Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Question about drag radials and cornering.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about drag radials and cornering.

I'm about to buy my first set of DR's. I decided to go with the BFG's. My question is how do they handle corners during spirited driving on the street? I understand driving in any inclimate weather with them is dangerous but can the rear get loose on you even on a nice warm day while banging some corners? Do they handle well laterally like a street tire? Suspension mods in sig, also going to get adjustable TA and beefier front sway probably. Thanks guys.

John
Old 01-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Launching!

they are a little squirrely. They are a radial tire but usually have a softer sidewall then a regular street radial. You might ought to get the Nitto 555RIIs. They are a road race type drag radial. STIFF sidewall. I don't push my car hard with my 315 nittos, its a little sloppy back there but I have never had a problem with them in the rain.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The RII's are awesome for cornering and traction on the street. You can push it VERY hard. I've had them for 3 years now. However you need all 4; just 2 in the back with 2 regular tires up front just sucks.

John
Old 01-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Banned

Hmmmm, I need them for a drag application, but are they that much different?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

From what I've read the RII's are the same rubber compound as the drag radials. They only difference is the RII's have a stiff sidewall for autocrossing vs the soft sidewalls of the DR that help give a cushioning effect when launching at the strip.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GETGONE
From what I've read the RII's are the same rubber compound as the drag radials. They only difference is the RII's have a stiff sidewall for autocrossing vs the soft sidewalls of the DR that help give a cushioning effect when launching at the strip.

I need the cushioning for the strip. I'm just wondering how it effects street driving and the occasional spirited driving.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

I'm pretty sure some people used to use the regular Nitto drag radials on all 4 corners for road racing, before Nitto came out with a dedicated road race tire. They just pumped them up more. I'm not so sure about BFG.

I searched for this same info recently and thats what I came up with, so I'll be going with Nitto drag radials out back in the spring.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Teching In

I plan on running 18" bfg drag radials on my truck. While its not a Z06, it handles pretty well. I have a set of the 15" drag radials that Iv'e street driven on from time to time, and I don't think they're much different than a regular radials of the same size. I drive very spirited from time to time as well. Of course they aren't gonna handling like a road racing tire, but I don't think you'll notice much difference.

I think if these are going on your 18", you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GETGONE
CORRECT!! I used to drive around on a R2 front, DR rear setup and it was good until they heat cycle hardened and became useless. BTW, I remember some Viper owners autocrossing on pumped up BFG DRs in the back, since the RR/AX tires of that day had too stiff a sidewall for them to put down the torque at the start and at corner exits.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dailydriver
CORRECT!! I used to drive around on a R2 front, DR rear setup and it was good until they heat cycle hardened and became useless.
Which ones did?

I thought about doing that setup but is it a bad idea?