Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Fix-a-Flat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix-a-Flat bad?

Well sometime in the future I plan to take out the spare tire and put it aside in the garage and plan to start packing a can of fix-a-flat, but I was reading the can and it said DO NOT USE: in Z rated tires....

I want to make sure that this stuff isn't going to be worthless if I get a flat tire, I might still be on my KDW's but I may be on Nittos by then.

I'd like opinions please!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well here is my experience with fix a flat, this is more of an opinion than fact so take it for what its worth. My first car was a 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera my grandparents owend. It is 17 yrs old and so were the tires when I got it. Needless to say they werent in great condition. After a while the valve stem started to leak in one of the tires, So I put some fix a flat in to it to seal up the valve stem. Later that week the tire blew up doing 60 on the highway. Granted this could just be due to the age, but it is an interesting coincidence, like I said, take it for what its worth
Old 10-03-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's used as it's intended, as a temporary repair, so you can get to a place to get it repaired properly, I think it's fine.
I've used it in Z rated tires before, of course I'm not doing 150 mph with just the fix a flat holding the air in, it was just to get home, I then took it to have a patch installed, and it was fine for the rest of the time the tire was on
Old 10-03-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with 2k2ws6ta it is for intended use. I'm guessing the warning is for those few idiots with z-rated tires that still want to hit 150mph using a semiflat tire.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use it to get to the tire shop..... and make sure to tell them there is fix-a-flat in the tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

I definitely agree... it's great for getting you from the flat location to the tire shop at a moderate speed. This reminds me of seeing people driving around like they're at an autocross... on one or more of those donut spare tires!
Old 10-04-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

get AAA and throw away the fix a flat

that **** can desinegrate the inside of a tire if left in there for a long time and will eat chrome

plus the guys at the tire shop will want to kill you when it gets all over them dismounting the tire and they have to clean out to repair it
Old 10-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
plus the guys at the tire shop will want to kill you when it gets all over them dismounting the tire and they have to clean out to repair it
Take it from someone who has had to clean that crap out of a tire. Also, some shops might not even fix the tire at all if has fix-a-flat in it.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

AAA won't help me if I'm not near a phone... I don't have a cell phone and I don't want one either.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

what about that green goop stuff?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Fix a flat is crap. It will not only eat away the tire, but it will eat away at the wheel itself. Quit being lazy and put your spare tire on like you are supposed to.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
Fix a flat is crap. It will not only eat away the tire, but it will eat away at the wheel itself. Quit being lazy and put your spare tire on like you are supposed to.
Where is the most common place for someone to put a hidden nitrous kit?

If you don't know, it's in the spare tire well. Now I can't have the tire AND the bottle without some major magic happening.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
Where is the most common place for someone to put a hidden nitrous kit?

If you don't know, it's in the spare tire well. Now I can't have the tire AND the bottle without some major magic happening.
This is true, however think about it. You say you want to carry around a can of fix a flat right? Well, the tire must first go flat before you know you have a flat tire. So you get out a put the fix a flat in your flat tire to try to seal the leak. Now you have to find some way to pump more air into the tire. Are you going to carry around a portable air compressor as well? If you can't run a spare tire or have a cell phone, you might as well walk to the nearest phone to call someone to help you out.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
Now you have to find some way to pump more air into the tire. Are you going to carry around a portable air compressor as well?
Why not, I do, the box is about the size of a sheet of paper (8x10x3) doesn't take up alot of room, plugs into the cigarette lighter, and it will inflate a tire to 30-35 psi in about 8 mins
Old 10-04-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

One advantage of fix a flat is it can allow you to get off the side of the road more quickly than changing a spare and avoid getting nailed by oncoming drivers. If you get the large size, it can provide enough of a charge to drive on temporarily without additional pumping. As everyone has said, the idea is to just to get to a place where you can either repair or replace the tire. I've used it several times
Old 10-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Banned

This **** is stupid and dangerous. It's like glue, it sticks to the inside of the tire and wheel and ruins both of them. Not to mention it probably throws them slightly of balance. If you don't have AAA, then check with your insurance. USAA gives me free towing and I've had to use them several times on all three of our cars.

Oh and, what if your flat tire has come off of the lip and broken the seal? What do you do then? Fix-a-flat isn't worth a **** then.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

I have free towing through my insurance company, but that isn't worth a **** if I've got no way to call anyone ( and I'm NOT getting a cell phone ). The chance of me getting a flat and actually needing to use my spare is very slim, I just don't want to be out driving one night in the boonies and get a flat and be SOL.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

yeah fix of flat and all that goop is crap. I use to work at a full service station when i was in school about 5 years ago. Some people would bring us tires with that stuff in all the time. Also its eats rims and tires if you leave it in there for a while. Just put your spare on and go to a shop and have a plug/patch put in. I think they work the best. But I still get a new tire put on anyway.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:15 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

It works in a pinch. I stress PINCH. For the love of god don't use that crap if you don't have too.

You should see that mess that stuff makes. Better yet, you should see the mess it makes on the person trying to change your tire.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

how the hell do you not have cell phone

personally id get a cell phone and AAA otherwise with fix a flat youll have a fugged up tire, fugged up wheel, and will most likely get the "special balance" from the guy at the tire shop who has to work on your car