Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Discount Tire Direct vs. Discount Tire Retail Store

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discount Tire Direct vs. Discount Tire Retail Store

Ok, I think I decided on getting the BFGoodrich KDW's instead of the Goodyear GS-D3's. But my question is, why is there so much price difference between the quote I got at my local retail store and the price of the direct website?

For the KDW's, the quote I got at my local store was $215 a peice, but I got onto the direct website and there they are listed at %152 a peice. They have free shipping, and they'll ship them to my local retail store, where I just pay a price to have them put on.

Why is the price that different, will I end up paying the like $62 a peice price difference for installation or something? I haven't called my retail store to find out what they'd charge me for that. But what are the drawbacks of ordering from discount tire direct, if any? Are these like second teir tires, as in they didn't completely pass inspection etc. when they were made so they're cheaper, etc. Is there any reason I shouldn't get them from direct, and can someone lay out what other charges will show up, I have to convince my parents to let me buy from them too.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

Actually I'm retarded, the $152 price I was getting was for the KDWS, the all-season set, so now I understand why the price difference. But my question about the difference between retail and direct still applies.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:15 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I believe they are operated as two separate divisions. If you tell them the price online, most stores will match those prices anyways.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think our stores now include mount & balance in their quotes.

We should still bea tad cheaper. Either way, I hope you are doing wek..
Old 06-03-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like Todd said -- the stores include mounting/balancing/valves/pro rated road hazard warranty.

Remember that Discount will also price match competitiors!!!
Old 06-07-2004, 05:26 PM
Launching!

As a former employee of a DTC retail store, I'll shed a little light.

The retail store does charge more (assume this is for mount/balance etc.), but does not detail the cost of these services, lumping the entire sum of the cost into the cost of the tire.

The retail stores will also price match Discount Tire direct prices, but will charge you a "shipping" fee to offset the discount. Bottom line, tell your store what you want. They're generally pretty good about making you happy, If you tell them DTD has free shipping, they shouldn't try to charge you the "shipping" fee. Also, the sales guys at the stores don't work on comission, and on most tires (especially Nittos) there's significant room for the salesman to work with the price.

If the store won't make you a deal, ask them labor charges for mounting and balancing, but be sure to ask more than one salesman, because sometimes you'll get different numbers on labor.

If you're buying wheels and tires (and you know they'll fit without issue) I suggest buying a package from Discount Tire Direct. They'll come mounted and balanced (usually a better balance than you'll get in a store too), and ready to bolt up.

On average, you'll find that Discount Tire Direct will be more receptive to your concerns and offer better customer service in general than most (not all) retail stores (I know, as a former employee that sounds bad...). And for the love of God...inspect your wheels before and after anyone works on them. Many of the techs in the retail stores don't have much experience, especially with high end wheels.

Finally, if you find yourself buying tires quite often (like me), develop a relationship with a particular salesman at the shop. He'll go the extra mile to make sure you're taken care of. You may even request that he mount and balance your new skids himself. And don't forget, a decent tip will ensure that your wheels will never leave that shop with a scratch.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Can you get the tires you order off of Discount Tire Direct put on somewhere other than a Discount Tire retail store? I have a friend at a dealership who'd put them on for me and I trust him completely so if I get the tires from Direct, and the stems/warranty all that stuff is it okay if they're put on elsewhere?

Also how do you actually prove to your retail store you found somewhere cheaper? Do you just tell them or do you have to have something in writing, as in I could print off the price from discounttiredirect.com has given me and take that to them?
Old 06-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Launching!

C6CorvetteZ06:
If you were to order Bridgestones from DT, they would most likely purchase them from the closest Bridgestone dealer...The bottom line, is that you found the best deal, and it happened to come along with great customer service. Sounds like you found a great tire shop!

Ru2n00n3er:
Normally, they'll require the ad you're asking them to match. And yes, just print DTD quotes. They advertice they'll match ANY price, but you'll find that's not always the case. Even though they're the same company, Discount Tire Direct can often times get you tires at much less than the store will. Just shop around a bit. Personally, I prefer to deal with Discount Tire Direct, because in general, their reps are more knowledgable, and a little more willing to go the extra mile.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im an assistant manager at a discount in tallahassee. as said before the price difference it for the mounting balancing blah blah blah

there is some room to work with prices but not too much, especially if it isnt something in stock at discount or DTD (direct).

even working there now i do always recommend watching your stuff very closely. just about every store has a guy who is big into cars and when high end stuff comes in or something you can tell the customer put alot of time and money into he usually takes over. try to find that guy
Old 06-09-2004, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Well I tried to use DTD but never got a return phone call.
So I ended up at the local Discount retail store, and they matched the online price exactly.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy ALL my tires from DTD.. i get GREAT service.. NO TAX and FREE SHIPPING.. Plus buying from Todd supports this site

Quick Reply: Discount Tire Direct vs. Discount Tire Retail Store