Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Fuzion ZRi's

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Fuzion ZRi's

Just put these on last friday, and after 2 days on them, they have to be the worst tire in the world. Reasoning, the car just wonders all over the place. There's a "mushy" feeling to them when driving at all speeds. Seems like I'm having to oversteer way too much to keep the car straight. Traction....OMG!!!! The worst traction in the world. I don't know if it's b/c it's just cold or new tires but I had kdws's on my car before and were completely bald. I had better traction in those then with these new tires. Yesterday I was pulling out on a normal incline...just normal taking off and spun them like I was on ice. Are you kidding me???? Another reason is when I'm backing up and cutting it hard, the tires basically hop. Not just one, but all of them. I'm not quite understanding why so many guys think that they are good tires. Worst $600 dollars I have ever spent on my car.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Hmm, let's think about this one here, Midwest buddy.

You have a 6-speed LS1 car, which, as many people know, will blow away street tires when bone stock. But now look at what you have: heads, a 231/231 cam, full exhaust, other bolt-ons, and 3.73s! You obviously know that your car is putting down some serious power. I'd bet well over 400 rwhp. And if you're the one spending money on these mods, you know that each and every thing you do is going to increase power and compound your traction problems.

Here's the main point here: You can't have all that power and expect STREET TIRES to be able to hook up and drive well. You need at least some decent drag radials to hold that kind of power. And you said it's cold? I'm pretty sure you are aware that most tires for our cars don't hook as well in the cold.

These tires are good tires, but only for people who put them on cars that can use them well. A heads/cam F-body with 3.73s and full bolt-ons should not be running street tires and then have such harsh criticisms for them. Because that's all they are: street tires. I had them on my other red Z and they worked great, but then again I only had full exhaust and 2.73s. I got a 3400 stall and the car would blow them off at will. Did I think the tires were "the worst in the world" because they wouldn't hold that power? No, I just knew that they weren't designed to be hooking up in that case. They're known for being a cheaper-priced, decent gripping street tire, that's all. No sense in ripping on something that wasn't designed for your type of situation.

If you're looking to hook well, get some DRs. But even then, don't expect them to work well in the cold.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z

You have a 6-speed LS1 car, which, as many people know, will blow away street tires when bone stock. But now look at what you have: heads, a 231/231 cam, full exhaust, other bolt-ons, and 3.73s! You obviously know that your car is putting down some serious power. I'd bet well over 400 rwhp. And if you're the one spending money on these mods, you know that each and every thing you do is going to increase power and compound your traction problems.

Here's the main point here: You can't have all that power and expect STREET TIRES to be able to hook up and drive well. You need at least some decent drag radials to hold that kind of power. And you said it's cold? I'm pretty sure you are aware that most tires for our cars don't hook as well in the cold.

These tires are good tires, but only for people who put them on cars that can use them well. A heads/cam F-body with 3.73s and full bolt-ons should not be running street tires and then have such harsh criticisms for them. Because that's all they are: street tires. I had them on my other red Z and they worked great, but then again I only had full exhaust and 2.73s. I got a 3400 stall and the car would blow them off at will. Did I think the tires were "the worst in the world" because they wouldn't hold that power? No, I just knew that they weren't designed to be hooking up in that case. They're known for being a cheaper-priced, decent gripping street tire, that's all. No sense in ripping on something that wasn't designed for your type of situation.

If you're looking to hook well, get some DRs. But even then, don't expect them to work well in the cold.
Thats besides the fact, the Fuzions just plain sux. My friend had them here in FL and you could heat them up and they're will still like driving on ice, not only that they just made the car feel like crap.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh I know what you're talking about. I wasn't expecting to get street tires, go out and dead hook with the mods that I have. But I did however expect a tire to have some sense of traction when needed. I have none. Like I said, I was pulling out onto a road from an incline. Normal starting and the tires spun. My previous tires (kdws's) even bald, wouldn't have done that. I'm just very disappointed with my decision after reading good reviews on them.

And this just isn't about traction, I also stated that the car wants to wonder everywhere with them. Never had a problem at all since I've had the car. I mean it almost feels like driving my car with ET streets with low air pressure in them. (floating sensation)

And the reason why I didn't go with DR's is b/c I have a perfectly good set up ET streets that I can run when I go to the track. No sense of buying DR's when I have those. Believe me I went back and forth about which to go with and in my final decision, I wanted to go with a non-expensive street tire that was going to give me good wear mileage, decent traction, and a good tread design.

