Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Why not to Daily Drive on Bogarts!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not to Daily Drive on Bogarts!

This is a guy I know's mustang, he is part owner of a shop here in Memphis called Dynospeed. Doesn't even drive the car much, check out this...

Click Me

Last edited by ItSStock00; 08-16-2005 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Launching!

For those who don't want to click...
Attached Thumbnails Why not to Daily Drive on Bogarts!-bogart.jpg   Why not to Daily Drive on Bogarts!-bogart1.jpg   Why not to Daily Drive on Bogarts!-bogart2.jpg   Why not to Daily Drive on Bogarts!-bogart3.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Launching!

P.S. This wasn't meant to bash SJM , Bogarts or anything! I love there wheels and are EXCELLENT. I am just showing why you should follow manufacturers rules and warnings, they are there to help you not be a pain.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

What exactly happened, and what wasn't supposed to be done. I dont know **** about 2piece wheels, unless those arent supposed to be 2pieces.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

It doesn't look like those are supposed to be two piece wheels. Apparently, the wheel broke in two. I'd also like to know what he hit/ran over or if he took a turn too fast to do that to the wheel. I'm curious because I'm awaiting my set of Bogarts and plan to run them on the street once in a while. I know there are a few guys on this board that run Bogarts on the street ocassionally, and sometimes on daily driver's, but this is the first I've heard of something like this happening. This severe anyways.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Launching!

He was driving on them and they got too hot (they are supposed to be track only wheels) and the wheel split.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Wait a minute, I just finished reading some of the posts on the thread over there and I'm kinda confused as to what exactly happened. Did his rim split, then he ran across two lanes of traffic and then onto a curb? Or did he run across two lanes of traffic, hit a curb and then the wheel broke? I guess the wording has be a bit confused.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ItSStock00
He was driving on them and they got too hot (they are supposed to be track only wheels) and the wheel split.
That sucks, sorry to hear/see that happen.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Itsstock, I'm glad that this was posted. No offense taken.

I do feel a more appropriate title for the post should be “why not to use ANY drag front runner on the street”. This is certainly not a typical occurrence with our wheels. I would suggest that the user who damaged these could have done so as equally using other drag wheel manufactures front runners.

Drag wheels are susceptible to damage during lateral loading. Neither our wheels OR any weld front runner for example is designed for street use so care must be taken into consideration when loading them. Stress fractures can occur during loading and fail at any time. Aluminum inherently does not have a fatigue limit as with steel. Heat cycling can affect the material from heavy long-term braking, over-inflated tires etc… all can effect the material properties.

I think the most important factor is the customer was not injured.

I am very interested in this failure and will be following up on this one. I have never seen one of our Bogart’s fail in this particular fashion. I can’t comment on damage from just a picture.

Steve
Old 08-15-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

he hit the curb after the wheels broke..is what it sounds like....i was going to buy a set but they dont have a warranty because of the fact that they WILL crack on a daily driver......not knockin bogart they have the most gorgeuos drag racing wheels ever...but theyre made for the track
Old 08-15-2005, 11:50 PM
...with cheese.

looks like a steering wheel laying on the ground in that last pic... hah
that sux though, I only got the rear wheels, not only because money was an issue, but because I drive it as much as possible.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LMAO!! look what type of tire he was using.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

Silly Mustang owners can only listen to a salesman, they all really can't read........

Ford Salesman to me in reference to a Stang GT : "Yeah this car will blow any Camaro or Firebird off the street! Hell you'll give Vettes a run for their money too!" I went in with my brother and the salesman had no idea that we drove up in my car, but he saw us leave.....damn it, I wish I had my cam in.

So what you are saying is I shouldn't run the skinnies up front on the street? What about the countless people on this site that run Weld Pro Stars up front everyday? I thought they had specific ones they warn you about before purchase that are not for street use. My friend had Drag Lites on his Nova for 10 years....skinnies up front 15x8 in the rear, no problems for him.

I am going to Pro Stars very soon, and I really would like to know the safety concerns before making such a big decision. Thanks Steve.....BTW I was the one who called you in reference to Rev Xtreme ordering the 3 line lock kits....did Dino get back to you?[/hijack]

~Kevin
Old 08-16-2005, 01:25 AM
10 Second Club

I haven't seen ANY drag wheels come apart like that before.. But, Bogarts are not meant to be on the street at all in my opinion.. I have seen a few guys run them on the street and they always end up bent and dented around the bead/lip of the wheel. And that is the front and the back wheels as well..

I have ran Weld Pro Stars on the street plenty and have never hurt one of them.. I know alot of guys that run Weld Draglites or Pro Stars on their Daily Drivers and have never bent one or cracked one in half. I personally think that the Weld line of wheels are a little stronger which is why they are a little heavier than Bogarts.. Just my .02 cents!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

I drove on my bogarts daily when I had my camaro. Must have been a freak accident.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:56 AM
TECH Addict

Yikes, that sucks man!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
I drove on my bogarts daily when I had my camaro. Must have been a freak accident.
i think you got lucky on that set...cause thats not the first time ive heard of daily driven bogarts coming apart
Old 08-16-2005, 10:21 AM
dug
Banned

Imagine what could have happend if he was going faster. Like a 100mph. A tire blow out is one thing but the rim letting go. What was he driving on? The rotor?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been working with Rich Bogart for ~ 4 years and haven't seen one this bad. For the folks concerned...Front runners are more susceptible to damage. Just as our wheel is not meant for street use, I do not know of any weld front runners that are for street use either. Same risks apply. I’m mentioning weld since it appears some folks seem to think their weld wheel is ok to be used on the street. This is why you see “for drag use only” marked on their wheels. Do welds bend also? Sure they do, I have one here I recently posted which folded like a chair from hitting a pothole.

FWIW, I haven't had any of our F-body customer’s damage wheels like this. Actually, I can count on one hand how many have even bent a front runner during use. This statement is being made as company wide, every set that we have ever produced since I initiated production of them for our F-bodies.

F-body wheels are built slightly different then a Cobra wheel. This is one wheel that obviously did fail. Unfortunately, one failure like this stick in many heads...even though there are 1000's being used without issues.

I certainly am not stating a Bogart wheels is not susceptible to damage. I don't want to sound like I am making excuses. Care and caution must be taken when using a front runner for something they are not designed.

A very good post for folks to see for certain as there are risks involved with using something that it wasn’t designed for.

Steve
Old 08-16-2005, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
me too

Quick Reply: Why not to Daily Drive on Bogarts!