Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Does Anyone Run Skinnes And Meats On Every Day Driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does Anyone Run Skinnes And Meats On Every Day Driver

JUST CURIOUS IM THINKING ABOUT SELLING my rims and tires and grinding my calipers to get 15s what do you have for skinnies and meats if you can post pic! thanks
Old 10-23-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ran on pro star skinnies for a while with 165 metric tires with no problem just don't dive in to any hard corners at a high speeed takes a little bit to get use to the feel.But with a set up like i had with drag radials on 15's you should be fine for every day
BTLFEDSS
Old 10-24-2005, 07:35 AM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/390780-skinnies-road.html
Old 10-24-2005, 05:56 PM
10 Second Club

cool thanks
Old 10-25-2005, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

Yea, I was also wondering about the skinnies. I was thinking of getting me a set of skinnies up front w/ 315's out back. What do you guys suggest as far as skinnies go, which ones do you guys run?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

I ran 15x4 Convo Pros up front with pep boys metric radials.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:56 PM
Banned

Why would you want to do that? Braking distance has got to be greatly increased. Besides, those wheel manufacturers don't suggest not doing it for no reason. They're not even DOT legal. It's just dumb and not worth wrecking your car, besides, it doesn't even look good.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

I run 15x3.5 and 15x10 Prostars. I have 165/15 on the front (VW Bug tires) and a 295/50/15 out back.

As stated in the other thread, just take it a little easier around corners and they're no problem.

And for the most part, my car only drives an 8 mile round trip (to and from work) everyday, and to the track.

Last edited by BAIN; 10-26-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Why would you want to do that? Braking distance has got to be greatly increased. Besides, those wheel manufacturers don't suggest not doing it for no reason. They're not even DOT legal. It's just dumb and not worth wrecking your car, besides, it doesn't even look good.
Many think it looks great. Gives that car the mean and aggressive stange. Most know the braking distance is reduced and so long as you are aware, it's not an issue.

Many wheel makers don't suggest daily use for the wheels because of lateral loads, like cornering. So long as you don't mount up 15x4's and go autocross, you'll be fine.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Banned

And I suppose you know exactly where that lateral threshold is right? They're still not DOT legal.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I drive an S-10 with 15x3.5 pro stars on 195 tires daily for about 4 months now. If you take a turn fast enough, I can feel the tire shifting a bit. I've been driving with bfgoodrich drag radials in the back for almost a week now. You just have to watch where you drive cuz the radials can pick up some nasty stuff once in a while (I picked up a nail the other day but luckily it layed across the tire and didn't puncture it).
Old 10-27-2005, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

And I suppose you know exactly where that lateral threshold is right? They're still not DOT legal.
I never said they were legal but if they couldn't handle a 200+ MPH run down the 1/4 and hard braking at the end, I doubt they'd sell very well and we'd probably see MANY more failures.

Matter of fact, I have yet to PERSONALLY hear about a lateral failure of a skinny wheel other than fron an accident or outright abuse.

It's also against federal law to modify your car in any way with non OEM or power enhancing parts unless they are CARB approved, doesn't look like that stopped you much.

Mods: Free mods, K&N, Magnaflow Cat-Back, %35 rear tint, %50 side, Direct-Flo lid, JSS, Flowtech 3" Cut-out, 18x9.5 polished Z06's w 265/35 zr18's, Ground Control coil-overs, Bilstein HD's, BMR APHB, BMR anti-squat brackets, BMR boxed SFC's, UMI poly/rod LCA's, P/P throttle body, smooth bellows, FTRA, !side moldings!, other various appearance mods, Tropicare ladened.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gillbot
I never said they were legal but if they couldn't handle a 200+ MPH run down the 1/4 and hard braking at the end, I doubt they'd sell very well and we'd probably see MANY more failures.

Matter of fact, I have yet to PERSONALLY hear about a lateral failure of a skinny wheel other than fron an accident or outright abuse.

It's also against federal law to modify your car in any way with non OEM or power enhancing parts unless they are CARB approved, doesn't look like that stopped you much.

