Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Fikse Centers R&R

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fikse Centers R&R

I have a set of Fikse FM-5 wheels and would like to refinish the centers. I know that it's not to hard to remove the centers, but how hard is it to reinstall them w/o marring up the face of the centers or scratching the inside of the lip?

I was also wondering how important is it to put the same center in the barrel it came out of?

Do the centers need to be orientated the same way it came out?

I know the bolts need to torqed to 15ft. lbs. using Loctite thread locker, but do the bolts have to be torqed in a certain pattern?

The reason I'm asking these questions, I'm thinking about removing the centers and having the them professionally polished. If the above is true, then I'm going to take extra steps to insure they go back in the same way they came out. I just want to make sure I don't have any issues balancing the wheels when mounting tires.
I did a thorough search here and on the web and couldn't find anything on this subject. I hope someone here can share their experiences, that would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!
Brian
Old 12-28-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must've started 15-20 fikse threads already.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm curious as well...
Old 12-28-2011, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
You must've started 15-20 fikse threads already.
On the contrary, If your counting, I only started 2 other threads regarding Fikse wheels. If you don't like it, I'm sorry. That's the way it is.
Hopefully someone that can help answer my questions will chime in. After all isn't that what this forum is for.... to help each other out?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Thank you!

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
I'm curious as well...
Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

CCW's site has a lot of good info on disassembling and re-assembling 3 piece wheels.

There's no magic to it.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bowtie-Bri
On the contrary, If your counting, I only started 2 other threads regarding Fikse wheels. If you don't like it, I'm sorry. That's the way it is.
Hopefully someone that can help answer my questions will chime in. After all isn't that what this forum is for.... to help each other out?
LOL, I was exaggerating a bit... try calling Fikse about this and they should be able to tell you.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

I'm in the process of redoing my set as well. I used some online forums and the CCW tech section for help. There are actual forums dedicated to modular wheels... You will find good info if you search for it on Google.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have taken 3 sets of Fikses apart and put back together. Don't bother calling Fikse they wont help you. CCW's website is very helpful on this. The dude doesn't tq their bolts or use threadlock either FYI. This really isn't rocket science.

1. I did not keep the centers matched or orientated to any of the wheels.
2.I did not use any thread lock on the bolts. There was none on them to begin with.
3. I tightened all the bolts down in a star pattern by hand and them torqued them to around 15-20ft lbs and just went in a circle.
4. They all balanced out perfectly fine.

Anything else?

And I count 3 threads you started lol
Old 12-28-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NBM99SS
I counted 5. HAHA
Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Call me overly cautious. I figure better safe than sorry. I'm new to the 3 piece forged wheel world. That's why I've been asking alot of questions. I'm used to buying 1 or 2 piece wheels. Thanks to all that have replied to my questions. Counting this thread, I figured I only posted 3 different ones related to these wheels.
Thank you NBM99SS and everyone else. I feel much more comfortable removing the centers now.

I have taken 3 sets of Fikses apart and put back together. Don't bother calling Fikse they wont help you. CCW's website is very helpful on this. The dude doesn't tq their bolts or use threadlock either FYI. This really isn't rocket science.

1. I did not keep the centers matched or orientated to any of the wheels.
2.I did not use any thread lock on the bolts. There was none on them to begin with.
3. I tightened all the bolts down in a star pattern by hand and them torqued them to around 15-20ft lbs and just went in a circle.
4. They all balanced out perfectly fine.

Anything else?

Old 12-29-2011, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KTK Z28
I'm in the process of redoing my set as well. I used some online forums and the CCW tech section for help. There are actual forums dedicated to modular wheels... You will find good info if you search for it on Google.
What's the most popular forum for modular wheels?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bowtie-Bri
Call me overly cautious. I figure better safe than sorry. I'm new to the 3 piece forged wheel world. That's why I've been asking alot of questions. I'm used to buying 1 or 2 piece wheels. Thanks to all that have replied to my questions. Counting this thread, I figured I only posted 3 different ones related to these wheels.
Thank you NBM99SS and everyone else. I feel much more comfortable removing the centers now.
If you plan on doing this with the tires on let all the air out of them I'll add. And watch the for the valve stem when you knock the center out as it will hit it if you still have them in.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:47 AM
On The Tree

They have no tires on them so I should be good. Thanks again!

If you plan on doing this with the tires on let all the air out of them I'll add. And watch the for the valve stem when you knock the center out as it will hit it if you still have them in.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just finished doing that to my cc dubs. Resealed them and everythng too. Just look at there website. Though it did say to torque them to 30-32 foot lbs which I did.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98BLOWNZ28
I just finished doing that to my cc dubs. Resealed them and everythng too. Just look at there website. Though it did say to torque them to 30-32 foot lbs which I did.
Ya did you see his tq wrench? 3/8's air impact lol. He says "torque comes out to about 30-32ft lbs"
Old 12-30-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ya did you see his tq wrench? 3/8's air impact lol. He says "torque comes out to about 30-32ft lbs"
Hahah I know! I was like what is this guy doing?! He looks all uncomfortable on camera and everything. I just used a torque wretch, but it seems like it took forever.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

ccw's wheels are also held together different.. they use a nut and bolt, fikse uses just a bolt and threaded hole.

op, the way ive found that works is to take a paint can and lay a towel over it, place the center on it face down and lay the hoops on (they sound like they are still sealed) then line up the holes and install the bolts and tighten in a star pattern
Old 12-31-2011, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Thats good info! Thanks for the tips.
I haven't disassembled them yet. There's a place less than 2 miles from my house that polishes steel and aluminum. I'm going to see if they would be willing to polish the centers for me. If not, then I'll attempt to do it myself.

Anyone try polishing the back side of the barrels behind the centers?

Originally Posted by my bandit
ccw's wheels are also held together different.. they use a nut and bolt, fikse uses just a bolt and threaded hole.

op, the way ive found that works is to take a paint can and lay a towel over it, place the center on it face down and lay the hoops on (they sound like they are still sealed) then line up the holes and install the bolts and tighten in a star pattern
Old 12-31-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

you can polish them, but it takes alot of work and what ive found, it doesnt look the same as the lips

Quick Reply: Fikse Centers R&R