Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Lost wheel lock key

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost wheel lock key

About two years ago I bought my car from a used car dealership. I slightly recall being given a key for the wheel locks but now I can't find the key at all. Maybe I was never given one, it's too long ago to be sure. Anyways now I have this problem. The car has chrome C5 Z wheels which I assume are replicas, they were on the car when I bought it. I have no way to reach the previous owner of the car to ask where he bought the wheels/locks. Below I've posted pics on the lock in hopes that someone will recognize the design. If I can't find out where to get a new lock how do I get these wheels off? I've been told some tire stores have a tool to remove locks but it could damage the stud/wheel, anyone know more about this? What about getting a mold taken of the lock and having a key made? Any one have any ideas/suggestions?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Teching In

That looks very familiar to my wheel lock for my stock SS ZR1 wheels. Do you have a buddy who has a fbody? Maybe you can check to see if it works.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

hit your local tire shops, they should have a "kit" for removing locking nuts.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can use a twist socket used to remove rounded off bolts/nuts on them. You have to replace them after you use this method because it will severely mangle it upon removal, but it looks like you have to replace them anyways.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

i have the same lock nuts i can let you borrow mine to get them off if you need!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:32 PM

you can go to napa and get kit for removing locking nuts
Old 06-29-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

many of those kits don't work well, especially if the sucker is on there overly tight. My buddy got regular lug nuts welded on top of the security ones to remove them when he was in the same situation.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Take an old socket that just barely fits over the lugs (but not all the way), and beat it on w/ a hammer. Loosen the lug nut, and remove the socket prior to getting the whole assembly off the stud. As w/ a similar method above, ur locking lug nuts are gonna be toast after this procedure, but at least they'll be off.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

I got lucky at a national tire and battery and someone had a camaro with the same key.

Another time I wasn't as lucky, and had to get discount tire to remove them. It was $40, but someone on here got me hooked up at $20. Obviously the lugs were ruined afterwards, but it didn't matter bc I had no key
Old 06-29-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dride76
i have the same lock nuts i can let you borrow mine to get them off if you need!
PM Sent.

To those of you who have used kits or had a shop pull off the lock was there any damage done to the wheel/stud or just a mangled lock?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those sockets for rounded nuts/bolts won't damage the stud nor the wheel. If you can't get a fitting key, use this method with a 18" torque bar. You may need to tap the socket on with a hammer to get it to bite well enough to work. This is how I've removed wheel locks (legally! ) in the past.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
PM Sent.

To those of you who have used kits or had a shop pull off the lock was there any damage done to the wheel/stud or just a mangled lock?
Just damaged locks...
Old 06-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Default use an old socket

Originally Posted by kc533
Take an old socket that just barely fits over the lugs (but not all the way), and beat it on w/ a hammer. Loosen the lug nut, and remove the socket prior to getting the whole assembly off the stud. As w/ a similar method above, ur locking lug nuts are gonna be toast after this procedure, but at least they'll be off.
thats what i have done in the past when i worked at the dealer .. screw it you dont need no stinking kit.. make sure you use a impact gun or you will be there for while!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats what the tire shop done to mine when i got my car and realized the original owners didnt give em the lock key
Old 08-30-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
About two years ago I bought my car from a used car dealership. I slightly recall being given a key for the wheel locks but now I can't find the key at all. Maybe I was never given one, it's too long ago to be sure. Anyways now I have this problem. The car has chrome C5 Z wheels which I assume are replicas, they were on the car when I bought it. I have no way to reach the previous owner of the car to ask where he bought the wheels/locks. Below I've posted pics on the lock in hopes that someone will recognize the design. If I can't find out where to get a new lock how do I get these wheels off? I've been told some tire stores have a tool to remove locks but it could damage the stud/wheel, anyone know more about this? What about getting a mold taken of the lock and having a key made? Any one have any ideas/suggestions?

Losing the wheel lock key is a common concern, when your auto tech tries to find it and gets frustrated because he can't. I did some research on the web and found this, maybe this will help Go to http://www.wheellok.com
Old 08-31-2010, 02:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sears sells a kit made by craftsman, thats what we use in our shop to get most locks off, we also use the method of hammering on a socket when needed
Old 08-31-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Try to find a tapered socket and hammer it on there if you have room. We had them at the dealership for when people didn't have the lock socket or lost it.

Quick Reply: Lost wheel lock key