Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Drag Radials on the Street: Not Impressed

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drag Radials on the Street: Not Impressed

**First of all let me say that my car is in no way intended to be a drag racing machine. The purpose of the drag radials (for me) was to improve straight line grip on the street.**

The tires I had installed before were Toyo RA-1's, 225/50/15. The RA-1's are 100 treadwear R-comp tires. They are usually used as track/roadrace tires. They handle heat and rain well and tend to last about 10K miles on the street. With the RA-1's on a warm (70+) day, I could roll on the throttle in 2nd gear and they would dead hook.

I recently purchased a set of MT ET Street Radials (same 225/50/15 size) thinking they would help me out on the street and maybe let me use some power in 1st gear. I had the drag radials mounted and a couple days later I headed to the drag strip to see what they would do. Once I settled on 17lbs of air I was able to knock a tenth off my 60' (1.7) but I felt that with a little more practice, I cold have knocked another tenth off. I was pretty happy with there performance at the track.

On the street it a totally different story. I don't run the same 17lb of air as I do at the strip since the tires generate too much heat at that pressure during normal driving. I've been running them at 22lbs and while the temperate is under control, the traction is terrible. Forget about 2nd gear traction, I can now lay down a big smokey burnout on the highway in 3rd gear at 80-90mph.....despite how cool this looks, it's definitely not a good feeling.

I've been watching the tread on these tires and have noticed that they are always "marbled".....that's probably not the right term for it but it's like small rubber beads build up on the tread. From what I can tell, this is the cause of the poor traction. A water box and a small burnout would make quick work of the excess rubber...But I think it's pointless to have drag "radials" that only work at the drag strip.

For now I've ordered 2 more RA-1's so I can use 2nd gear.

Do other people have this problem? If so, how do you get any grip with these things? Any other drag radials better suited to street driving?

Old 06-09-2014, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

my first instinct is to suspect your alignment or something suspension related...they should not look like that under normal driving

the only times mine do that is after I have scrubbed them hard at an autox and they still only do it on the outside edges

in the picture above it looks like yours are doing it from just past the center all the way to the inside shoulder

other than that I don't have any ideas but something doesn't seem right
Old 06-09-2014, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

I don't run much camber in the rear...about 1.5* from what I remember and a very slight toe-in. less than 1/16", not much. Suspension is AST single adjustable coilovers, all poly bushings. definitely stiffer than stock but nothing crazy. It was build as a street car.

I should have taken the picture from a little further away, but its nearly all the way across the tread. Where you see it stopping on the left side of the tire is right where the sidewall starts.

What pressure are you running? I know its apples to oranges since my car is 2400 lbs but it might give me a ballpark. Higher pressure seems to make it worse, lower pressure builds heat (maybe not a bad thing).
Old 06-09-2014, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Now that I think about it, I haven't tried a higher pressure without the "marbles" on the tread. Maybe the pressure is too low. I might have to find a secluded area and make my own makeshift water box to try to clear the marbles off.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Would be curious to hear how they respond at a higher pressure on the street.

You're probably already ahead of me on this one, however I figured I would still ask -- what's the date code on the tires?
Old 06-09-2014, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Hmm, haven't even considered the date of the tires. I ordered them from Summit some time in February and they sat in my living room until I mounted them up in April. I'll check the dates when I get home.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

I run mine around 22lbs on the street. I have ran them as high as 25lbs. At the track I drop them to 17-18lbs.

Strange issue for sure. I have had a pair before which were really old and while they weren't quite as sticky as fresh ones, they were close.

I find it more strange the other tires you used worked better.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well damn, 465 HP, 448 FT LB at the wheels and 2400 LBS! You've done the equivalent of sticking a 1200 cc crouch rocket engine in a kids go-cart! No wonder your blowing the tires off. If you told me the car did 10's in the quarter I wouldn't be doubting it.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Just checked the build date on the tires. 4613. So looks like they were made toward the end of October last year.

I'll reserve final judgement until I can "clean" off the marbles and try a different pressure.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:17 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

With due respect to the fact that power levels are nowhere near comparable, I have never had "marbles" or any other problems with Mickeys. I run them at 27 on the street and 18-22 on the track depending on conditions.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:20 AM
12 Second Club

You're asking alot of a 8.2" wide tire plus it looks like you fried the hell out of it. A tire with the tread all balled up like that won't work well. Read this article,
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/081...ag-tires-tips/
Old 06-10-2014, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Sure it seems like it would be a lot to ask. But when a drag radial is performing far worse than a Toyo RA-1, something isn't right.

After some reading (thanks for the link) it seems like this "graining" of the tire can be removed by reversing the rotation of the tire for a couple passes. I'll give it a shot later today.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MX6.0
Sure it seems like it would be a lot to ask. But when a drag radial is performing far worse than a Toyo RA-1, something isn't right.

After some reading (thanks for the link) it seems like this "graining" of the tire can be removed by reversing the rotation of the tire for a couple passes. I'll give it a shot later today.
Does that mean reverse burnouts? Lol. J/k
Lots of the street guys here have went back to the Nitto DR over the Mickeys. Big horsepower cars. I'd clean them off and try more air.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just checked the build date on the tires. 4613. So looks like they were made toward the end of October last year.

I'll reserve final judgement until I can "clean" off the marbles and try a different pressure.
So the age of the tires isn't an issue.

It does seem like a tall order to get that tire to plant that type of power in such a lightweight car, however it's encouraging you had success with the RA-1.

The RA-1 is a great road race tire and offers surprisingly good straight line traction (when warm), however my experience with the MT is that they're even better for straight line traction. At worst, I would've expected the MT to at least be on par with the RA-1's. I agree that something seems odd here.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we need a burnout video so that we can totally evaluate the situation. Ya know, for science.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORK?
I think we need a burnout video so that we can totally evaluate the situation. Ya know, for science.
Ask and you shall receive

Old 06-24-2014, 07:18 AM
Teching In

making 465 in a 2400 pound car I bet that thing is a blast to drive lol
Old 06-24-2014, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

I wonder if it's a case of once the drag radials start spinning they get too greasy to work whereas the Toyos are able to manage the heat better?
Old 06-24-2014, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask and you shall receive
That's the kind of burnout you come across on the road and think what the hell made that?! Never would it cross my mind to think oh there's another one of those 1/4 mile Miata burnouts.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My MT ET's would look exactly like that when they would get turned over on the street. Those soft tires hate being spun on dry pavement/concrete.

Quick Reply: Drag Radials on the Street: Not Impressed