Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How to guard against tire shop damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 06:36 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default How to guard against tire shop damage

What precautions do you take to guard against vehicle or wheel damage at tire/wheel shops?

I placed an online tire order today w/ Discount Tire to take advantage of the Memorial weekend promotion. Appointment for install is 7 days out.

I am strongly considering bringing my 98 WS6 wheels to the shop in the back of my truck. Seems that eliminates some opportunities for damage. Could be the shop would take great care of my vehicle and wheels, but do not have any, recent transaction history w/ this shop.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes I would take the wheels to the shop. Just in case it's a 17 year old rushing to get a vape break. Also, demand they put the best tech on it.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I never take the entire car to a shop just for tires, unless it's a daily driver - but even then I still wouldn't bring in a 4th gen F-body unless you know for sure that the tech/shop is familiar with proper lift points for these cars. Most damaged fender tabs are the result of improper lifting at various shops, no need to take the risk when there isn't any work to be done on the actual car itself (such as simple tire mounting).
Old 05-28-2019, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes only take just the wheels if you can. If you absolutely cannot, if they want to put it on the lift, SHOW THEM the tabs under the front fender where they can not lift on. Demand they lift on the front frame rails (at least that's where I always jack from). Or they can do it 1 wheel at a time (unlikely). I've seen my local shop use 3 floor jacks and just leave cars up on them (2 up front, 1 for the rear axle) and it makes me cringe, if one were to lose pressure. Also they must use a hand torque wrench, none of this impact-gun-torque-rod silliness.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 207 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

just ask discount tire to use jacks instead of their lift.....i do.....saves your fender tabs
Old 06-01-2019, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they do damage a chrome gm wheel that isn’t available anymore what recourse do you have?
Old 06-01-2019, 10:53 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chevygirl
If they do damage a chrome gm wheel that isn’t available anymore what recourse do you have?
Not certain.

However, the OEM WS6 wheels are clear-coated, polished aluminum. I think aftermarket, chrome replicas were available years ago.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:30 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by bsf
However, the OEM WS6 wheels are clear-coated, polished aluminum. I think aftermarket, chrome replicas were available years ago.
This is correct. A couple of different sources used to sell a chrome version of the early WS6 wheels (I bought a set for mine back in the early '00s), but they were never available directly from GM as a replacement part nor as original equipment.

However, I didn't see chevygirl mention anywhere that she had WS6 wheels. Perhaps that information was posted in another thread.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:47 AM
bsf
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is correct. A couple of different sources used to sell a chrome version of the early WS6 wheels (I bought a set for mine back in the early '00s), but they were never available directly from GM as a replacement part nor as original equipment....
I am going off topic a bit now that I have the info I sought.

How have your chrome WS6 replicas held up and what kind of use have they endured. Just curious as I considered purchasing a set new ~2007. IIRC, there used to be a manufacturer or vendor for them in Michigan back then called Lakeshore, AAA, or some variation thereof.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bsf
What precautions do you take to guard against vehicle or wheel damage at tire/wheel shops?

I placed an online tire order today w/ Discount Tire to take advantage of the Memorial weekend promotion. Appointment for install is 7 days out.

I am strongly considering bringing my 98 WS6 wheels to the shop in the back of my truck. Seems that eliminates some opportunities for damage. Could be the shop would take great care of my vehicle and wheels, but do not have any, recent transaction history w/ this shop.
1. Always take wheels and tires only.
2. Ask if they have a touchless tire machine
3. Ask for the most experienced tech and reiterated the cost of replacing wheel or wheels if damage occurs.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by bsf
I am going off topic a bit now that I have the info I sought.

How have your chrome WS6 replicas held up and what kind of use have they endured. Just curious as I considered purchasing a set new ~2007. IIRC, there used to be a manufacturer or vendor for them in Michigan back then called Lakeshore, AAA, or some variation thereof.
I wish I could answer the question of longevity for you, but I sold those wheels along with the car back in the mid-'00s, I only had them for a few years. That car never saw rain or even a garden hose though, so it wouldn't have been much of a durability test under such sheltered conditions. Having said that, the wheels were very nicely finished as-delivered and didn't have any issues during those few years I had them.

Yes, good memory on the vendor in MI. It was in fact AAA Rims (later changed their name to Lakeshore Wheel and Tire, but they were still AAA when I bought them). They were just a vendor though, these were imported reproduction new wheels. AAA/LWT also used to sell some refurbished original wheels, but the ones I bought were definitely new aftermarket.

FWIW, I thought the car looked much better with the chrome version. The polished clear coat OEM version looked too cloudy for my taste, so I was quite happy with the swap.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the ZR1 gm chrome wheels on my 99 camaro and I think they are discontinued.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by chevygirl
I have the ZR1 gm chrome wheels on my 99 camaro and I think they are discontinued.
GM (itself) never offered chrome on the C4 ZR1/SS style wheel. Chrome was an original option ("Y2Y"/second sticker content) from SLP on the LS1 SS cars, but it didn't come directly off the GM assembly line this way nor could you order a replacement directly from GM (it was an SLP-only product). So your current wheels either came from SLP (either on an original SS which was ordered with this Y2Y upgrade option, or from the aftermarket SLP store), or are a reproduction version from one of several sources over the years, or are an original GM set that someone had (custom) chromed.

I'm pretty certain that there are still a couple of sources which sell reproduction C4 ZR1 wheels in chrome, but I think they are only available in the C4 Corvette sizing (17x9.5", 56mm offset). The C4 sizing fits just fine on a 4th gen F-body, but original F-body sizing for the SS/WS6/Firehawk wheels (regardless of finish) was actually 17x9", 50mm offset. Both wheel sizes can fit the same 275/40/17 tire size without issue, but the 9.5" wide C4 version were originally intended to accommodate a 285/40/17 rear tire size on the non-Z51 models (Z51 models received a square 275/40/17 setup, same as an SS/WS6 car, even on the 9.5" wheels).
Old 06-06-2019, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've often wondered the same thing, especially now that I have ADV.1s on my daily.

If they do damage something, I have a full set of 01-02 WS6 wheels with the rears being widened to 17x11 to fit a 315. I really need to get rid of them, as I don't have the car anymore.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes the zr1 wheels came on a slp camaro ss. I have been told slp does not have them anymore.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Chrome C4 ZR1 wheels are definitely still available, just not from SLP. Plenty of aftermarket sources, but I'm not sure if you can still get them in the original 17x9", 50mm offset sizing. They are usually reproduced in the 17x9.5", 56mm offset C4 sizing (which will fit on a 4th gen F-body, with stock tire size, without issues).
Old 06-07-2019, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Before installation, open the box with the wheel in front of they're bay and take pictures right in front of them.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a legit concern bringing your vehicle to a place that employs a high number of low experience techs. The alternative is easy. Find a shop that works on exotics. They have a higher labor rate, but you certainly won't end up with a damaged vehicle or damaged wheels. It'll cost more than average, but you're looking for service that is higher than average.
Joe