Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Weld Aluma-Stars (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 10:44 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Arrow Weld Aluma-Stars (pics)

I'll put pics of these here so that everyone can search and find results later on the subject.

Wheels
Front: Weld Aluma-Star 2.0, 1-piece billet, 15x3.5 with 2.25" backspace
Rear: Weld Aluma-Star 2.0, 2-piece billet, 15x10 with 5.00" backspace
This required narrowing the rearend 2 inches on each side. Aluma-Stars are rated kind of strange, they actually have 5.5" backspace, but advertise at 5.0" backspace. These wheels will not fit over stock brakes. I have Aerospace lightweight drag brakes up front, and Strange lightweight drag brakes on the rearend.

Tires
Front: 26x4.5-15 Mickey Thompson ET Front
Rear: 28x10.5-15 Mickey Thompson ET Drag

Old 12-31-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks good Tony. Dunno how much I like them more than Pro-stars tho, but those are great lookin, no doubt.

Dont they offer 2 diff style of Aluma-stars? One thats a bolt mount, the other thats a spindle mount? (least I thought so anyway).
Old 12-31-2005, 11:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great Tony! Wheels are MUCH better quality and style then prostars...no comparison whatsoever! For the comment above, you have to see them in person to appreciate the quality differences!

Prostars and draglites are made for strictly price-point. Appearance takes a side-burner. Prostars/Draglites material and construction is night and day difference.

You should have got our wheels ; ours are lighter and less expensive too. Good choice though overall, you can't go wrong with either style. Be careful with the front runner, if you bend it, you'll have one big paperweight on your hands, like our P2's they are optimized for the track only.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Those are bad ***!! I wish I had the coin' for somethin' like that.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Pro-Stars look like crap side by side with these, the build quality is much different. Plus, these are a good deal lighter. One Pro-Star with a 165mm front radial tire weighed as much as both of these fronts with ET Front tires on them.

Steve, Bogarts would have looked sweet on this car too, but I got a nice deal on the set since the fronts were slightly used. I really like the look of the 1-piece fronts.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love those wheels! The fronts are what I really like.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh dont get me wrong...Im not saying Pro-Stars are better by anymeans. I guess its more/less that Im used to seeing Pro-Stars (or D10s for that matter) so thats what I compare 'em too. They're great lookin wheels, and Im sure the quality and apperance is night and day in person. They're great lookin wheels, Ive liked them since I first saw 'em on NHRA-rods.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:15 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

here is the car on Pro-Stars. Looks like every other f-body on Pro-Stars

https://ls1tech.com/98Formula/DSC00707.JPG
Old 12-31-2005, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

Wheels
Rear: Weld Aluma-Star 2.0, 2-piece billet, 15x10 with 5.00" backspace
This required narrowing the rearend 2 inches on each side. Aluma-Stars are rated kind of strange, they actually have 5.5" backspace, but advertise at 5.0" backspace.

they list them as a 5.0 BS but in real life they are a 5.5bs thats stupid IMO
Old 12-31-2005, 03:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's ok Tony, I forgive you:-) j/k. They are very very nice wheels. I'm sure you're very pleased with how they look. Especially in person...they look incredible!

I'd say the only big drawback on a one piece wheel is the fact that if you bend it, you've got one large paperweight on your hands. You can't replace components like we can. The wheels are structurally not as strong as our P1 or prostar/draglite combos...but it is meant to be as light as possible...our P2 aluma lites setups are lighter still (and for once I can say less expensive...hehe:-).

On a side note: When I comment to guys about the quality and materials used between a prostar/draglite and our wheels...I do not mean to insult any persons choices when they have the economy line of weld wheels i.e. prostar/draglites. What I try to show is that you can't compare apples to apples when looking at an economy draglite/prostar to one of our wheels. Two different categories, price is obviously different also. You get do get what you pay for albeit high-end welds such as Tony's or our wheels, there ARE differences from weight as well a quality and style. In comparison to a prostar/draglite setup for an LS1 or our P1 wheels for LS1's our are typically 30% lighter!

Keep it up tony:-)
Old 12-31-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by steve10
it's ok Tony, I forgive you:-) j/k. They are very very nice wheels. I'm sure you're very pleased with how they look. Especially in person...they look incredible!

I'd say the only big drawback on a one piece wheel is the fact that if you bend it, you've got one large paperweight on your hands. You can't replace components like we can. The wheels are structurally not as strong as our P1 or prostar/draglite combos...but it is meant to be as light as possible...our P2 aluma lites setups are lighter still (and for once I can say less expensive...hehe:-).

On a side note: When I comment to guys about the quality and materials used between a prostar/draglite and our wheels...I do not mean to insult any persons choices when they have the economy line of weld wheels i.e. prostar/draglites. What I try to show is that you can't compare apples to apples when looking at an economy draglite/prostar to one of our wheels. Two different categories, price is obviously different also. You get do get what you pay for albeit high-end welds such as Tony's or our wheels, there ARE differences from weight as well a quality and style. In comparison to a prostar/draglite setup for an LS1 or our P1 wheels for LS1's our are typically 30% lighter!

Keep it up tony:-)

I dont think people take it as you insulting their opinion (at least I didnt take it that way...) its just you've got a product you're wanting to sell, and you're trying to inform a potential customer as to why your product is better for them. Nothing wrong with that at all. Hell, I'd actually have someone with inside information tell me "This is why ours is better..." who actually knows their stuff and can communicate @ a professional level and actually make his product sound better vs just giving a sales pitch time and time again. And you seem to be te first type, which I like!

And I agree, you cant compare apples to apples when you've got a Pro Star/Draglite vs your wheels, or even those Aluma-Stars. Its like trying to compare OEM wheels vs Fikse or HREs. There's just no comparison. But I still like Pro Stars even if they're the low-end bastard children lol.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:48 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I'm not worried about bending these wheels, the car will never see the street. It will ride around comfortably on its trailer, and just do 1/4-mile passes at a time

Quick Reply: Weld Aluma-Stars (pics)