Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Looking at picking up tires for all for corners on the TA and was wondering if anyone had tried these. They seem to get pretty good reviews and tread life is one of the highest Ive seen for good tires. Opinions please
Old 03-03-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

is there a particular reason you're looking for an All-Season tire? Not being a dick, just asking. I havn't tried them, but my car won't ever see snow.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, my car does see rain and unfortunately snow sometimes. Actually drove it through "snowmageddon" because my jeep blew a head gasket. Just like having the option in case I need it.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree pa sucks with winter,a backup is always good.i have never tried the a/s pilots though.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blackls1ta00
i agree pa sucks with winter,a backup is always good.i have never tried the a/s pilots though.
Think PA sucks??

Try the Rochester, NY area...110+" of snow annually!

To the OP...Are those the Michelins that have the "tractor" looking tread? If so, I have them on my Corvette. They're OK in my opinion, but not great. However, I don't drive the 'Vette in the snow, so I'm kind of sorry I didn't get something with a more summer oriented tread. The situation I faced when I bought them was GoodYear was on strike, I didn't really warm up to the Korean made Kumho tires, and a number of people raved about the Michelins riding better that the GYs (I have the run-flats).
Old 03-04-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

I dont think they have a tractor thread. I have KDWS now, but theyre very noisy and I was hoping to find another tire with less road noise. Heres a link to them
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...sw=false&fcb=*
Old 03-05-2011, 06:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
I dont think they have a tractor thread. I have KDWS now, but theyre very noisy and I was hoping to find another tire with less road noise. Heres a link to them
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...sw=false&fcb=*
Those are the ones that I have, except that mine are the "run-flat" style....
Old 03-05-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read a lot of all-season tire reviews and the Pilot Sport A/S Plus is one of the very few tires that gets consistently all-around glowing reviews. Nobody dislikes these tires, industry gold standard. Supposedly worth the high price.
However, if you can get the Continental Extreme Contact DWS or whatever in your size then you should; the reviews are just as good and they're cheaper.
FWIW I really liked the KDWS when I had them.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

I have these on my Formula. The price is high and the tread life is good, but I don't think that they will make 45,000. I have roughly 15,000 miles on the set of 4 I have now and they have held up great so far. 45,000 though might be pushing it. If you buy these, do so with the intent of winter use. I drive the Formula all year round and this year I encountered a couple very icy days and two very heavy snowfall days. I never use TCS or ABS as car has the faulty ECBM issue so tires have to be a priority to me. In around 4in to 6in of snow my car drove very well. I encountered a very rough hill with stranded motorists and and cars off everywhere and I was forced to slow to a creep and then regain traction. I had to light them up pretty good to get going, BUT it went when others didn't.

I will say though that 6in is quite a bit for a car like ours and even with these tires if you come to a stop in it then your car will NOT track straight like an AWD car or 4x4 just so you know. These are good tires, but they don't work miracles. In the rain I have no worries. Best rain tire I have ever purchased. I don't hydroplane and the ride feels controlled, even with reeeeeaaallly bad shocks. The only issue I have is traction on the very edge of pushing the car. This tire is a hard tire compared to most and it will slide around quite a bit if you push it really hard. Under normal driving conditions or adverse weather though these tires do keep you planted very well and if you have the money I would say this is the very best A/S tire for the dollar.

Last edited by Chaotic Deconstruct; 03-05-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Chaotic Deconstruct
I have these on my Formula. The price is high and the tread life is good, but I don't think that they will make 45,000. I have roughly 15,000 miles on the set of 4 I have now and they have held up great so far. 45,000 though might be pushing it. If you buy these, do so with the intent of winter use. I drive the Formula all year round and this year I encountered a couple very icy days and two very heavy snowfall days. I never use TCS or ABS as car has the faulty ECBM issue so tires have to be a priority to me. In around 4in to 6in of snow my car drove very well. I encountered a very rough hill with stranded motorists and and cars off everywhere and I was forced to slow to a creep and then regain traction. I had to light them up pretty good to get going, BUT it went when others didn't.

