Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Are Replica Rims any good or are they Junk?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Replica Rims any good or are they Junk?

Does anyone have any sort of Replica wheel from like AAA or Tire Rack? Are they any good, or are OEM better?
Old 02-12-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if OEM has the size you want I would go with that, there easier to balance, fit perfect and are the best quality, otherwise, dont pay too much for replicas
Old 02-12-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was looking at the c5 Wheels on AAA..I wonder if they will last..
Old 02-12-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had a problem with AFS wheels.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had AAA rims, nice quality. Never had any issues.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

AAA and Afs arent site sponsors. We stand behind the quality of all of the replica wheels we sell with structural, and finish warranties
Old 02-17-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Todd, I will check into your wheels!
Old 02-17-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VoodooWS6
Does anyone have any sort of Replica wheel from like AAA or Tire Rack? Are they any good, or are OEM better?

I have two AAA ws6 wheels that I mounted a set of drag radials on. They are better quality than the oem wheels. My OEM wheels were pitted, tarnished from the factory. They just don't have "GM" cast into them.

Gary
Old 02-17-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

very happy with afs three sets and they have all been arrow strait even after a few hundred miles of torture, and u cant beat the price with a stick.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can certainly take that stick and beat them.

At least give the vendors (that keep this site alive) a chance to meet or beat these other internet warriors
Old 02-18-2004, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

Thumbs up

I have a set of chrome Z06 replicas that I bought from Todd 6 months ago. While thats not a very long time as of yet, the wheels still look brand new. He hooked me up with a set of Yokohama tires as well. Can't complain at all about the products nor the service. Give him a chance, he will hook you up.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
I've never had a problem with AFS wheels.
I have the ZR1 AFS wheels (17X11 & 17X9.5). They're at least as high quality as OEM, only thing is, they sent them to me with one of the directional tires mounted the wrong way. Kind of a problem. Other than that, no complaints.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:58 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say that AFS is probably the better of the American-made knock offs. Detroit, Replica, and OE Concepts are all more or less the same imports. I'm going with Replica's from Todd@DTD myself.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Todd, do your replica wheels have clear coat on them? Also they are made from aluminum right? I have heard about some being made of steel when you get them!!
Old 02-19-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have replica's but I figured I would chime in about the OEM's. My car has roughly 20K on it - has barely ever seen rain and my wheels are pitted and flaking in a few spots. I am a FIRM believer that the replicas have a MUCH BETTER finish.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of AAA Z06's. No problems at all and the quality seems to be pretty darn good compared to other chrome rims I've seen (But then I take really good care of my car).
Old 02-19-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

