Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Why do lowered 315's need rolled fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Why do lowered 315's need rolled fenders?

If you do not change the height of the bumpstops, then why does it matter if the car is lowered or not?

I have 315's on 17x11 rims on my 99 Camaro SS convertible. The car has 140K miles so the suspension is really worn and I do bottom out. I noticed cuts on the outside of the tire, so I rolled the fenders. I want new suspension, but worry that the tires will hit the fender lip, because I also use 5/16" spacers to clear the inner wheel wells and bumpstops.

Does lowering the car mean that the tires will be able to travel further up into the wheel well?
Old 06-08-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Berniempb
If you do not change the height of the bumpstops, then why does it matter if the car is lowered or not?

I have 315's on 17x11 rims on my 99 Camaro SS convertible. The car has 140K miles so the suspension is really worn and I do bottom out. I noticed cuts on the outside of the tire, so I rolled the fenders. I want new suspension, but worry that the tires will hit the fender lip, because I also use 5/16" spacers to clear the inner wheel wells and bumpstops.

Does lowering the car mean that the tires will be able to travel further up into the wheel well?
It means they will. If you give the tires less space to travel then they will hit stuff that you don't want them too. They will go up higher than they would if you lowered the car.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Junkie

On lowered cars, the distance from the tire an fender is smaller... So when you hit a bump the tire will hit the fender unless it is rolled. I'm not really sure what you're asking. LOL.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

ummm.. you answered your own question right here...

Originally Posted by Berniempb
... I noticed cuts on the outside of the tire, so I rolled the fenders.
Lowered of not your car was already hitting the fenders and cutting the tires!

SS's have spacer blocks on the bump stops (basically suspension travel limiters) on them from the factory anyone with a car that came with 16" rims won't have the travel limiters giving more suspension travel to start with and much higher chance of cutting a tire if they don't roll the fenders. With spacers on there though it will hit the fenders regardless they are rolled or not. you should take them off and simply remember to always jack the rear up by the pumpkin on the rearend. that will keep the axle from dropping and the wheels from hitting the bump stops.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind, a "lowered" car will have the rear axle move laterally, in relation to the body. This movement is caused by the arc that's created by the panhard bar. This is why either lowered suspensions, or tires that are significantly wider that stock, can sometimes require an adjustable PHB be installed on the car, so the tires don't "collide" with the quarter panels....
Old 06-09-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

A watts link will do a better job of keeping the left wheel from hitting the fender than an adj. phb. The adj. phb will only re-center the axle at rest, it does not decrease the amount of arc travel while the suspension is being loaded and unloaded.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
A watts link will do a better job of keeping the left wheel from hitting the fender than an adj. phb. The adj. phb will only re-center the axle at rest, it does not decrease the amount of arc travel while the suspension is being loaded and unloaded.
Correct, but for someone who doesn't have the $$$ for a Watts Link, the PHB is an alternative...
Old 06-09-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
I've been running a lowered adj. rod/rod PHB for years without contact. IMO, a watts is a waste of money for a street car that will never be raced. A street car will never need the kind of adj. that a watts provides. I'm willing to bet that most people (non-racers) couldn't tell the difference between the two on the street.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 193 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
I've been running a lowered adj. rod/rod PHB for years without contact. IMO, a watts is a waste of money for a street car that will never be raced. A street car will never need the kind of adj. that a watts provides. I'm willing to bet that most people (non-racers) couldn't tell the difference between the two on the street.
Strongly agree. In addition, with a lowered car you've limited the bump travel, and the arc scribed with in that limited travel doesn't leave you with a lot side ways movement.

Quick Reply: Why do lowered 315's need rolled fenders?