Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

NT05R vs. MT ET Street Radials?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NT05R vs. MT ET Street Radials?

So I need to get drag radials for use on the stock wheels as the Michelin PS2's are starting to show signs of rot on the edges, and they weren't capable of holding the new power (should be ~450rwhp with new exhaust). Car is an M6 and the car will only see 1500-2000 miles or so a year, no rain ever. I just want to know if the Mickeys will be more beneficial at this level, and also be good to go at the drag strip dropping psi compared to the NT05R. Price differential isn't much, so just looking for the best option, saw a few comparisons that put them fairly close.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No competition. Mt et streets.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

You will get more miles out if the nittos, but the mickeys def hook better.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

MT and those Nittos hook pretty close if you can heat up the Nittos. The Nittos have a stiffer sidewall and will handle like a regular street tire but grip like a DR.

MT will hook better at the same PSI but you give up a little handling.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

I was leaning towards the MT's, mileage isn't a concern. Either they last or they don't. If the sidewall is stiffer on the Nittos, then the MT's for sure.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Being that you don't drive in the rain and put very few miles on your car, get the Mickey Thompson's. I have them and LOVE them. I don't drive my car in the rain and put just about the same amount of miles on mine that you do on yours. Even if you get caught out in the rain, they do fine, as it happened to me once.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:55 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

The NT05R is basically a street tire made with a much softer compound.

The MT has thin sidewalls and is made out of a pretty similar compound to be honest.

The M&H tires might be a little better than both if you want just pure traction on the street.

I went Nitto, because well, the car is made to go fast in a straight line and in corners. Being able to take an on-ramp at 100 is impossible with MTs. Not with NT05Rs...
Old 01-27-2014, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

At your HP level, those Mickey's will hold that every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
MT and those Nittos hook pretty close if you can heat up the Nittos. The Nittos have a stiffer sidewall and will handle like a regular street tire but grip like a DR.

MT will hook better at the same PSI but you give up a little handling.
Nah. Thunderstuck and several others use ET/dr's on road courses so if they are giving up anything in stability, [wiggle], they are making up for it in grip.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seem to handle pretty well to me
I've seen Kevin's car autox on mts, if the sidewall is giving up grip compared to a nitto i sure as hell couldn't see it
For the average enthusiast they have more than enough grip for whatever kind of driving you want to do
Old 02-04-2014, 08:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

The MTs suck for handling, at least the ones I had.

I have a very tied down suspension, with no play. All rod ends, zero play. When I ran a MT DR 315-35/17 as my street tire I noticed on the highway the car would move around half a lane. Same brand rim and sized tire I put my Toyo R888 track tires on the rear and the car did not move an inch on the same section of highway. I even bumped the MT tire pressure up to 40psi and had the same issue with them squirming all over. This was a crowned bit of road, but only the MTs did this. I could not hold it straight with out sawing the wheel all over. A very unstable tire.

I am not saying that the NT05R will be better, but I had 555Rs in the same size before them and they never made me feel like something was broken in the rear suspension like the MTs did. BTW I currently have NT05rs, just never driven them, so I can not say.

My car made 510rwhp before this motor and ran 10.7s with a 6spd, plus out ran GTRs and Vipers at lapping days. So I understand a little about what you are looking for. I also got spanked by 2 heavily modded STIs too.

For my drag set up I do use a 315-45-16 on the rear with skinnies and I do not notice them, but with them the whole car moves around on that set up, front and back. It does not even resemble a great handling car with those.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was told that too before I bought my Mickey's, but I have not experienced any of those issues yet, and even got caught out in a pretty heavy rain storm with them. They handled flawlessly.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Teching In

I hated the nitto's my car was all over the road.. The MT's are far better, ive had them on since 2008 and they are still going..
Old 02-04-2014, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Tire pressure is key with the Mickey's.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

I have done autocross in the past, once a year with a local corvette club. I considered the R888's but I really only need 2 tires, and street grip is a lot more important to me than 1 day of autocross. I have friends with the MT's and they love them, don't really know anyone who has had the NT05R's but there is a local guy with almost new ones I am trying to get a deal out of. Keeping the stock wheels is pretty important for now. I want to get some Bogarts in the future, but thats not this year.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like the Mickey's will suite you very well then.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
The MTs suck for handling, at least the ones I had.

I have a very tied down suspension, with no play. All rod ends, zero play. When I ran a MT DR 315-35/17 as my street tire I noticed on the highway the car would move around half a lane. Same brand rim and sized tire I put my Toyo R888 track tires on the rear and the car did not move an inch on the same section of highway. I even bumped the MT tire pressure up to 40psi and had the same issue with them squirming all over. This was a crowned bit of road, but only the MTs did this. I could not hold it straight with out sawing the wheel all over. A very unstable tire.

I am not saying that the NT05R will be better, but I had 555Rs in the same size before them and they never made me feel like something was broken in the rear suspension like the MTs did. BTW I currently have NT05rs, just never driven them, so I can not say.

My car made 510rwhp before this motor and ran 10.7s with a 6spd, plus out ran GTRs and Vipers at lapping days. So I understand a little about what you are looking for. I also got spanked by 2 heavily modded STIs too.

For my drag set up I do use a 315-45-16 on the rear with skinnies and I do not notice them, but with them the whole car moves around on that set up, front and back. It does not even resemble a great handling car with those.

Sounds like Mickey Thompson bias plys, they feel pretty scary on the street, wandering everywhere
I've been in the car in the video above, it feels very planted with mt et streets
Old 02-05-2014, 02:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mkvamso
Sounds like Mickey Thompson bias plys, they feel pretty scary on the street, wandering everywhere
I've been in the car in the video above, it feels very planted with mt et streets
Nope, the DRs, same as seen on the rear of the car below. They were actually MT ET Street Radial II. I have gone through a crazy amount of tires since getting the car in 98.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...StreetRadialII

Old 02-05-2014, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

Rampant, I love your car, when my stock bottom end goes, I am hoping to be able to build something similar to your motor, maybe without the Harrop since I am a bit poor,and Formulas are better anyways.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks.

There is a much cheaper way to do it now.

Mast posted this yesterday on Facebook. I paid more than they are asking and theirs have better heads.

Hell of a deal.

http://www.mastmotorsports.com/view.php?id=500&c=4&s=6

Quick Reply: NT05R vs. MT ET Street Radials?