Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Where to buy 165/80-15 tires now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to buy 165/80-15 tires now?

Searched discount and tirerack, shows it's not avail anymore. Any idea's?
Old 10-16-2009, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

ive got a pair for sale they are Nexen 165/80-15 with only about 10miles on them. If interested ill sell them for 115 shipped, just lmk thanks josh

Last edited by firefightergib; 10-16-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by firefightergib
ive got a pair for sale they are Nexen 165/80-15 with only about 10miles on them. If interested ill sell them for 115 shipped, just lmk thanks josh
Trying to find some local, but if not I will hollar at ya. Whats the reason you are selling them? Nexen good tires?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

yeah they great tires, i ran them on another set of wheels i had, the only reason i have these for sell is I had a set of draglites for sale w/tires and the guy only wanted the wheels, so im stuck with the tires now.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

I've ran the nexxens on all my skinny front wheels. Work really well. I think I can still get them but you are going to be dealing with shipping again since I am in KS.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

onlinetires .com has federal brand for 40 bucks a piece
Old 10-16-2009, 06:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrong tire to consider for your car...it's too small of a diameter. ABS won't function correctly as it was designed, you'll have to overinflate them so it doesn't look like you're running flats. Spend the money on the MTT-1573 tire.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Wrong tire to consider for your car...it's too small of a diameter. ABS won't function correctly as it was designed, you'll have to overinflate them so it doesn't look like you're running flats. Spend the money on the MTT-1573 tire.
ABS and skinnies??? Seriously??? Cmon man
Old 10-16-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Agreed. The Nexxens I ran worked but I had to run around 45 PSI to get them to look non-flat. Although Steve, the Nexxens are 25.40 so they will be ok with a 275/50R15 as far as the ABS goes.

Originally Posted by nitrouspowrdss
Steve knows what he is talking about.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by nitrouspowrdss
I'm not making things up or making statement for no reason. I have no stake in Mickey Thompson. We don't even sell tires.

Thanks for your support DopdBrd.

I’ll attempt to clarify my statement. I can’t seem to give brief answers so below will be the best attempt.

The size is not a huge variance from the typical rear wheel. ABS more than likely won't show up visually as in an ABS inop lamp (usually doesn't occur until ~>=.75" difference) but the ~.5" in difference is enough to affect ABS performance. ABS will react under situations where it normally may not activate which will actually decrease braking performance, not enhance it as it was initially designed.

I don’t know the specifics on the particular tire specifics but another concern is generally speaking, most are designed for larger than 3.5" wheels. They are also carrying a very low speed rating typically 85-105mph. Stuffing too large of a very stiff tire on a small wheel (and overinflating it) will place a greater stress on the wheel further increasing the likelihood of wheel failure. Furthermore, the stiffer-larger tire can actually work-harden the material further increasing the likelihood of stress fatigue. One may state "well my car runs within those tire ratings", overinflating a tire, stuffing it on a wheel which it's not designed for throws all original tire rating and specifications out the door.

Now set this on a wheel that is not designed for street use and use it on the street is not a good recipe. Many seem to get these as they are inexpensive, but I ask those folks, this is the front of your car, the wheels you use to steer, and do you want to consider taking additional risks to save a few dollars when there are better more suitable choices?

The choice is up to each individual on what they prefer to choose. I’m merely pointing out to some who may not fully understand or realize what they may be doing. I also try to give a resolution to my discussion instead of just looking like I’m bashing an individual’s decision or consideration.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
Steve knows what he is talking about.
Not saying he doesnt. He is obviously in the wheel game for a reason. However if you are worried about ABS still functioning with front runners then maybe you shouldnt be running them.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:30 PM
FormerVendor

Nitrouspowrdss, If you choose the right diameter wheel, that is one less thing you're going to have to worry about. Actually, for the folks that did want to run the tires I don't suggest, our ABS delete kit is something I'd highly suggest. At least this way, your braking can be corrected and you'll no longer be hampered by worrying about tire sizes or ABS malfunctions/calibrations.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vcious04
Searched discount and tirerack, shows it's not avail anymore. Any idea's?
Here's what we have available...

Quick Reply: Where to buy 165/80-15 tires now?