WS6 Wheels... Are they cleared?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Mat
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WS6 Wheels... Are they cleared?

Hey folks..

Quick one here.. been doing some searching and haven't found an exact answer so here goes..

I've got a 98 WS6 with the requisite wheels.. I know they are polished but is there a clear coat on them from the factory? Reason I'm asking is I tried some Mothers Billet polish on them last night and they came up SUPER nice... however on tiny little spot near one outer spoke was a tad cloudy even after polishing.. I'm wondering if this was because I....

a) went through the clear coat

b) hardly have any clearcoat left on the wheels which is why they polished up so nice and that cloudy part is what's left of the clear coat

c) don't know what I'm doing.

Okay, now be nice and maybe shoot me some help here?

Thanks folks!
Old 07-27-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did the rag turn black when you started rubbing the polish on the wheels? If not, then they are cleared. If it's bare metal, the polish will turn black almost immediately.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say "B"

But yes the wheels were cleared.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Mat
Launching!

Yeah there definately was black there on the main part of the rim as I worked the polish in and it didn't take long to come up either.

Right now I'm thinking that they hardly have any clearcoat left as well. Question is do I chance it an polish the rest of the wheel(s) or do I clean them up with something else?

How many guys strip the clear and just polish regularily?

Thanks for the help so far guys!! Much appreciated.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the polished factory WS6 wheels are clear coated. I striped the clear off my polished Y2K wheels and polished them up and they look so much better.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say you are right, the clearcoat is just about gone from them. Most likely, the previous owner was using metal polish on them regularly instead of treating them like clearcoated paint.

Clearcoated polished wheels usually aren't quite as bright as a non-cleared wheel, but they are much less maintenance. At this point, I would say remove the rest of the clear and just keep them polished up. You could also try removing the clear and hitting them with some Zoopseal, it's supposed to be really good stuff.

Or if you want the low-maintenance/high-dollar version, you could always have them stripped, polished, and re-cleared.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Mat
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
I would say you are right, the clearcoat is just about gone from them. Most likely, the previous owner was using metal polish on them regularly instead of treating them like clearcoated paint.

Clearcoated polished wheels usually aren't quite as bright as a non-cleared wheel, but they are much less maintenance. At this point, I would say remove the rest of the clear and just keep them polished up. You could also try removing the clear and hitting them with some Zoopseal, it's supposed to be really good stuff.

Or if you want the low-maintenance/high-dollar version, you could always have them stripped, polished, and re-cleared.
Thanks for the help and tips man!

I'm all for the low dollar high maintenance stuff. That's what the blood and sweat part is about regarding our hobby right? Heh, guess so.

Anyhow, I think I might venture into taking the rest of it off and keeping them polished regularily (it's not a daily driver most of the time so it's much easier).

Would the mothers polish applications be sufficient for this task?

Doing my throttle body with the mothers and a scotch brite and it's coming up awesome though time consuming.. need to break out the dremel.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

The metal polish would eventually take it off I'm sure due to its abrasiveness, but I don't know of a safe way to do it faster. Hopefully someone else can help with this one?