Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Cheaping out on tires is putting your life at unnecessary risk

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive mod is most important in accident prevent.

The only time I can see blaming the tires in an accident are when there is an actual problem with them, improper inflation, worn out, improper speed rating etc.

A drive has to change his driving habits to accomodate the situation, so If the tires arent road course slicks and dont stop like them, its the drivers responsibility, to adjust for that.

And just because tires are cheap doesnt mean they arent good, and especially doesnt mean they aren't safe, there are lots of good value tires out there where you get alot of tire for the price.

Even if you put super crappy tires on a 4th gen fbody and your braking performance suffers hugely, it would still stop better than most cars people were driving not too long ago. Remeber when everyone got along with 4 wheel drums. Its the drivers responsibility to not plow into someone.

Im all for getting the best tires you can afford because it can make a huge performance different, but as far as im concerned if you have tires that would pass a safety inspection, the tires are considered safe for the road so all else is the drivers fault.

Problem is people need to learn to drive, its not the tires fault when you plow into somebody.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
Drive mod is most important in accident prevent.

The only time I can see blaming the tires in an accident are when there is an actual problem with them, improper inflation, worn out, improper speed rating etc.

A drive has to change his driving habits to accomodate the situation, so If the tires arent road course slicks and dont stop like them, its the drivers responsibility, to adjust for that.

And just because tires are cheap doesnt mean they arent good, and especially doesnt mean they aren't safe, there are lots of good value tires out there where you get alot of tire for the price.

Even if you put super crappy tires on a 4th gen fbody and your braking performance suffers hugely, it would still stop better than most cars people were driving not too long ago. Remeber when everyone got along with 4 wheel drums. Its the drivers responsibility to not plow into someone.

Im all for getting the best tires you can afford because it can make a huge performance different, but as far as im concerned if you have tires that would pass a safety inspection, the tires are considered safe for the road so all else is the drivers fault.

Problem is people need to learn to drive, its not the tires fault when you plow into somebody.
At last. A reasonable and well thought out post.
Well done.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How expensive of a tire do you need to ensure zero chance of mishap?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just gonna throw this in there...... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?&ttid=91
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...&affiliate=FH8

I will agree with others and saying that a brand new "cheap" tire is far better off than any near bald tire. I do think that tires should be reasearched and purchased based on their intended purpose. Obviously nobody would pick a grand touring tire to go participate in AutoX events. It shouldnt be any different on a daily driver, pick the right tire for the conditions you're going to encounter throughout the year. When it comes to tires, I do believe you get what you pay for. I dont understand it myself when I see members purchasing used tires that are obviously worn out and saying they got a great deal on a set of tires. They burn up what little is left in a week and have to find another used set. Just buy a new set of tires that will actually last and will be safer/controllable for you and everyone else on the roads. I really cant stand when I recommend replacing tires to a customer, such as I did last week to a guy with a Mazda3 (Right front tire was new due to road damage, but other three were at 1 to 2/32") and he stated he didnt need new tires yet as it is still summer.....Just makes me angry that there are people out there that are such cheap asses and extremely irresponsible. Its tiring trying to remember license plates of vehicles of customers with bald tires, especially when winter gets closer. At that point, I dont even care if they purchase them through the dealer I work for, just get new tires! I think thats all of my .02 cents,
Old 08-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Launching!

wise man once told me... for every dollar you spend to go faster... spend at least 2 dollars to stop it
Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Oh agreed! ^^^
Old 08-07-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Cam's initial post was meant to assist drivers (especially newer guys) that may not know better, and followed up nicely by the Tire Rack. There should not be any negativity towards his view or post. "You get what you pay for" is extremely applicable when it comes to tires. Sure, most tires are safe but there better not be any complaining or whining about tramlining, driving 'in the wet', or abnormal wear issues once you hit the 50% tread mark. All these issues can 'contribute' to accidents.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Cam's initial post was meant to assist drivers (especially newer guys) that may not know better, and followed up nicely by the Tire Rack. There should not be any negativity towards his view or post. "You get what you pay for" is extremely applicable when it comes to tires. Sure, most tires are safe but there better not be any complaining or whining about tramlining, driving 'in the wet', or abnormal wear issues once you hit the 50% tread mark. All these issues can 'contribute' to accidents.
Oh please. He left out the part where trained police officers believed "excessive speed and alcohol" were factors and went straight to the "miss-matched" tires were at fault.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really does not matter what tires were on the car once you read and comprehend "ALCOHOL" into the equation......

Tires are a VERY important part of safety, If you have to skimp on quality tires you don't need to take your ride to the limit!
All tires require a DOT number and you can be pretty sure at "NORMAL" speeds they will be just fine to get you from point a-b ....

What did I learn from the report, the driver was NEGLEGENT
And could have killed any one of us fortunate to be having this conversation......
Old 08-07-2012, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

dollar general has tires?hmmm
Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok...what's a good affordable tire?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nexen n3000 275 40 17. I have them and love them.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:56 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

9 year old tires..... just saying its your life, dont be cheap with it.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/03/25/paul-w...nical-failure/

RIP Paul, sad loss.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

There is a very clear difference between "cheap" tires and "bad" tires.

Yes, the report determined that he had bad tires. But, your initial statement that "cheap" tires are "bad" is completely misplaced, and quite frankly, ignorant. Every tire is designated for a specific use. As long as the tire is used for those purposes, then calling a tire bad because it DIDN'T cost $400 is just plain stupid.

Sure, we get what we pay for. And yes, there are some tires out there that are not as good as others, even for the same price range. But, as long as the tires are used as they are designated to be used, then any resulting mishaps fall on other reasons, usually operator related i.e. low pressure, punctures, alignment issues... and most of all, NEGLECT.

NEGLECT is what happened here, not that he bought a pair of Firestones.

I get the point that you are TRYING to get across, to a certain extent, but you're ability to express it is lacking some fundamentals.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
9 year old tires..... just saying its your life, dont be cheap with it.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/03/25/paul-w...nical-failure/

RIP Paul, sad loss.
The main problem was speeding and the article confirms it. Stop trying to validate your initial ignorant argument which we tried to explain to you but it was apparently to complicated for you.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:42 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Agenda here is to promote Safety and increase performance.

Dont like the word cheap? Shitty, Crappy, hard, bald, not ideal, cheap, whatever adjective you wish to use its all semantics dancing around the key concern here and that is;

TIRES ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF A PERFORMANCE CAR. PERIOD.

So just think about that before using sub par tires next time you want to go fast and risk your life, and possibly others. Buy new, not old, quality tires engineered for your intended usage.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:27 AM
Captain Double Post

ive known a few that have lost there lives with bad tires, my dads old gfs kid list his life n his bf , he had a ford ranger lowrider with crap tires, very sad , sure other things come into play but they play a big part
Old 06-23-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Was searching for info on Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500's and found this nearly 2 year old thread brought back to life.. ... One comical thread. I needed a good laugh after this long Monday. My old $90 tirerack special Zrated cheap'o tires have held up just fine with the amount of power my car puts to the ground and it's my responsibility to replace them so clearly the cost isn't a factor. 99.99% Driver. and in the off road world, I am amazed at what bald street tires with full air can rock crawl.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Can't go cheap on tires.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

for my own personal entertainment, At what dollar amount is the line drawn between a "cheap" tire and a "not cheap tire"?

Last edited by hawk584; 06-24-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Cheaping out on tires is putting your life at unnecessary risk