Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Bogart Rims Horrable Mistake

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogart Rims Horrable Mistake

We all know the troubles assoc. with modding our vehicles.

SJM Manufacturing and Bogart rims take things to a new level.

I ordered my rims and sent a check (no.1 big mistake) on 5/9/05.

Then I didn't get the rims til mid August.

When I finally did get them they looked great so I felt better and got the tires mounted and put em on.

I had to leave for a few weeks and when I got back I noticed allot of rust on the through bolts on the rims. Plus there was already corrosion on the bare aluminum.

I called Steve(SJM) and he said he had never had any complaints about these rims and he tried to minimize my problem.

First I only wanted some stainless through bolts or treated steel.

Steve said Rich Bogart had nothing to send me.

They told me to sand and paint the bolts or use WD40 on them.

I looked at doing that then said to myself, these rims are never going to be anything other than a pain in the butt.

So I called Steve and asked if they would send me something unbolted so I wouldn't have the bolt problem.

He argued with me for almost 1/2 an hour how this wasn't a manufacturing defect.

That was on Saturday 9/10/05, he was supposed to call me Monday but that call didn't come, so I sent an e-mail this morning and here is his response:

I was thinking the same thing this morning. I thought you were going to call me but was just too busy yesterday. Monday can be quite hectic sometimes.

Rich Bogart expressed since there is nothing defective with the wheels, they were mounted and used for over a month, he was not willing to exchange them since he could not do anything with a set of used wheels. Feel free to contact him directly at 602 353 6640 anytime after 12pm EST if you would like to discuss it further with him.

Steve Monte

President

SJM Manufacturing Inc.

Bogart wholesale/distributor

412 508 0634

So here I sit, with a **** set of rims I paid $1400.00 for.
I'm gonna need to find some hardware to try to fix them and then try to get them polished and have them clear powder coated. I went to a really good hardware store yesterday and they had nothing even close to the bolts I need in stainless.

One last thing Steve told me this " You shouldn't keep the wheels outside"
Can you believe that? A 1400. set of rims that need to be kept indoors. Might need a dehumidifier too.

MY advice stay far away from Bogart products, & if you do buy use a credit card.
Steve will sway you away from this like he did me saying he would have to charege way more, but pay the extra for protection.

Here's the photos I sent Steve.

Last edited by hoserack; 09-13-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

That sucks man. It seems the more and more I hear about those wheels the less and less I like them.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't get it? So you paid $1,400 for new wheels . . . Not a bad price (cheap in my book) . . .

You had to wait 4 - 4.5 months to get the wheels . . . seems a bit long but depending on Bogarts manufacturing process, delays occur, and I bet there is more to the story . . . there always is.

The difference of paying by credit card or check, well that is up to you, but they still would have charged your creidt card up front, and in the 4 month waiting period you would have paid your CC bill . . .

Said wheels have sat outside on a car, ok no biggie, but the bare untreated, unprotected aluminum is corroding? Oh the horror!!! Please, bare aluminum wheels are going to "patina" if look at them cross eyed! . . . My $4,000 Fikse's look like crap after they get rained on. Use Zoopseal . .

Metal bolts rusting . . . well, I certainly would not use regular steel hardware to secure the wheels together, but they are a Race Only wheel, so the hardware is going to be basic. Most "Dragcars" and "Racecars" are garage kept and sunshine only cars . . . . So my responce is bare steel/chrome will rust . . . again, Zoopseal.

I honestly feel you are expecting too much, and this is not something that should be discussed in this forum.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As most will probably realize, there is always information that is omitted regarding transactions.

The bolts are special designed structural grade 8 oxide coated bolts. There is no replacement aluminum or stainless bolt which can be used.

If steel is left outside in the elements, overtime, it will rust. This INCLUDES lugs nuts, valve stems etc. General preventative maintenance must be taken to keep ferrous and non-ferrous metals from rusting and oxidizing quickly.

The customer mentioned he left his wheels outside 24/7 in all weather conditions, obviously without any type of protection. Aluminum will oxidize; steel will rust in these conditions which it obviously has.

We do not have control of the products once the customer receives them and the care they give them. Just as a car needs preventative maintenance, our wheels do to!

The wheels were in perfect condition when the customer received them, there were no defects, nor are there any defects to date.

I attempted to help the customer by giving him advise on keeping the wheels looking like new, he did not want to comply stating he did not want to have to do a thing to the wheels, they should look like new all the time. Furthermore, I mentioned we would be happy to send new bolts, the customer declined.

The customer is incorrect on his dates of manufacturing as well as when he received them. They were sent on June 24th and delivered on July 1st. The customer felt that after using them for over 2 months and not taking care of them, we should take the wheels back when there are no defects and asking for a completely different style wheel due to his neglect for free.

