Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Weld wheels QC/ new wheels not straight

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weld wheels QC/ new wheels not straight

I had to buy new RTS front runners as I somehow bent my current ones. I had a terrible vibration in the front end that would start around 45. I took my buddies identical 15x4 RTS off his car and the vibration immediately went away so I know it was isolated to the front wheels. Now to my Weld wheels problem:

Has anyone else ordered new Weld RTS 15x4 in the last month? I ordered a set from Summit a few weeks ago, got them in and put just the wheel on the balancer and one had a slight wobble and the other had quite a noticeable wobble. Called Summit and they sent me 2 new ones. Got the 2 new ones in and these had the same wobble to them. Instead of sending these back we decided to mount the tires and give them a shot. Just as I figured, they vibrated a good bit around the 40-65mph range just like before. What's going on with Weld that their QC sucks this bad?

These wheels are coming back off my car so Summit can "check them out". Lord only knows how long this will take.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 02-02-2015, 07:20 PM
Teching In

WOW, call weld direct. i know they have new owners now again ,but damn. I know Greg wouldn't have put up that. i used to work for them and my step-dad was the vice president for over 20 years. cut out the middle man, summit
Old 02-03-2015, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by funnytruck93
WOW, call weld direct. i know they have new owners now again ,but damn. I know Greg wouldn't have put up that. i used to work for them and my step-dad was the vice president for over 20 years. cut out the middle man, summit
I tried that. They said to deal with summit. Great customer service, NOT!!
Old 02-03-2015, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Usually summit will do right cause they deal in such volume and they have satisfaction guarantee. I'd tell them your situation.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by droksformula
Usually summit will do right cause they deal in such volume and they have satisfaction guarantee. I'd tell them your situation.
I have and they are doing what they can to fix it. They don't have any more in stock so they are refunding my money. Jegs had a ton in stock so I just ordered 2 from them. They will be here Thursday so I'll keep y'all posted how those turn out. I'm hoping these will be from a different batch or something.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This entire situation stinks, and I hope this won't happen to CCW, now that they're owned by Weld.....
Old 02-04-2015, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

I hope not either. If this set is bent I'm going to return them and get some billet specialties I guess. I'm over dealing with this issue.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

in for results. I ordered a set of 15x10s and 15x4s from jegs a week ago. I dont have tires at the moment to mount and test though so I am curious to your results from the jegs set.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by k_garretson23
in for results. I ordered a set of 15x10s and 15x4s from jegs a week ago. I dont have tires at the moment to mount and test though so I am curious to your results from the jegs set.
One had a very slight side to side wobble. The other wobbles like he **!!!!! I took a video of it so I'm going to call weld now.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by k_garretson23
Take just the wheels and stick them on the ballencer and see if they have a wobble.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

Latest update: I finally got someone at weld that gave a crap, Diena. She is SUPER helpful and wanted to fix my problem unlike the other lady that works there. I'm sending both wheels back to jegs. Diena is going to drop ship two from weld and spin check them before they are shipped to make sure they are perfect. I'll keep y'all updated.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:03 PM
Teching In

good deal
Old 02-07-2015, 02:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The innEr barrel on my rears is a little out of round. I bought mine used from a member though so you know how the story goes "they're perfect, except all the water spots nicks etc". Weird how they only hit the caliper in one small section though. Got the fronts new, no issues with them.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HISS
The innEr barrel on my rears is a little out of round. I bought mine used from a member though so you know how the story goes "they're perfect, except all the water spots nicks etc". Weird how they only hit the caliper in one small section though. Got the fronts new, no issues with them.
I will buy a lot of parts used. Wheels aren't one of them. Especially lite weight ones.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

A little update on this. I have been through 13 front 15x4 rts wheels. Yes 13! And all of them had a wobble. Every single one of them! The last time, I got 5 wheels in so I stuck just the wheels on the balancer without tire once again and took the best 2 and stuck tires on them. These still had a slight wobble to them before you put a tire on them but once you stuck a tire on them it amplified the wobble both side to side and up and down. I stuck them on the car just to see what would happen and as I suspected, the wobble I saw on the balancer transmitted to the steering wheel ect. I'm so over their crappy wheels so I took them back off and they are on their way back to Jegs for a refund. Talk about pieces of crap wheels! I ordered a full set of Billet Specialties street lites the other day and they came in today. They are super high quality. I stuck all 4 (2 front, 2 rears) on the balancer and they are absolutely perfect! Stuck my front tires on the front wheels (yes the same ones that were wobbling like hell on the rts) and they were smooth as glass. I couldn't be happier with the Billet Specialty wheels. Everything about them is quality. I feel sorry for anyone that has bought Welds in the last few months as im sure that vibration your trying to track down is they're crap quality control.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's crazy. I have Billet Specialties and was thinking of going to the Weld RTS but probably not now?
Old 02-22-2015, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just curious are you balancing this using an adapter to hold the wheel by going into the lug holes or just the universal one that applies pressure by the face.

What do you mean wobble. from left to right or up and down ?
Old 02-22-2015, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by a98ws6
That's crazy. I have Billet Specialties and was thinking of going to the Weld RTS but probably not now?
They won't get another dollar of my money if that tells you anything
Old 02-22-2015, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
Just curious are you balancing this using an adapter to hold the wheel by going into the lug holes or just the universal one that applies pressure by the face.

What do you mean wobble. from left to right or up and down ?
I tried it both ways. They wobble horizontally as well as vertically. Some worse than others of course. I even stuck just the wheels as well as the wheel with tire on the car and you can watch it wobble like hell. Billet specialties were absolutely perfect. Welds, junk.

Quick Reply: Weld wheels QC/ new wheels not straight