Oh and one more thing, after 2 days of having them on, one of them is already leaking air. A new tire and I've had to air it up twice in 2 days. I'm going to turn anyone away from these tires that are looking into getting them.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

lol i'm in Indiana and yeah man its like 5 outside right now... But yeah they should spin like you say they are, But you probley should use a DR of some kind, but i agree a 150 tire should be worth that kind of money. what size are they?
Old 02-19-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

275/40/17's

Maybe I should have went with a DR but I just didn't see a reason to buy tires that were only going to last 15k when I have a nice set of ET streets that I can use when I go to the track and buy a set of street tires that could last me 30-40k. Hell I put 40k on me kdws's and was really happy with them. They decently hooked with my 4200/2.5 when I had the A4. Maybe I should have just stuck with them.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z

And this is the kind of great advice that has every newbie thinking if they put a stall in there car they HAVE to get DR's . While street tires are just that, believe it or not, there are some street tires that are more then capable of hooking just fine for normal driving with 3-400hp. Jake's old BFG's did amazingly well with his old 4200 stall (before the M6 swap). These new tires apparently aren't up to the task and that's all Jake was saying. After seeing and hearing how bad his tires where spinning last night, I'm with Jake, his tires blow.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

Fuzions are a higher tread wear rating tire which means they're a harder compound. Take into account it's below freezing in IN and the tires become nearly hard plastic. Of course they're going to be useless. Run winter tires in winter and summer tires in summer. I put a set of ZRi's on my Fiancee's Olds Alero but she only drove on them for about 3K miles before she decided to trade it for a Jeep. I never drove it with them on so I can't comment on performance.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

H'mmmmm I have the ZRI.s.... They do very well.. Am an old fart and still ran a 9.84 with them and I was asleep at the light(1/8 mile) . I know that these tires have limitations and 5 degree temps are not the best for them. But I don't believe they were ever advertised as anything other than a performance tire. I would buy them again in a heart beat!!!
Old 02-19-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

I took Fuzions of my car for this reason, traction. My car is an A4 with only 330rwhp at anything below 30mph I can blow em off on the street which is ultra cool until your head to head somewere . I went with my usual Nitto 450's and solved my problem
Old 02-20-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
Oh I know what you're talking about. I wasn't expecting to get street tires, go out and dead hook with the mods that I have. But I did however expect a tire to have some sense of traction when needed. I have none. Like I said, I was pulling out onto a road from an incline. Normal starting and the tires spun. My previous tires (kdws's) even bald, wouldn't have done that. I'm just very disappointed with my decision after reading good reviews on them.

And this just isn't about traction, I also stated that the car wants to wonder everywhere with them. Never had a problem at all since I've had the car. I mean it almost feels like driving my car with ET streets with low air pressure in them. (floating sensation)

And the reason why I didn't go with DR's is b/c I have a perfectly good set up ET streets that I can run when I go to the track. No sense of buying DR's when I have those. Believe me I went back and forth about which to go with and in my final decision, I wanted to go with a non-expensive street tire that was going to give me good wear mileage, decent traction, and a good tread design.

Oh and one more thing, after 2 days of having them on, one of them is already leaking air. A new tire and I've had to air it up twice in 2 days. I'm going to turn anyone away from these tires that are looking into getting them.
Hmm, not quite sure then. I see your point on not wanting the DRs. Also, when did you do the M6 swap? I had to run over to LS2 and make sure it was you because you listed the M6. That sucks that you're already leaking there. I know one of my valve stems is leaking, but I put that blame on the shitty place that mounted them for me. As far as them feeling like they wander around, can't say I've had that problem with mine. I've ridden in a couple cars with them and they always feel pretty solid.

Sorry you don't like them and best of luck finding a tire that works for you.

Originally Posted by King James
And this is the kind of great advice that has every newbie thinking if they put a stall in there car they HAVE to get DR's . While street tires are just that, believe it or not, there are some street tires that are more then capable of hooking just fine for normal driving with 3-400hp. Jake's old BFG's did amazingly well with his old 4200 stall (before the M6 swap). These new tires apparently aren't up to the task and that's all Jake was saying. After seeing and hearing how bad his tires where spinning last night, I'm with Jake, his tires blow.
I didn't say that one would have to get DR's with a stall, because I know that's a common misconception. It's just a matter of learning to feather it with them and knowing how much you can give it before breaking them loose. I was just stating that the stall had plenty of power to rip through them if you try to give it all the way.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude you're in Indiana. Any summer tire is going to feel like ice in this weather. Rubber turns hard as a rock below freezing. Maybe your BFG's had a quite softer compound that was still usable in these temps, but the Fuzions and many other summer tires do not.

