Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

question on drag wheels and tucking under fender please help can't get any answer .

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on drag wheels and tucking under fender please help can't get any answer .

I see some cars on the site, that have drag wheels and brakes that the tucks under the fender very .Then you see some that stick out too far,Iknow about the spacers and caliper grinding,not satisfied what i see.please post me some pictures to help me understand how or what to do.HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!! thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of the cars you're seeing are probably mini tubbed with narrowed rear ends. You can tuck a big tire under a stock rear end, but it takes a lot of work. My 15x10s with 7.5 backspace and a 325/50r/15 tire sat just under the rear fender lip, but it took hours of pounding and heating, and grinding to get them under there with that size tire and no spacers.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Hey Camaro, is your car lowered?
Old 09-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Launching!

I think It's all in the backspacing of the rim and the height of the tire when it comes to perceiving the filled in/tucked look on a stock/no crazy BFH, cut up, or mini-tubbed wheel well.

Maybe not the biggest tire example you're looing for but here is my simple set-up, 15x8 5.5in B/S Prostars w/a 275/60/15 Mickey 28" tall, w/ v6 rear springs and Qa1 adjustable's on all 4's.

Prior to that set-up^ I had the exact same rim's, but had a BFgoodrich D/R- 275/50/15, 26'' in tall tire, that balloned off the rim, stuck out, didnt fill in the fender-well and looked horrible.

(notice the difference in wheel gap, and how far the tire ballons off the rim with the exact same suspension set-up compared to the previous photos.)

Old 09-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Default getting front drag wheels totuck under fender

Thank guys for reply and pitures•let me be a little clearer,the front wheel • See some tucked and lowwered. Like the one with ccw wheel. With beadlocks on rear the car is silver in color.the car is in the int ext section listed under 10 second street car that's what I am refering to that guy. Help me get alittle closer to my goal. Keep pitures coming
Old 09-16-2010, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Our SJM-Bogart configured wheels have the largest backspace from front wheel configuration without the need of grinding or adding spacers. We can build our front wheels for the 4th gens up to a 2" backspace and still clear the stock brakes. If you have drag brakes, i can go up to almost 3 inches (2 7/8").

The larger the backspace number, the more the wheel tucks inward into the fender area, it is that simple.

Most other companies have a final backspace of typically ~1.5" after the spacers are added to clear the brakes. Additional spacers are not needed for our wheels.

You can see many of our images in our gallery for the Camaro Starting here: http://sjmmanufacturing.com/customer_cam.html

Other than backspace, small variances you may notice may be from the lowered car and or adjustments made needed to align the steering.

Give me a call or shoot me an e-mail if you have further questions or comments.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ hey Boosted i love the Formy. looks killer with the drag setup in the first pic you posted
Old 09-17-2010, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chon79
^Hey Camaro, is your car lowered?
The Camaro is not, stock springs with rear ISO's removed.

Quick Reply: question on drag wheels and tucking under fender please help can't get any answer .