Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Aftermarket TPMS for 4th Gens?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question Aftermarket TPMS for 4th Gens?

Anyone running an aftermarket TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) for 4th Gens? What have you found to be the best out there? I am tired of manually checking tire pressure and finding them low -- I want an alert in the cabin!

Anyone tried the Schrader or Orange systems? Orange has an iPhone app too...

Amazon.com: Schrader SCH-BRK-4PC TPMS Retrofit Kit For Passenger Car and Light Truck (Wireless-Battery Operated Display): Automotive Amazon.com: Schrader SCH-BRK-4PC TPMS Retrofit Kit For Passenger Car and Light Truck (Wireless-Battery Operated Display): Automotive

Orange Electronic P409S Retrofit Tire Pressure Monitoring System : Amazon.com : Automotive Orange Electronic P409S Retrofit Tire Pressure Monitoring System : Amazon.com : Automotive

This Steelmate has a nice iPhone integration, do like!:
http://www.steel-mate.com/TPMS8886/en/product.html

TIA

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-25-2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: add urls
Old 07-25-2013, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about that myself... Looks cheap! I can usually feel when my tire goes flat, but the extra layer of security is nice
Old 07-27-2013, 11:17 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Tire psi will fluctuate with temperature. The colder the air the denser it is. Seems like a waste of money, if your tires are going flat, they are leaking.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the Orange branded setup for a year. It is a nice little thing. I had the display velcro'd to the ash tray lid stuck open. I liked seeing my tire pressure especially on long trips. Its nice to know how much your tires flucuate and also how long it takes them to heat up. I started running nitrogen in my tires and noticed only about a 3psi difference when driving, then the system stopped reading the TPMS. it may just be dead batterys but i just stopped using it. when it worked I liked having them. maybe when i replace the wheels I will put new batteries in and use it again.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by scj
Tire psi will fluctuate with temperature. The colder the air the denser it is. Seems like a waste of money, if your tires are going flat, they are leaking.
No I think it is instructive to know these variations as soon as possible, after all, new cars after 2008 all have this standard due to a law.
http://www.bartecusa.com/tpms-legislation.html

Originally Posted by cookba
I ran the Orange branded setup for a year. It is a nice little thing. I had the display velcro'd to the ash tray lid stuck open. I liked seeing my tire pressure especially on long trips. Its nice to know how much your tires flucuate and also how long it takes them to heat up. I started running nitrogen in my tires and noticed only about a 3psi difference when driving, then the system stopped reading the TPMS. it may just be dead batterys but i just stopped using it. when it worked I liked having them. maybe when i replace the wheels I will put new batteries in and use it again.
How many years did it take for the batteries to die?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Banned

about a year and a half or so. I think if i put the same batteries that new cars have in their TPMS i would have last longer. not sure what kind of batteries they used
Old 07-31-2013, 04:42 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

I have personally used the Orange system in the past. Worked well.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Funny that TireRack only sells retrofit kits for 2 or 4 wheel trailers -- why not for regular vehicles?

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...toring+Systems

Originally Posted by rudytirerack
I have personally used the Orange system in the past. Worked well.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by scj
nitrogen...unaffected by temperature...that is all
Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Interesting, even if it would not apply to a 4th Gen...

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/what-you-m...gray-for-2014/

"One fascinating advance in vehicle dynamics control that’s being implemented with the new Stingray is in the use of the car’s tire pressure/temperature sensors to control the car’s ABS and electronic differential. The way that this essentially works is that the Vette’s electronics divide tire temperature into three categories: “cold,” “warm” and “hot.”

Putting it simply, the C7′s onboard sensors make the ABS and differential either more or less responsive/aggressive, depending on tire temperatures. Because this system doesn’t measure tire temperature directly, deducing it from the temperature of the TPMS microprocessor in each wheel, it’s one strategy that has not yet been perfected, but as Jacquot points out, the Stingray’s monitoring system is a vital piece of data collection technology."

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-07-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cookba
about a year and a half or so. I think if i put the same batteries that new cars have in their TPMS i would have last longer. not sure what kind of batteries they used
The batteries in a tpms sensor are not replaceable. For now atleast.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
No I think it is instructive to know these variations as soon as possible, after all, new cars after 2008 all have this standard due to a law.
http://www.bartecusa.com/tpms-legislation.html
A stupid law.

I have no problem with the TPMS system for those who want it, but don't force everyone to pay for a system they don't want. I just check my pressures regularly. Stupid government.

Originally Posted by BRUTL
No, all gasses are affected by temperature. Some more than others. If you feel like spending money for someone to put 100% nitrogen in your tires to slightly reduce the effects, well, it is your money. But air is 78% nitrogen already, so it isn't like there is going to be a huge difference. Nitrogen filled tires is a scam.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

I used to think nitrogen was a scam, until my store bought a nitro machine. It works, flat out. If I let my slicks and skinnies sit for a few weeks they would go noticeable low. (brand new wheels and tires). Filled with nitrogen. No more problems.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
A stupid law.

I have no problem with the TPMS system for those who want it, but don't force everyone to pay for a system they don't want. I just check my pressures regularly. Stupid government.

I agree. It's law for the sake of gas mileage. The government wants to force us to have over inflated tires to get better mileage, despite wearing your tires unevenly and wasting more money on tires than the gas savings saves you.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD02WS6
I used to think nitrogen was a scam, until my store bought a nitro machine. It works, flat out. If I let my slicks and skinnies sit for a few weeks they would go noticeable low. (brand new wheels and tires). Filled with nitrogen. No more problems.
*shrug* My tires on my Trailblazer have good old air in them and have never leaked once. Well, aside from when I ran over a bolt and put a hole in the one
Old 08-07-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

A slight tangent, but I am curious what nitro machine you bought, and would you recommend it?

Originally Posted by 1BAD02WS6
Old 08-07-2013, 10:15 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTL
Okay so what's your point? Not every tire place has access to nitrogen, not even many service stations or gas stations with air pumps have it either. Nitrogen makes the use of a tpms system even more pointless. If the nitrogen pressure is going down, your tires are leaking. Considering there is even a way to make th air in your tires 100% nitrogen.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Tpms is not pointless. You need to change your frame of thought for just a sec. Everybody on this site is a car enthusiast. So we notice when a tire looks low. We check the psi before we go on a road trip. We look at the tread of our tires...... A large amount of drivers on the road don't do any of that. Ever! They only get the oil changed when the light comes on. They only check the psi when the light tells them it's low. That's the point of tpms
Old 08-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Banned

Nitrogen is affected. In a normal heat-up of the tire with regular air I saw between 5-7psi increase. with nitrogen i saw no more than 3. this matters, especially for long drives, like when I drove from FL to CA and back. being able to adjust the psi to what i saw at highway psi adds a few more mpg's and gave me a good idea of what i like for street pressures compared to long drive pressures. for example, i normally ran my NT-05 tires at 35 front and 30 rear with normal air, well when the tires heat up now im running 40 front and 35 rear and its not driving as i like it. once i saw how much psi is added when heated, i made the change to the psi level when cold to ensure when heated, i was for sure running 35 front, 30 rear. and i noticed the difference in the way it felt, drove, and performed. I have also had my car sit for months, like 6 months straight, and with Nitrogen I lost nothing. back when i had normal air I had to watch it because it would lose easily 10psi in 6 months. Also you have to keep in mind the tire compound and how different pure Nitrogen is compared to regular air with Nitrogen in it. Tire compounds definately play a role in how tire psi fluctuates.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket TPMS for 4th Gens?