His last response to my e-mail was “let’s play ball :-)”. Obviously, this his attempt to discredit Bogart wheels for his lack of care and maintenance which has nothing to due with the actual product that was in perfect condition upon arrival.

Last edited by steve10; 09-13-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

In 3 weeks.

Maybe you could put that on the add selling them.

Also you never offered to send me any bolts.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

I not only mentioned to you about new bolts to you, I attempted to look into getting special bolts that met your specifications. When I mentioned about the new bolts to you, you asked if you would have to put them on, and I said yes. You did not want to do this and felt that you did not want to be bothered with the wheels anymore.

I could not find any other type of bolt that would work, nor did Rich Bogart know of any that would work with how these are designed.

...the bolts you received are the same bolts that are used on EVERY Bogart drag wheel, there is nothing defective about them.

What you have is surface oxidation as well as surface rust which should easily be removable. Preventive maintainence could keep the bolts from rusting by painting them, or just putting dab of oil on them. The aluminum should have at least a good coat of wax on them to prevent oxidation.

The elements you live in (salty air conditions) may have played a part into how the wheels oxidized and the steel bolts so quickly. The valve stems will probably be next.

We did not send you sub-materials so that they oxidize or rust quicker then any other wheel we manufacture. What has occured is the natural process of materials reacting with nature.

Steve
Old 09-13-2005, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Ok Steve you win.
I'm not gonna continue this nonsense here.
BTW I received the second set of rears yesterday & intend on paying the fifty bucks to have them clear powder coated before mounting.
I suggest you do the same seeing the ease at which your product deteriorates.
Please send the additional hardware so I can clean these rims up & have them powder coated too.
You have lost a good customer over a few bucks.
Like I told you I wanted to keep this between us but you choose not to replace the items.
I'm seriously thinking of leaving them as is so I can display them at car shows.
Steve this will be my last reply here.
Plaese call me if you have anything further.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:05 PM
10 Second Club

now i'm having second thoughts cause these were the exact kind of rims I was gonna buy.

There's a possibility of the rims getting wet (go figure I live in Florida) but my car does not stay outdoors..

ughhh
Old 09-13-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

we live in florida. leaving the car outside with teh salt in the air is going to be bad. how is this a shock? ANY wheel is going to do this in FL. go buy a cheap set of welds or an expensive set of welds. the LUGNUTS will rust. go buy the cheapys from discount auto parts. go buy the expensive mcguard lugnuts from your fav performance shop...its both going to surface rust.

sounds like you didnt know what you were getting yourself into by leaving the car outside. its a high maintence combo and environment we live in.

maintain the wheel and the rust will not collect.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoserack
I ordered my rims and sent a check (no.1 big mistake) on 5/9/05.

Then I didn't get the rims til mid August.
Bogart's are purpose-built racing wheels. These are not off-the-shelf one size fits all cookie cutter type wheels. Even IF they ended up taking 3 months to get, that's still not bad and certainly not out of the norm for this type of wheel. Quality takes time.

I had to leave for a few weeks and when I got back I noticed allot of rust on the through bolts on the rims. Plus there was already corrosion on the bare aluminum.
Yes, and? Seriously, you aren't telling us that you expected your wheels to stay perfectly clean forever did you? You ARE aware of the fact that the bolts on these wheels can still be polished to look like new if you were to invest the time and LABOR to make them that way, right?

They told me to sand and paint the bolts or use WD40 on them.

I looked at doing that then said to myself, these rims are never going to be anything other than a pain in the butt.
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Are you a guy or a girl? Cause I swear I hear these same kind've complaints out of my girlfriend all the time. "I don't wanna change my oil, cause I'll mess up my nails!" Then again, when I look at your screen name, I can't help but think that a chick would have to have some serious psychological issues to refer to herself as "hoserack."

It seems to fit someone like this alot better though...
Old 09-13-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

wheels have to be taken care of to look good. You can't leave them for months and expect them to look as good as they did when you pulled them out of the box
Old 09-13-2005, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

Just an FYI from experience~
My car is currently sitting outside. Has been for three weeks and been through some rain. Lugnuts are McGaurds and are rusting. Wheels are Bogart bolted D-10's and show NO rust.
Again, this is just my experience. I have owned two sets of Bogarts, a set of Pro-stars and a set of Convo-pros. Bogarts are miles above the other two when you are talking quality. But even still, no polished wheel will never require any maintenence
Old 09-13-2005, 01:11 PM
hashtagBMW

this steve guy sounds like a **** bag, with his bs long replys! the guy spent 1400 bucks help him out ****!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like I said not the time nor the place . . . .
Old 09-13-2005, 03:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Those wheels look like ****! You should sell them to me for $700, since they look half as good as they did when new

Any non-coated polished wheel will oxidize, my Boyds look like *** too.

Quick Reply: Bogart Rims Horrable Mistake