I will say though that 6in is quite a bit for a car like ours and even with these tires if you come to a stop in it then your car will NOT track straight like an AWD car or 4x4 just so you know. These are good tires, but they don't work miracles. In the rain I have no worries. Best rain tire I have ever purchased. I don't hydroplane and the ride feels controlled, even with reeeeeaaallly bad shocks. The only issue I have is traction on the very edge of pushing the car. This tire is a hard tire compared to most and it will slide around quite a bit if you push it really hard. Under normal driving conditions or adverse weather though these tires do keep you planted very well and if you have the money I would say this is the very best A/S tire for the dollar.
Thats just the kind of response I like to hear. Thanks for the info! I will probably end up getting these tires and even if they only last 30k, that should be 4-5 years for as much as I get to drive my car.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:33 AM
Teching In

Did you ever get these tires? I had been between purchasing the new BFG KDW or staying with an all season and the Michelin PS A/S was the other option. Decided I was going to try a summer tire and go with the KDW NT but neither Costco or the Chevy dealer could get any. So, Pilot it is. They came in yesterday. Get them mounted today or tomorrow. From what i've read they are very good. Mine is a daily driver, often rain and unfortunately snow once or twice a year. The BGF a/s tires left me stranded a few days last January so I wasn't even going to bother with a/s tires this time. Looking forward to feeling the difference if they are any quieter or smoother. If you did get these, or anybody else, how are they. How do they look? Post a pic if you have. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

These are one of the better handling and wearing tires that we carry. I have personally owned them in the past and they are an excellent tire. All Michelin tire currently have a $70 dollar rebate on a set of 4 for a limited time. Click HERE for details.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have had those, considering the hardness they did pretty well. Talked plenty before letting go in turns. Mine lasted under 15k, simply my driving habit. Mine wore out in the center before the outer edges, only tire that did that for me so keep an eye on the tread depth and let out air as needed.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have micehline pilot sport a/s along with replica chrome zr-1 rims that I bought from discounttiredirect back in 2002 when i got my ss.
I recommend you don't buy them, compared to my oem goodyears they ride worse, there is more vibration, more noise, and a harder ride. I've had them for 8 years now, car has 57k miles and I'd estimate I have about 25k on hese tires. I wouldn't say they are a bad tire, but for what i paid for them and how they ride I am not happy. I think a lot of reviews for this tire are for a different size and on different cars, for a 275/40-17 on a camaro with bilstein suspension I thought i paid too much. Mine is a daily summer driver, 50/50 highway/local roads. traction is good, wet performance is fine, cornering i'm not impressed but mine's not driven hard, and like any other 275 tire they will not work in snow so don't get your hopes up about the all-season part meaning they will get you through winter.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:43 AM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Remeber guys the new AS+ is a significantly upgraded tire over the older standar AS.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:19 AM
Teching In

well, i had little choice. Thats what Coscto,or anybody else for that matter in my area, could get on short notice in a 275-40-17. Leaving in 36 hours for a 1700 mile road trip and wasn't going to complete it with the nearly bald BFGs I had (of which one had a serious hole thanks to a curb on my girlfriend's driveway but that is a completley different story of which of I am taking full responsibility). Anyway, talked to a few tire people and read tons of reviews on this and other car tech sites and felt good about my purchase. High marks on tirerack.com, etc. My first impression... it looks like my Z should be pulling a plow in farmer crack's field with hay or beans flying out the back. but on the other hand, if it can get the job done, and comfortably, then that is a plus. Looking forward to the long road trip ahead and for the first time rooting for some inclement weather to try them out. With the 70 bucks off plus the great Costco price plus some more off for the warranty on the tire I effed up the price was very good for what I got. Don't ever expect an F-body to be capable of handling the snowstorm we had back in Jan in ATL that left my car stranded for several days. But on the other hand, these look meaty enough that I am curious to venture out in some white stuff. And it is toooo friggin hot down here this year. Bring on winter dammmit. Thanks. love, Brian.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:03 AM
Banned

Yep I used and loved the Pilot Sport Plus A/S on my 01 Cobra. They were certainly much better than the sumitomos that were on the car when I got it. The previous tires would react when I hit a puddle, 'almost' hydroplane if you know what I mean. The Pilots hit water and didn't react at all, a noticeable improvement. And as you say, they have a good mileage rating too, better than most Z tires.

In short, I plan on using them again on the new car when it needs new tires.