces you'd need will vary. We can setup the brakes, new brake lines and bearing spacer kit (if you need the spacer kit). Kits can be viewed at http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_...0Drag%20Rotors

The other option you'd have I suppose would be picking up LT1 brakes and using a spacer and grinding. You'd still need to remove the backing plates, but maybe you could find someone that would be willing to trade their LT1 brakes for your LS1 brakes. Most people never want to go from LS1 to LT1 brakes though...kind of counterproductive. LT1 brakes are rather bad and they weigh more too since the calipers are cast steel, not aluminum.

BTW, what width is that tire? The sidewall looks very narrow, typically a 26x11.5 would be the size you need. It may be the angle of the picture, not sure.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

ahh ok I see. Actually, with a c-clip setup, it takes minutes to remove the axle. You can take it down to a shop to have the bearings pressed off and re-installed for probably 10.00 per bearing. You do not need to leave the bearings off for the new drag brakes. The new backing plates go on without the need of ever removing the bearings again. It's a rather simple setup

You could then sell your backing plates...they typically sell for 175-200.00 as other folks need them for aftermarket rear-ends (unless they re-use their stock pieces when they have a rear-end made).

Depending on the rear-end you have, pieces you'd need will vary. We can setup the brakes, new brake lines and bearing spacer kit (if you need the spacer kit). Kits can be viewed at http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_...0Drag%20Rotors

The other option you'd have I suppose would be picking up LT1 brakes and using a spacer and grinding. You'd still need to remove the backing plates, but maybe you could find someone that would be willing to trade their LT1 brakes for your LS1 brakes. Most people never want to go from LS1 to LT1 brakes though...kind of counterproductive. LT1 brakes are rather bad and they weigh more too since the calipers are cast steel, not aluminum.

BTW, what width is that tire? The sidewall looks very narrow, typically a 26x11.5 would be the size you need. It may be the angle of the picture, not sure.
The tire is a 27x11.5

And how much more do LT1 brakes weigh? 5-10lbs?

How long would a swap take if I found someone with Lt1 brakes to do everything.... any idea?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:15 AM
FormerVendor

I'm guessing about 5 lbs difference. The LS1 brackets may effect total weight though. I know the front LT1 brakes are about 5 lbs heavier.

Time to change will probably depend on your experience I suppose. Taking a stab, maybe 5 hours. You'll need to change the brakes, backing plates, rotors etc. You'll also need to bleed the brake system. There may be some small steps I'm missing but this gives you an idea. I'm sure someone has a step-by-step write up on it somewhere. If the car isn't a daily driver, I'd consider drag brakes. At least you'll be dropping about 25 lbs from the car. Braking is better, they just don't dissipate the heat as well as an OEM configuration. Figure if you can sell your backing plates, the drag brakes won't end up costing you too much at all. The LT1 brakes, you're still going to have to do some work to make those wheels fit. Drag brakes, you won't have to do anything to them.

The picture must have been an optical ilusion regarding tire size. That's an appropriate size tire for the wheel. Another concern you may have, the 28's will be much harder to fit. You'll need adjustable LCA's and PHR. You're still going to have to do some work to make them fit, bumpstop etc. If you have a TA, its slightly easier than a Camaro. You need to deactivate ABS, you also should have at least a proportioning valve in your braking system or one of our ABS delete kits. It's going to be a much harder sell with those tires that is for certain. I'm not sure what you're doing with your front wheels, but I hope you've got skinny wheels/tires for it. Never mix a large radial front tire with those bias ply tires. Driving will become very unpredictable and downright scary at times.

Quick Reply: I can't believe I did this - Billet Specialties Street Lite Mistake