Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

17" rims + lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 05:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17" rims + lowering?

In the near future (few months from now) I will be getting some 17x9.5 inch chrome Z06ers to go all the way around. Will I be able to use the Eibach Pro-Kit along with the 17 inch rims, without any rubbing, etc? I also have MAC midlength headers, but they don't seem to hang bad at all. How many inches would the Pro-Kit drop me? Thanks
Old 01-09-2004, 05:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running 17x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear Z06 rims with the car lowered 1.5" all around and no rubbing. The rear did require a spacer and BFH mod.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Strahley, When lowering an f-body you want the back spacing of the wheels to be no less then 7 1/4" ( 7" 1/2 would be better ), anything less will cause tire rub. I'm not in favor of the the BFH mod blaSSt mentioned but then again it's not my car, you'll also want to get an adjustable PHR when you lower your car. My car seems to be lowered about an 1" with the Pro-Kit, good luck with your choice.

Al
Old 01-09-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

I lowered my car with 19X9.5's on all four corners with Eibach Sportlines. Best damn thing I ever did to the car. Sportlines are NOT too low, and I had no issues with rubbing.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

I'm running 17X9.5 Y2k Corvette replica wheels for the F-Body with Eibach Pro-Kit springs. No problems with the wheels at all. However, the ride quality suffers after the kit settles and you'll lose traction big time. Prepare to get some new shocks, lower control arm relocation brackets and an adjustable panhard bar. I'm having to do that with my upcoming tax return.

These pictures are before the back settled.

Old 01-09-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sounds like trouble in the future. So when I lower it and get the new rims, should I replace all those parts you mentioned with aftermarket ones? (Shocks, lower control arm relocation brackets and an adjustable panhard bar) I already planned on the panhard bar, but putting the other ones in wouldn't bother me at all if it's for the better. Will the car still "settle in" and lose traction with all the other suspension parts?
Old 01-09-2004, 09:57 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JonSS
I lowered my car with 19X9.5's on all four corners with Eibach Sportlines. Best damn thing I ever did to the car. Sportlines are NOT too low, and I had no issues with rubbing.
Same with my car and I agree with everything. My rims are 18x9.5 in front and 18x10.5 in the back.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

look in my sig for a pic of my car. I have the eibach pro kit and 17 by 9.5 rims all the way around. No rubbing at all, you will love your suspension, it makes the car look so much better
Old 01-10-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Strahley
That sounds like trouble in the future. So when I lower it and get the new rims, should I replace all those parts you mentioned with aftermarket ones? (Shocks, lower control arm relocation brackets and an adjustable panhard bar) I already planned on the panhard bar, but putting the other ones in wouldn't bother me at all if it's for the better. Will the car still "settle in" and lose traction with all the other suspension parts?
Yes, this is what I understand to be true anyway. Right now my car bumps REALLY hard and rides rough.

As far as settling, that's going to occur anyway. That's actually a good thing. You'll notice if you get the Pro-Kit that right away the front looks good but the back looks a little high. After a week to a week and a half the back will slowly go down till it matches the front. In other words, it "settles".

All of what I'm about to type is what I have heard from many people.
So then it looks great but with the shorter springs it throws some other things off. First off the stock shocks/struts are crap and can't handle the more stiff and shorter springs for very long. Mine are apparantly worn out already (or at least the passenger rear one anyway, makes a lot of noise and hits hard). Second, it throws off the rear suspension geometry meaning you don't have as much contact with the road. I have no performance mods besides a catback so far and I have really good tires but ever since the lowering if I mash the gas down hard while I'm going it'll just spin. That's where the LCA brackets and adjustable panhard bar come in.

EDIT: One more thing though, before I get shocks, I'm supposed to check and see if the rubber spring isolators were put back in with the Eibachs when they removed the stock ones. And another suggestion I got: "Also, take some putty/gum etc and put it on the rear bump stops. Go for a ride and then check and see if the gum/putty was disturbed. Then you know the car is bottoming out."

I wish I knew what the hell I was I was doing so I could check those things.

Last edited by SuperDave479; 01-10-2004 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Pro-Kit should not give you any problems with that size rim/tire combo. If it does, then there is some problem.