SORRY TODD, I JUST GOTTA CHIME IN AND SAY BACK A FEW MONTHS AGO I BOUGHT ZR-1 REPLICAS FROM YOUR COMPANY (DISCOUNT TIRE DIRECT) AND I AM JUST ASTONISHED TO THE CRAP IVE HAD TO DEAL WITH AND JUST HOW UNHAPPY I AM STILL!!! TO PUT IN THE SHORT THE WHOLE (ALL 4 OF THEM) FIRST SET HAD BLEMISHES ON THEM GREATER THAN 1 INCH IN SIZE (PICS AVAIBLE UPON REQUEST) WHERE YOUR OWN GUYS TOLD ME THE CROME JUST WORE TOO THIN YOUR CUST SERVICE DID SWAP THEM OUT FOR ME LOCALLY FOR ANOTHER SET THAT WERE A GOOD DEAL BETTER BUT STILL HAVE BLEMISHES OF AT LEAST 2 OF THE RIMS PLUS THE INSIDES IOF THE WHEELS ARE UNUSALLY ROUGH THE EXPLINATION I GOT FOR THIS IS " WELL YOU ONLY PAYED $1800 FOR YOUR RIMS AND TIRES SO DONT EXPECT TOO MUCH" WHICH IS A DIRECT QUOTE FROM ONE OF YOUR LOCAL EMPLOYEES... AND TO MAKE THIS ALL THE BETTER AFTER GETTING ALL SET UP WITH MY NEW WHEELS THEY CAME UNBALANCED LIKE 1 WEEK LATER BEACOUSE THEY DECIDED TO USE THE RIM LUBE ON MY 315 555R TIRES I TOOK IT BACK AND THEY REBALANCED AND TOLD ME THAT I MY THE GARENTEE YOU ALL OFFER WITH YOUR WHEELS (LIFE TIME BALANCE) SAN NO LONGER GOOD BEACOUSE I BOUGHT THEM DIRECT AND THEY INSISTED ON RE APPLYING THE RIM LUBE AGAIN AFTER I REQUESTED IT NOT BE USED!!! AFTER I LEFT THERE I IMMEDATELY NOTICED THAT THEY ONLY PARTIALLY FIXED THE PROBLEM AND I RETURNED AND COMPLAINED THAT SAME DAY THEIR NEW ANSWER WAY WELL THIR DRAG RADIALS THEIR NOT GONNA RIDE THAT SMOOTH AND YA PROBALLY ARE JUST LOOKIN FOR IT NOW... SO I SAID OK AND RELULUCTANTLY GAVE IN.. COME TO FIND OUT NOW A FEW WEEKS DOWN THE ROAD THAT MY TIRE PRESSURES ARE WAY THE **** OFF LAST NIGHT I WENT OUT THERE AND CHECKED AND THE FRONTS WERE 27 PSI & 34 AND THE REARS WERE 30 & 22 ... TODAY WHEN I FIXED THIS PROBLEM MIRACULSLY MY VIBRATION PROBLEM DISCIPATED COMPLETELY !!!! .... I MEAN COMMON THIS IS JUST REDICULOUS THAT ID PAY 1800 TO GO THRU THIS MUCH CRAP .. JUST WRITING THIS POST I FEEL LIKE PUNCHING MY KEYBOARD MORE THAN TYPING DUE TO MY OVERALL AGERVATION IVE FACED WITH TIS WHOLE ISSUE NEVER THE LESS THE SAFETY RISKS IVE BEEN EXPOSED TO DUE TO YOUR COMPANYS NEGLANCE!!! I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ITEM SO LONG AS I LIVE FROM YOU ALL PURELY DUE TO THE INCOMPTDENCE OF THE INDIVIDUALS I DELT WITH (WITH EXCEPTION OF THE SALES AND CUST SERVICE STAFF) I KNOW THIS POST IS NOT GONNA EXACTLY MAKE YOU HAPPY BUT I DONT HINK IT WOULD BE A FAIR FORUM UNLESS PEOPLE LIKE MY SELF HAVE A BALANCED OPNION BASE TO OBSERVE I MEAN ALL I WAS AFTER WAS STOCK QUALITY RIMS NOT SOME 5 PIECE RACEING WHEEL BUT MY STOCK RIMS WERE SMOOTH AND BLEMISH FREE UNLIKE THESE WHICH ARENT HOPRRIBLE LIKE THE FIRST SET BUT STILL ARENT WORTH THE MONEY I PAID FOR EM
Old 02-20-2004, 12:05 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

whoa...
Old 02-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
whoa...
Yea I don't blame him tho
Old 02-20-2004, 02:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Todd@DiscountTireDirect
I can certainly take that stick and beat them.

At least give the vendors (that keep this site alive) a chance to meet or beat these other internet warriors
Hey if you can beat just over 400 bucks for 4 nonblemished perfect chrome 17x11, and 17x9.5 zr1's to my door for $435.00 with the same quality as the previous zr1's I have recieved from Afs i will order a set right now and see how long it takes me to bend the **** out of them. Second of all I do my part and work with many vendors on this site. Namely LS1speed and QMP,
just because your a vendor doesnt mean you have proven to me that your product and customer service is top notch so keep your stick