Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Cheaping out on tires is putting your life at unnecessary risk

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 12:00 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Poor adjective perhaps, but look at the bright side, pricey tires are good for the economy

Last edited by cam; 06-24-2014 at 01:58 AM. Reason: comma comma weee comma
Old 06-24-2014, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There should be a comma in place of the question mark.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of intentional ignorance going on here (not the OP). Cheap is the wrong word to use though (yes the OP).

I've never seen used bald tires out perform new tires, ever. That, I think, was the point of "cheapening" out. The guy in the linked article bought used bald tires (obviously being three different brands) for his RICEd out ride.

He spent all that money on CAI, Exhaust, rims, what ever else and bought bald used tires. He cheaped out.

I don't think tires have to be expensive to be good. My Continental ExtremeContact DWS's are far cheaper than the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires I had before them. But the Conti's absolutely destroy the Goodyears in traction in all conditions and directions.

Those $400 Goodyears caused too many situations that could've been an accident; going sideways in 2nd at 15mph in a left hand turn is no fun when you're not expecting it. The $240 Conti's prevented some accidents....

Buying "cheap' good tires isn't cheapening out. But buying $20 used tires is.

I think it's better said, do some research and buy the best tires for your needs regardless of price.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

still waiting for see at what dollar amount someones perceived "not cheap" tires start at...$120,$125.....$150...$200...$201...$201.50... $201.52.....? come on meow.. someone started it now back your opinion.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hawk584
still waiting for see at what dollar amount someones perceived "not cheap" tires start at...$120,$125.....$150...$200...$201...$201.50... $201.52.....? come on meow.. someone started it now back your opinion.
I didn't start this thread, but I don't think cheapening out is quantifiable over $100 per tire. I don't think you can find tires for under $100 ea that can handle the stop, go, and turning of our cars in ALL of our vehicles limitations..... I could be wrong, but I've never seen $100 tires that can keep up with my Conti's....

On the flip side I've seen $400 tires get owned by my Conti's....

It's also dependent on the vehicle. $40 tires on a Prius would be fine, but not on a 400+WHP RWD vehicle without traction control.

The point, I think, of the original post is to put good tires on your car. Not cheap used ones like the one in the first post article.

For reference Cheap doesn't always mean low cost, it can also mean low quality or performance, thus low cost. But not everything low in cost is cheap.

Something of great value isn't cheap, but something cheap will have low cost.....

You seem to be more stuck on the word used than the content of the message. Cheap in this instance means;

cheap
CHēp/Submit
adjective
inexpensive because of inferior quality.
"cheap, shoddy goods"
synonyms: poor-quality, second-rate, third-rate, substandard, low-grade, inferior, vulgar, shoddy, trashy, tawdry, meretricious, cheapjack, gimcrack, pinchbeck; More
antonyms: high-class
NORTH AMERICANinformal
miserly; stingy.
"she's too cheap to send me a postcard"
synonyms: miserly, stingy, parsimonious, tightfisted, niggardly, chintzy, frugal, penny-pinching, cheeseparing More
antonyms: generous
of little worth because achieved in a discreditable way requiring little effort.
"her moment of cheap triumph"
synonyms: despicable, contemptible, immoral, unscrupulous, unprincipled, unsavory, distasteful, vulgar, ignoble, shameful More
antonyms: admirable

Last edited by hrcslam; 06-24-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

So, are my Nexen N3000 too cheap then?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
So, are my Nexen N3000 too cheap then?
Only if you drive your car with those tires in the winter, but they aren't all seasons anyway....
Nexen N3000 Owners, Your Thoughts?

Overall though, I've read mixed reviews on those tires. Great traction dry and warm as reported by seemingly everyone. Horrible traction cold though. Good traction wet. Some report balancing and steering walk problems too.

JMHO....
Old 06-24-2014, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm with you hrcslam, but based off the every first post several years ago, "If you cant afford TOP quality tires? Dont build a fast car then." the Op put a value to a TOP quality tire... I'm just wondering at what value does a not cheap, top quality tire even starts at? I'm fully understanding to the nature others have posted regarding worn tires and tires per ones driving style injunction with picking the proper tire but my question still stands.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hawk584
I'm with you hrcslam, but based off the every first post several years ago, "If you cant afford TOP quality tires? Dont build a fast car then." the Op put a value to a TOP quality tire... I'm just wondering at what value does a not cheap, top quality tire even starts at? I'm fully understanding to the nature others have posted regarding worn tires and tires per ones driving style injunction with picking the proper tire but my question still stands.
I feel you, I don't think top quality and price are directly proportional personally. But, crappy tires and price certainly are. It's unquantifiable. It's unquantifiably proportional... LOL.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Only if you drive your car with those tires in the winter, but they aren't all seasons anyway....
Nexen N3000 Owners, Your Thoughts?

Overall though, I've read mixed reviews on those tires. Great traction dry and warm as reported by seemingly everyone. Horrible traction cold though. Good traction wet. Some report balancing and steering walk problems too.

JMHO....
Heck no this car doesn't see winter. That's what my trusty rusty Trailblazer is for.

They seem to be pretty good for what I'm doing but then hey anything would be better than the bald, egg-shaped Dunlops it had prior
Old 06-25-2014, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Heck no this car doesn't see winter. That's what my trusty rusty Trailblazer is for.

They seem to be pretty good for what I'm doing but then hey anything would be better than the bald, egg-shaped Dunlops it had prior
Honestly I wouldn't drive my car in the Northern Winter months regardless of what tires were on it. Tried it once in a 2002 Corvette on Max Performance Summer tires in Colorado, stupid idea. My Brother (his Vette) couldn't even get it to move, with traction control on. I drove it around the block, mostly sideways. Never did it again.

Basically I buy tires on the philosophy that I wouldn't wear golf cleats to play Basketball or slippers to play tennis. The best tire I can get for my needs, followed by the lowest price that fits that category.

I did check out those Nexans too ( I believe they are owned by Michelin), but Tucson gets cold and I drive my car year round. Ended up with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS's which had the highest reviews and the lowest cost for a tire that fit my needs.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Those are what I'll probably get next. But my new wheels came bundled with the Nexens which is partly why I have them. I wasn't expecting a whole lot out of them but compared to what I had they are lightyears better.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is also a big distinction between unsafe, and not up to expectation. See all the time on here, "My Sumitomos (for example) hook and corner for crap". Of course they don, they were cheap for a reason. I am not saying they are unsafe, but you can not expect them to perform with more expensive tires. If one is ok with that, then fine.

My car is just a weekend fun car. When I take it out, I like to push some corners and enjoy it. Given what I wanted from the car Sumitomo, Nexxen, Federal, Maxxis did not even make the cut. I paid $14x per tire for Nitto NT-05's. Do I feel they are worth the extra $40 per tire over a, a wouldn't run on my lawn tractor, Sumitomo. ABSOLUTELY.

Quick Reply: Cheaping out on tires is putting your life at unnecessary risk