Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Cooper RS3-G1 or BFG Sport Comp 2 (stock 245/50-zr16)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cooper RS3-G1 or BFG Sport Comp 2 (stock 245/50-zr16)

As the subject states which one is better? I have the original BFG Sport summer tire which are 8 1/2 years old. I dont drive the car very often so I only put about 10000 miles on them, and they seem to break traction very easily (traction nowhere near as good as they were when new).

Also the BFGs I have now for some reason introduced a slight drift the left.

Last edited by Jeff 97 Formula; 06-20-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts

The Coopers are very slick until warmed up. Ran the RS3-S tires and they scared me. Car would get loose way to frequently.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not the particular tire you're asking about, but I've had 2 sets of Cooper tires. Discoverer H/T on my 05 GMC and a set of touring tires on my wife's Mazda 3. I'll never buy Cooper tires again!!! The set on my truck never did well in the rain and was probably partly responsible for a wreck back in 2015 when I spun out on a wet exit ramp. They also never held a balance. I had to re-balance them with every rotation. The set on the Mazda do OK in wet conditions, and they have wore decently, but they've never balanced well and have either a constant vibration or very noisy. My wife has to drive 60 miles a day and she's complained since they were installed.

I've never had the BFG A/S, but I know alot who have. Nothing but great reviews on them.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I did all my research 3 yrs ago and decided the BFG Sport Comp 2 were the best bang for the buck in my '99 SS...when they topped the Tire Rack surveys for 2nd tier summer performance tire. The Nito 555 and Continental DW's were right behind them. After putting nearly 4,000 miles on the BFG's I have no issue with the other than a little extra road noise at highway speeds. They grip well. I only drive in nice weather so haven't been able to test their supposed excellent wet traction. They are not recommended for driving under 40-45 deg F. But I take them out several times in the winter for easy maintenance runs at 35-40 deg F. I only do modestly spirited driving....and have yet to break traction on these tires. I'd buy them again too. Got a good deal on them at $555 out the door with mounting, balance ,alignment, and taxes. I had $140 in rebates on them too to get that price.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have BFG Sport Comp 2 on my car and I like them. They grip in both wet and dry pretty much the same. I dove with them in the past winter and they did great, granted in georgia we don't have bad winters but......
Old 02-10-2019, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Ok...I had my Formula out today before the snow hits tomorrow, and am convinced I need new tires.

I was accelerating after the exit ramp and when it hit 2nd, the car went sideways! I was able to regain control but is not something I enjoyed. I guess being 35-40 degrees didn't really help either, and the BFG g-force sports (not the comp 2) tires are 9 years old.

I want to be able to enjoy this car without losing control like that again -- the BFG Comp 2's should be able to keep the power planted, right?

I also have just basic bolt-ons (Moroso CAI, Hypertech PP+ with engine tune and firmer shifts (which made it even scarier), throttle body air foil, Spintech muffler, etc).

I wish the BFG Comp 2 A/S did not look like offroad tires, otherwise I'd most likely go with them if the Comp 2 summer tires can't keep traction in less than 50 degrees.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Any signs of dry rot on your current tires? 9 year old tires are pretty old. I bought my TA with dry rotted Potenza's which I replaced with new Sport Comp 2 Summers. I drove them once this Winter in around 35F temperature and they seemed to do good, although I didn't go crazy either. I am almost stock power with a lid/catback. I put a few miles on them before Winter and they seemed to do good. There may be better options if this is your daily driver though and you will need to drive them in cold climate frequently.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS_ELKO41
Any signs of dry rot on your current tires? 9 year old tires are pretty old. I bought my TA with dry rotted Potenza's which I replaced with new Sport Comp 2 Summers. I drove them once this Winter in around 35F temperature and they seemed to do good, although I didn't go crazy either. I am almost stock power with a lid/catback. I put a few miles on them before Winter and they seemed to do good. There may be better options if this is your daily driver though and you will need to drive them in cold climate frequently.
Tires look brand new, no cracks at all. The car is garaged and is not my daily, but for the times it does come out I'd like to enjoy the car rather than being afraid of the tires giving up so easily like these are doing now.

Like my post says I am considering the Sport Comp 2 summers but have second thoughts since the tread looks just like my current G-force Sports (1st gen). Since I am not seeing many reviews about the Coopers and most seem to like the Comp 2's I may go with the Comp 2's in the Spring.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

It could also be the age of the rubber that is contributing to the traction issues even though your treadwear is minimal. That coupled with the lower temperature.

Quick Reply: Cooper RS3-G1 or BFG Sport Comp 2 (stock 245/50-zr16)