Old 10-28-2005, 02:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright man, no use arguing.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gillbot
Matter of fact, I have yet to PERSONALLY hear about a lateral failure of a skinny wheel other than fron an accident or outright abuse.
Well, here's yet another example. My roommate bought a used set of Weld Rodlites in 2003 off one of the Buick boards for his GN. One fine day, driving down the street at about 15-20 mph, the one of the front wheels split open right down the middle. It didn't come apart in 2 pieces like the Bogart in the other thread, but it still nearly came apart the whole way. It had already started leaking the day before this happened so we knew that there was something wrong with it, but prior to this I had never heard of a wheel splitting open like this. And this wasn't even a skinny - it was a 15x7. Even the rear wheels had a slight wobble that could be corrected by torqueing the **** out of the lugnuts.

I had always thought that in this age of political correctness and paranoid fear of lawsuits, wheel manufacturers would never knowingly sell a weak wheel to the buying public, the majority of whom uses them on the street where they're most prone to failure because of lateral loading that they were never intended for. Knowing this necessarily isn't the case, at least I would never run any wheels of this type on my car on the street. The last thing I want to do is plow someone down sliding on a rim that came apart just because I wanted to look cool.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so did it split on the weld then?
Old 10-29-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slow3hoe2
so did it split on the weld then?
yup, sure did. I would have posted pics if I had any.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so basically i have the best of both worlds. i drive anywhere with no problem. then drive to the track....release about 1.5 psi of air out of the rears, then pull some wheelies. its not too bad.

Do you do this without mods? Just curiois cause you dont have any listed
Old 10-29-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00TAProject
Do you do this without mods? Just curiois cause you dont have any listed
bolt on type stuff. converter, long tubes, ory, flowmaster, lid, qa1 type r's in the front, and a GOOD tune. 3535 lbs race weight.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:53 AM
10 Second Club

my slicks welds 26x11.5x15 and skinnies 165x15x3.4 never come off my car all summer. now..i only drive the car on weekends but i still see 3,000ish mi a year.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok good question.... How come skinnies cant take the occassional pothole, but they can take the weight of the front of the car slamming back down from a wheelie? Im not talking about just bearly lifting the wheels off, i mean scraping the bumper and watching the clouds.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

I think weld prostars with skinnies up front are the best looking rims on a f body.

very intimidating imo
Old 10-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Banned

you are a *** and you would sound more knowlegable if you didnt even speak.

i love when someone that hasnt experienced something is gonna come on here and tell us how it is.
I haven't personally experienced a said wheel and tire failure but that doesn't make me uninformed. What I said is coming from the wheel manufacturers. Others have also chimed in on the dangers of running these on the street. Wheels and tires are what keeps your car in contact with the ground so I personally wouldn't take chances with them. Any wheel and tire can fail but street wheels and tires aren't recommended for off-road use only.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
How exactly are you going to be aware of some idiot slamming on their brakes in front of you on the highway, or someone pulling out in front of you? No chance in hell you're gonna escape either one of those situations safely with skinnies up front (or, I should say, your chances of avoiding it are greatly decreased). Skinnies were made with a purpose... for the track. I would never sacrifice such a huge point of safety for the 'cool' look.
And would it matter if you had OEM wheels and tires if you got cut off? Not really, that's why it's called an ACCIDENT.

AS I SAID, I have not PERSONALLY seen a failure. Never said it COULD NOT HAPPEN. Read before you reply. I'm not condoning the daily use of them, I used to run them on mine 24/7, did I say you should... NO. Do I know they are not DOT rated, YES. ANY wheel can fail if XX or XX or XX happens, so freaking what. As long as you are aware SOMETHING MIGHT happen, do what you want. Just don't try and get all high and mighty on me because they are illegal, like most of the cars here are not illegally modded anyhow.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gillbot
And would it matter if you had OEM wheels and tires if you got cut off? Not really, that's why it's called an ACCIDENT.

AS I SAID, I have not PERSONALLY seen a failure. Never said it COULD NOT HAPPEN. Read before you reply. I'm not condoning the daily use of them, I used to run them on mine 24/7, did I say you should... NO. Do I know they are not DOT rated, YES. ANY wheel can fail if XX or XX or XX happens, so freaking what. As long as you are aware SOMETHING MIGHT happen, do what you want. Just don't try and get all high and mighty on me because they are illegal, like most of the cars here are not illegally modded anyhow.
Might wanna take your own advice. Reread my post and then reevaluate your reply and see if it addresses the point I have made. Hint: "(or, I should say, your chances of avoiding it are greatly decreased)". I'm not trying to go up against the winless battle of ignorance, my point remains whether you want to ignore it or not.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

I see no ignorance in my reply.

As I CLEARLY stated:
As long as you are aware SOMETHING MIGHT happen, do what you want.
Something might happen when you change anything, just don't try and pull the whole "they are illegal" statement because that's a load of ****. 99% of the cars on this site are illegally modified in some way.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

finally.....running skinnies is sooo tight never had more fun!!!!! thanks guys car llooks sooo mean now i would recomend it for any real street racer!! ohh yes and i took the sway bar off to ...not to much differnt but it doesnt matter anyway i wont be autocrossing anytime soon!!!!

Last edited by TondSS; 11-18-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:27 AM
TECH Regular

NICE!!! now go out and pull some wheelies

i just put my 17" rims back on...too cold here for drag racing. anyway...I HATE THEM. car is all darty and you feel every crack in the road compared to the drag rims/tires.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:05 AM
11 Second Club

ive trying to find some threads that discuss this clearly and its kinda hit and miss and a little confusing for me so i will jsut ask.. To run skinnies up front what will have to be done to the car? are there any type that doesnt require grinding and longer studs? thanks for any information.

--Matt
Old 11-19-2005, 04:57 PM
10 Second Club

ok well it does require grinding but its really no big deal everyone makes it out to be! AS long as you do a good grind you wont have to worry!! you dont need to change the wheel studs there fine just get the... crager clossed in 12-1.5mm<<pretty sure do a search...good luck!
Old 11-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Restricted User

Convo Pros and Bogarts Dont require grinding.... Convo pros dont require different studs, dont know about bogarts.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

wow those other wheels that dont require grinding are in my (opion)...go with the real stuf!! prostars or draglites they save you the money!! save like 500 more dollars just to grind for 20 minites.....
Old 11-19-2005, 11:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wellllll back on topic...i recently put pro stars on my camaro and i daily drive it like its my job. drive out to wauseon (40 minutes from here) a couple times a week and back with no problem, and my car doesnt handle worse at all..and ive had people slam on the brakes in front of me and it really doesnt stop that bad..IMO