Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Mickey Thompson ET Streets, street II's, or Street S/S?...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mickey Thompson ET Streets, street II's, or Street S/S?...

It's almost time for some new drag radials and I was wondering if anyone has tried the et street II or the et street S/S. If so, how are they as compared to the regular et streets?

I have Toyo TQ's right now, they do awesome at the track, but on the street I still can't hook on a 20-30 roll very good. I was going to get the et streets, but I am wondering if the other two does as good as the et streets. I won't be driving it in the rain, but if I do happen to get caught out unexpectedly, the other two look like they may get better wet traction.

So I would like any opinions on the et street II and street s/s vs the regular et streets or even they toyo tq's if you have one? I'll be pushing more power than I had on this setup.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 10-09-2015, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

When you say regular et street are you asking about the radial or the et street bias ply because they are different tires. If you're asking about the et street radial you need to specify radial. I've run the radials and street 2 radials, and I can tell you you're kind of asking an odd question. Here's why, they are the same compound. My 305/40/18 in my sig is not available in a radial 1 but is available in a radial 2. So how would one compare the two tires when they aren't available in the same sizes. If you must or choose to run a radial, the et street radial 1 or 2 is going to be about as sticky as you can get (with the exception of the radial pro but that only comes in a couple of sizes). I personally would not drive them in the rain, so I don't consider them DD friendly.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

pretty sure the radial 1 & 2 are the same compound...the 2was released for bigger wheels.

I will be going from a toyo tq 315-35-17 to a 275-50-15 ET radial, so I can offer some feed back over the next couple weeks. I know not the same size but better then nothing I suppose.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
When you say regular et street are you asking about the radial or the et street bias ply because they are different tires. If you're asking about the et street radial you need to specify radial. I've run the radials and street 2 radials, and I can tell you you're kind of asking an odd question. Here's why, they are the same compound. My 305/40/18 in my sig is not available in a radial 1 but is available in a radial 2. So how would one compare the two tires when they aren't available in the same sizes. If you must or choose to run a radial, the et street radial 1 or 2 is going to be about as sticky as you can get (with the exception of the radial pro but that only comes in a couple of sizes). I personally would not drive them in the rain, so I don't consider them DD friendly.
I figured by saying et street II that everyone would have known I was comparing the two raidals, but you are right, I mean the radials. Sorry for the confusion everyone. It's not a DD and don't plan on driving it in the rain, but no matter how good you plan, an occasional shower pops up and I was wondering if one tread patter was better than the other and if it sacrificed any dry traction. I should have said that I'm running stock 17x9" wheels....it was a long day at work when I posted this.

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
pretty sure the radial 1 & 2 are the same compound...the 2was released for bigger wheels.

I will be going from a toyo tq 315-35-17 to a 275-50-15 ET radial, so I can offer some feed back over the next couple weeks. I know not the same size but better then nothing I suppose.
Yeah I would like your feedback for sure. For now I'll just be running 275/40/17 until I get my 15" weld rts.....kind of tapped out from the turbo build and the wife will cut my nuts off if I order wheels now lol. I know the et streets II I would actually have to use 295/45/17 and I know it's not recommended for 9" wheels, so that could be a deal breaker. But the regular et street radials and the s/s radials come in stock sizes, so it may come down to just those two.

Has anyone had any luck with running 295's on a 9" wheel? Pro's/Con's? I've read the stickies and know they don't recommend it, but I've seen a lot of people are doing it. Thanks
Old 10-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I have 255/60/15 ET Street Radials on my nova. Hooks from a 40 roll on 20 lbs of boost and a 4L80e trans.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I have 255/60/15 ET Street Radials on my nova. Hooks from a 40 roll on 20 lbs of boost and a 4L80e trans.
That's pretty good with the power you're probably putting down.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

The street IIs aren't made in a stock size. They are a bit of a jump up in diameter. All 3 radials seem to be made from the r2 compound, and since the S/S appears to be a near identical tire to the II, you don't need to make that sacrifice to run a II. I am sort of confused about why MT is making new lines of tires, but not clear the real difference between them other then small visual differences in tread.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I ran the regular mt et st drs for a while. They were amazing at the track and still ok on the street BESIDES driving in the rain. I do not drive in the rain. Best 60' was a 1.5 with a ss3600 with those tires.

I don't go to track often anymore so last time I wanted a better street tire that is cheaper which of course comes with less 60' performance. I went with the toyo tq drs. I love them for street but never tracked them.

If I was going to go to a mostly track tire I would go hoosier dr. I have ran those and they are better than the mt dr imo.

If you drive in the rain I wouldn't wanna run any slicker than the toyo.

I have no idea why some companies try to reinvent the wheel. Maybe a rep at mt could enlighten us LOL
Old 10-10-2015, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
The street IIs aren't made in a stock size. They are a bit of a jump up in diameter. All 3 radials seem to be made from the r2 compound, and since the S/S appears to be a near identical tire to the II, you don't need to make that sacrifice to run a II. I am sort of confused about why MT is making new lines of tires, but not clear the real difference between them other then small visual differences in tread.
Yeah that's what I was wondering myself. I would assume that the et street radial would get better traction over the s/s, but not sure how much. If the s/s hook better than the tq's then I'd be happy with that.