I've had several f-bodies through BFG comps, GSC's, and Potenza's, and rather like the Fuzions for the money.

And my car doesn't wander or follow ruts objectionably in any way, but I'm on a near stock suspension. You also complain of tramp which tells me something might be unhappy in your suspension setup.

Whatever the case if you're that unhappy with them take them back while you still can, but given your complaints I'm not sure what you are going to find that will solve your problems.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by todddchi
Any summer tire is going to feel like ice in this weather.

This is what I was hoping for someone to say. I pretty much figured that it was b/c of being cold but wanted someone to actually say it. I plan on keeping them on my car for now so I'll see how it turns out when it gets warmer.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running sticky tires on my 01 z28 m6 in NW IL.

Besides the fact its been so cold, sub-zero temps, the salt on the roads fill in the rough grooves that provide traction, so even if its dry, a salt covered road is as slippery as ice.

There is not one tire that can grip in those conditions..

also I hope you built from the ground up, meaning suspenion before the power. if you dont have suspension mods your not going to grip anyways.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

I bought these last year to replace my original Goodyear F1s. The fuzions grip alot
more. I did get alot of wheel hop but just put on Relocation Brackets & torque arm and
it seem to get rid of it. I dont like to looks of them (allot beefier) They are alot harder.
I used them for drag racing twice a WEEK in the summer and still have alot of tread.
Just too my car out last week and it was about 40 degrees and I did loose allot of traction.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought these tires about 5 months ago and absoulty hated them. Just **** with the tire pressure and let them break in and they will feel better. I had crappy sumitmos before this and they really sucked. Then when I put the fuzions on I was pissed. But now Im happy with them.....just wish that I didnt smoke'em up so much. I did lose to a almost stock evo because of a shitty launch though. But again its my fault, I know they are not the best tire. Just the best for the price.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ibanez7
also I hope you built from the ground up, meaning suspenion before the power. if you dont have suspension mods your not going to grip anyways.

I'm pretty much full suspension other then I'm still on stock springs and shocks.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

i hate an 88 trans am heads cam gears and a 3k stall... have fuzions all the way around 275/45/zr17's and they hold fairly well if i just mat the pedal they will spin till no other.. but if heated a bit they hook kinda good for a cheap tire with no stall in the car ran a 9.2 on them in the 1/8th... i also have these on my 98 z28 m6 with 4.10's and they did fairly well also i can still get them to spin in 3rd with full rear susp... but i can get them to hook and not spin at all if i really wanted to and shifted like i should... i have now since bought some sumitomo 315's for my 11's in the back and the fuzions hook better than these right now.. ran a 9.1 on the fuzions in the camaro.... i will still buy these tired even if its only for the front... no wondering either i put these on and did an alignment and i got no problems.....
Old 03-23-2006, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to bring up a dead thread, but I feel like I have to say my piece.

I like the Fuzions I have on my car. I have the 245-50-16's. I have to argue with the people who say this tire can't hook well, because with my stock stall, I used to launch to a 1.9 60' all the time. When you have the pressure right and give them a little bit of a burnout, they can do really well on a bolt-on car. I ran a best of a 12.53 @ 112.13 on these tires. I do burnouts all the time, and there was a time when I used to drag race on these tires EVERY weekend, for about 3 months.

I've had the tires for over 20k miles, never had a problem with them, I run 32 psi all the time, and 24 in the rears when racing. I've abused them, but rotated them, and I still have 7/32nds' tread on them. I feel like I've gotten my $450 worth out of them, and would recommend them to anyone who doesn't plan to get TOO serious with their car. Just watch the pressure and rotation.

I'll admit that I can blow them off at will with my new 4000 stall, but I knew that would happen. You can't reasonably expect street tires to hold that kind of hit. I can still get the car to dead hook from a 20 roll though. It's all in knowing HOW TO DRIVE YOUR CAR.

I hate to see you guys bashing a budget tire that doesn't perform like you expect it to. Know what it is you're buying, and don't turn people with smaller budgets away from a tire that gets great mileage, is quiet, and under the right conditions, can hook pretty well.

If you're looking for a tire for daily driving/occasional drag racing on a milder setup that won't break your wallet, this is the tire for you.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To each their own I guess. I'm still not impressed with them. They are a lot louder then my previous tires and my car still doesn't handle as well with them on. I'll let it ride but I will not be buying them again when time comes.