I think the DOT thing is more about them not being able to stand up to very bad roads all too well (craters/potholes/dropoffs,etc.) than anything else. These things are so light that they have no choice but to crack or dent if they get abused.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...Most know the braking distance is reduced and so long as you are aware, it's not an issue...
How exactly are you going to be aware of some idiot slamming on their brakes in front of you on the highway, or someone pulling out in front of you? No chance in hell you're gonna escape either one of those situations safely with skinnies up front (or, I should say, your chances of avoiding it are greatly decreased). Skinnies were made with a purpose... for the track. I would never sacrifice such a huge point of safety for the 'cool' look.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are a *** and you would sound more knowlegable if you didnt even speak.

i love when someone that hasnt experienced something is gonna come on here and tell us how it is.

Last edited by slow3hoe2; 10-27-2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Real informative post there, slow. This guy is asking about running on skinnies, do you have information to help him out or was that all you wanted to say?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

well i agree with slow3hoe2 this guy is crazy just coming in here and saying that stuuf . oh well its cool.. hes probly a newbie but hell soon understand when he really wants to get into racing ....personally i like to street race and i think they would help me quite abit!! i know several people who drive around on them in town said there fine. just wanted to know how it is on a ls1......

thats like saying why would you run corvet rims everyones got them there played out ....just my op.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Then look at this, here's one case:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/366303-why-not-daily-drive-bogarts.html

And BTW, not trying to bash you, but you should really know more about this stuff before giving advice on something so crucial to the car's safety. And hopefully everyone can take a look and see what can happen. Bottom line, they are not meant for the street.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

ok here is the information now.

i have draglites on my car. 3 1/2 x 15 in front and 10 x 15 in rear. pep boys metric radials in front and m/t 275-50-15 dr's in rear. i also have no front sway bar in front. my car drives great. you cant even tell it has skinneys in the front. i take off ramps at the same speed i normally would (im not a corner carver and never was) and my braking and handling is not any worse than any other car on the road. of course it wont handle like it does with my stock 17" rims on it...but it handles surprisingly good.

last year i had nitto 275-60-15 dr's in rear and this was my daily driver rain or shine. braking and handling in the rain was equal to any other car out on the road. the nitto's are pretty decent in the rain.

since then my car is garage kept and only comes out on weekends and cruise nights. i have gotten caught in the rain on the mt dr's and i was surprised that it wasnt that bad. the tires have lasted me all season with MANY street races and racing at the track. i am not the type that burns out at every street light. i drive like a grandpa...until theres a reason not to. so thats probably why my tires have lasted so long.

another thing is...this wheel tire combo will make the car ride different. the steering response will be slower and the ride will be less harsh. when i put my stock 17's on, i actually dont like how the car rides...after being used to the 15" wheels.

so basically i have the best of both worlds. i drive anywhere with no problem. then drive to the track....release about 1.5 psi of air out of the rears, then pull some wheelies. its not too bad.

one thing about the front runners. the max tire pressure on them is like 35psi or something. i have ALWAYS run 50psi. at 35psi then are squishy and look flat. ive been using these pepboys radials on various cars for the past 7 years. ive always run them at 50psi and have NEVER had one problem.

any questions just ask. enjoy

Last edited by slow3hoe2; 10-27-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Then look at this, here's one case:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366303

And BTW, not trying to bash you, but you should really know more about this stuff before giving advice on something so crucial to the car's safety. And hopefully everyone can take a look and see what can happen. Bottom line, they are not meant for the street.
i am concered with safetly as well. i would never recommend someone running anything other than a draglite or a prostar on a daily driven car. would i run a bogart on my daily driver? hell yeah...but that is my choice. ive hit countless unseen pot holes and pumps in the road and have NEVER bent a front runner (weld). my friend has bogarts on his mustang and drives with the same care that i do and his are slightly bent from driving on the street.

draglites and prostars have been around for as long as us (or longer) and have been used on street cars millions of times. why because its a skinney it makes it more weak? its the same rim structure...just not as wide. so technically, there is MORE overhung load on a 15x10 rim than there is on a 15x4.

all im saying is...things happen. things happens to people that may never happen ever again.

ive heard of someone burning their motor spraying nos. maybe i should not use nos because i heard of that before.