Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

best street tire for occasional track time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default best street tire for occasional track time?

I was wondering what the opinions are? I was thinking maybe Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Like I said I need something thats gonna hook well. Opinions?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are a lot of good reviews on the Nitto NT-05 tires.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ what he said but what tires do you have and/or what have you tried so we will know what to throw out to ya as far as what are and what arent good tires
Old 07-18-2010, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

well to give you an idea. they are cooper tires and they are bald lol. I didnt realise how bad they were untill fri when I drove 3 hours to the track and I failed inspection cause they were bald. Those are the only tires I ever had on the car. Im just kinda caught in a bind cause I really cant afford tires but I need them damnit. I was looking at BFGoodrich G FORCE DRAG RADIAL and the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 so far. I do want something thats going to last to though.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

I love my Goodyear GS-D3 tires. They handle incredibly well and are the best rain tires I have ever owned on an F-body (14 years of F-body ownership). I can't tell you how long they will last but I doubt any 'soft compound' tire will last long with track use, no matter how infrequently you go. These GS-D3s are pretty expensive to burn up. Have you considered a separate set of cheaper rims and tires for track use?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My dad has a set of the BFG's on his 68 camaro on a 16 inch rim and he has a hard time hooking. not sure if it's driver error (he has a big right foot) but at the track 2 weeks ago he smoked them in first and second wasnt too much better. Track wasn't the best and i don't have any personal experiences...

Also, his car has 650 at the crank..

If i could say the route i'm going with my 98 ss, 2 16 inch steal rims with a set of slicks for the track. and everyday tires will most likely be nitto 555. just a thought though.

Goodluck
Old 07-19-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're willing to make a minor compromise, a Nitto 555R drag radial would work well for your setup. You could expect to get around 10,000 - 12,000 out of a pair for the rear and the traction on the street and at the track would far surpass what you would get from the normal street radials. No, they're not a slick so don't expect them to hook up like one however it should easily shave several tenths off your 60 ft times when they're warm.

As for the fronts, the normal Nitto 555 tires would work well. All together not an expensive combo either (relative to the GS-D3's).
Old 07-19-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

For what u seem to be looking for I believe the nitto 555r drag radial would be about right.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I love my Goodyear GS-D3 tires. They handle incredibly well and are the best rain tires I have ever owned on an F-body (14 years of F-body ownership). I can't tell you how long they will last but I doubt any 'soft compound' tire will last long with track use, no matter how infrequently you go. These GS-D3s are pretty expensive to burn up. Have you considered a separate set of cheaper rims and tires for track use?
Yea iv been told a few times now that the GS-D3's are way over priced and they dont last very long. Not saying they are not a good tire..they are good tires but im being told theres tires just as good that last longer for less $. So im probly not going with those. Yes I am considering a few options. Like maybe getting 4 decent hooking street tires and then get 2 drag radials for the rear when I go. But its all money issues. I live 2.5 hours fromn the track to.

Originally Posted by RoidedSS
My dad has a set of the BFG's on his 68 camaro on a 16 inch rim and he has a hard time hooking. not sure if it's driver error (he has a big right foot) but at the track 2 weeks ago he smoked them in first and second wasnt too much better. Track wasn't the best and i don't have any personal experiences...

Also, his car has 650 at the crank..

If i could say the route i'm going with my 98 ss, 2 16 inch steal rims with a set of slicks for the track. and everyday tires will most likely be nitto 555. just a thought though.

Goodluck
Im willing to bet hes got way to much power for those tires I would probly be ok though.
Yes thats were im leaning as of right now. Having the everyday tires then gatting 2 good rear drags for the track.

Originally Posted by Midnight02
If you're willing to make a minor compromise, a Nitto 555R drag radial would work well for your setup. You could expect to get around 10,000 - 12,000 out of a pair for the rear and the traction on the street and at the track would far surpass what you would get from the normal street radials. No, they're not a slick so don't expect them to hook up like one however it should easily shave several tenths off your 60 ft times when they're warm.

As for the fronts, the normal Nitto 555 tires would work well. All together not an expensive combo either (relative to the GS-D3's).

That does sound like a good idea. I have thought about that also. I would like something that lasts alot longer than those though lol. hmmmm
Old 07-19-2010, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MYSTIC-1SC
For what u seem to be looking for I believe the nitto 555r drag radial would be about right.
Yes but damn I wish they lasted longer than what im hearing
Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MYSTIC-1SC
I agree.

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Yes but damn I wish they lasted longer than what im hearing
Got to give up something to work decent at track.

I use M/T DRs 295x17s & I have got 7411 miles and 39 passes at track. Tires were down to wear bars & sold them for $100. So not a bad trade off. But I have been known to street race.

Quick Reply: best street tire for occasional track time?