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
I ran the regular mt et st drs for a while. They were amazing at the track and still ok on the street BESIDES driving in the rain. I do not drive in the rain. Best 60' was a 1.5 with a ss3600 with those tires.

I don't go to track often anymore so last time I wanted a better street tire that is cheaper which of course comes with less 60' performance. I went with the toyo tq drs. I love them for street but never tracked them.

If I was going to go to a mostly track tire I would go hoosier dr. I have ran those and they are better than the mt dr imo.

If you drive in the rain I wouldn't wanna run any slicker than the toyo.

I have no idea why some companies try to reinvent the wheel. Maybe a rep at mt could enlighten us LOL
The tq's did awesome at the track for me, they always dead hooked. My problem with them was on the street. 20 rolls on concrete I'm sideways, 30 I still spin. Blacktop was even worse. I have adj lower control arms, LCA relocation brackets, adj torque arm (pinion set), adj panhard, but even with playing with the adj on them I'd still spin.

I may just go with the et street radials and be done with it, idk.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

What's the tallest drag radial I can go with on stock 17x9 ws6 wheels? I'd like a little taller tire if I could, but I don't want to roll the fenders.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:25 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

The S/S is supposed to be more hydroplane resistant. Otherwise, it's the same as the ET Street Radial 2?

At least it looks that way to me.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
The S/S is supposed to be more hydroplane resistant. Otherwise, it's the same as the ET Street Radial 2?

At least it looks that way to me.
That's kind of what I was thinking too. I'm just not sure if they'll stick as good as the regular et street radial, but I'd like to try them. I was hoping to get some feedback on them but I guess they're still kind of new yet.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Anybody try the MT ET Street Radial S/S yet?
I had the Radial II 315/35R17 on my 92 vette a few years ago and was getting 60' in 1.6x, and that's with independent rear suspension. My only "complaint" was they REALLY didn't like standing water at 50+ MPH.
I just ordered a pair of Radial S/S 275/40R17 for the stock-for-now 01 TA. According to Mickey Thompson's web page, they're the same compound with the same contact patch and the same amount of void but redistributed for better resistance to hydroplaning.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm speaking only about 275 60 15 but will tell you what I'm hearing and have seen.

I've been running the et street radial 2 for the past 3 sets of tires. Once the ss came out it sounded promising.

Today I got to look at the et street ss, et street r, and et street radial pro side by side. The et steet ss looks great in the street friendly department now. But, if you look the ss has 3 grooves around the tire and they are very wide channels. The old et street 2 only had 2 and very narrow. There is NO way the contact patch is the same. Now, the et street r looks about the same but does not come in 275 60 15. If you need a street tire and the r comes in a size you can use I would choose that tire unless you will be in rain.

Over on yellowbullet the reults on the ss have been very mixed.

I went with the pro. My classes allow it and I have a set of c6 wheels for the street.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jblankenship
I'm speaking only about 275 60 15 but will tell you what I'm hearing and have seen.

I've been running the et street radial 2 for the past 3 sets of tires. Once the ss came out it sounded promising.

Today I got to look at the et street ss, et street r, and et street radial pro side by side. The et steet ss looks great in the street friendly department now. But, if you look the ss has 3 grooves around the tire and they are very wide channels. The old et street 2 only had 2 and very narrow. There is NO way the contact patch is the same. Now, the et street r looks about the same but does not come in 275 60 15. If you need a street tire and the r comes in a size you can use I would choose that tire unless you will be in rain.

Over on yellowbullet the reults on the ss have been very mixed.

I went with the pro. My classes allow it and I have a set of c6 wheels for the street.
How do you like the et street radial 2's as far as street and track in dry weather only. How low of a roll can you do on the street and still get decent enough traction where it'll grab pretty quick and go?
Old 03-12-2016, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry I meant the et street radial. I have not had the current 2.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

I got ya man, I misunderstood
Old 03-12-2016, 10:46 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I'm in the middle of this dilemma as my TOYO's are about done. I'm talking about DD tires since I rarely go to the track anymore.

I found the TOYO's were good when new, but after awhile they weren't much better than stickier street tires. I do like the size and look, and I did get about 3 years out of them. Nittos did pretty well on the street, but they're just so small ...

I'd try these new Mickeys, but having used the original style at the strip for the most part, I've noticed they wallow pretty badly on the street. If the new tire has the same carcass, then it will behave similarly. Plus I can't imagine getting more than a year out of them.

Tough decision: another set of TOYO's, try the new Mickey's, go with a street tire, or street tires and old-style Mickeys for the strip (expensive)?
Old 03-13-2016, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

I have the 275/50/15 Mickey Thompson e.t. street radials on Race Star 15x10s. 3753R I think.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thompso...25#moreDetails

Are these being discontinued? Summit doesn't carry them.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-3753r

They hook up great on the street, but they get bad mileage and they of course suck in the rain. What is out there in that size that I can use which will get more mileage, hook just as well, and be able to get me back safely in the event that I get stuck in the rain?

MTT-3451 Street S/S ?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thompso...49#moreDetails

The 3552's look like they would suck even worse in the rain: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-3552/overview/

They don't make a ET Street Radial II in 275/50/15

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 03-13-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

The street radial 1 is done. Discontinued.

Quick Reply: Mickey Thompson ET Streets, street II's, or Street S/S?...