Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

GSDs vs KDW

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmard
Do they make KDW IIs in 275/40R17?
Here is a link off of the BFGoodrich site that displays all tire sizes available for the KDWs.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs...-a-kdw/22.html
Old 01-07-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

According to the website they do make a 275/40R17 as well as a 285/40R17, however, tirerack and discounttiredirect don't have them?
Old 01-07-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

That website is for the KDW original tread, not what I pictured. The newer tread is only available in those 17" sizes I listed currently.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Y2K Pewter SS
That website is for the KDW original tread, not what I pictured. The newer tread is only available in those 17" sizes I listed currently.
Ah ok thanks. What a drag, you'd think they would make them in that size. Guess I'm going to have to go with something else.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jimmard
Ah ok thanks. What a drag, you'd think they would make them in that size. Guess I'm going to have to go with something else.
As popular as they are, I am sure they probably will, at least I would hope so. I am glad I stepped up to 18s so I can run the KDW2s, I love them.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Who has the best price for the KDWs? Thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've used all 3, KDW, KD, and GSD3. The KDW is not even in the same park as the KD and GS-D3 which are both great tires. I might have to go back to the KD's if the D3's are still on back order though. There goes my fun in the rain. ;D
Old 01-09-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

I got the GSD-3s and I am VERY happy with them. The deciding factor is that I read a lot of reports that said the KDWs were loud.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

How much rwhp/rwtq will any of these tires handle? I have ablown 383 with an A4 and 2400 stall.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by quickmedic1
How much rwhp/rwtq will any of these tires handle? I have ablown 383 with an A4 and 2400 stall.

There's not a radial tire made which will hook with that. DR's for you!
Old 01-10-2007, 05:35 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stock SS
I think the GSD3's are great. I've never driven a car with KDW's but the Goodyears are definitely better than Bridgestone Potenzas and Michelin Pilot's.....In the rain the GSD3's really are amazing. Just expect a slightly harsher ride with these tires and try not to be too aggressive with the car until you get some heat in the tires as they are a handful when they are cold.
Negative. They balance up like crap. I've never had a set that even with new wheels, took a normal amount of weight. They ride like garbage, just like most Goodyears tires.

They are a decent performance driving tire, and handle the rain well. They are reasonably priced as well. But they are not even in the same class as a BFGoodrich TA KD, or Michelin Pilot. The BFG KDW is the better tire IMO, and compare better with the GSD3s.

Which Michelin Pilots are you reffering to? Because the GSD3s are in no way even CLOSE to besting a Michelin Pilot Sport, or PS2.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Negative. They balance up like crap. I've never had a set that even with new wheels, took a normal amount of weight. They ride like garbage, just like most Goodyears tires.

They are a decent performance driving tire, and handle the rain well. They are reasonably priced as well. But they are not even in the same class as a BFGoodrich TA KD, or Michelin Pilot. The BFG KDW is the better tire IMO, and compare better with the GSD3s.

Which Michelin Pilots are you reffering to? Because the GSD3s are in no way even CLOSE to besting a Michelin Pilot Sport, or PS2.
I know Car and Driver isn't the most reliable source, but they rated the GSD3 very highly and from I recall higher than the tires you state above.

As far as balancing, on all 4 of my wheels I only have 1 set of weights and the car rides awesome. The tire is very quiet and is excellent in the rain.

Also I would compare these more to the KDW than KD. The GSD3 excels at wet weather and that is what the KDW is for, not the KD.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

Well, when I got my car (about 3 months ago) it came with a practically brand new set of GSD3's . After driving them for a while, I love them, and will put nothing else on my car. On the way to a friends i accidentally hit a huge puddle on the freeway at about 75 mph. All it did was slow my car down. Absolutly not hydroplaning. Here in Washington, wet weather grip is a must, and my car is a DD. Now, as for snow, I don't think there is a worst tire beside's a DR or slick. Just today i got cought in a little snow storm, and man was it scary. Luckly yesterday i bought a set of chains. Without them, I would have been SOL big time. I think if it is possible these tires have negitive traction in the snow.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:41 AM
TECH Addict

I read on Goodyears or another site that "These tires must not be used in snow" it was pretty emphatic that way it was listed so i don't plan on testing it. I have noticed a difference in the always changing tempatures of North Jersey. Last week we had temps in the 70s and the car rode perfect, this week we are in the 30s and initially the tires feel different and they spin a lot easier until driving around for quite a few minutes (guess until they warm up)

I have a set on winter wheels (stock RSAs) but I don't plan on getting caught in snow with them either, more for when their is snow salt on the road
Old 01-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dal1as
There's not a radial tire made which will hook with that. DR's for you!
I was afraid of that.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

i have the gsd3 and i love them ride great
Old 01-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Teching In

I have not had a balancing issue so far with mine (10K so far)

I agree ride quality could be better (though its not really that bad), but it would probably take away from the tire's abilities.

I was referring to the Michelin Pilot Sports, which I feel are not as agressively designed tires....I think they are more in line with the regular Goodyear F1's.

You guys that drive in the snow with these tires are nuts! I mean, sure its probably a little fun, but i'd never risk it. My car doesn't even like cold roads, let alone snow covered ones!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting. I've had 2 sets and not once had any of those problems or heard of them except from you. Sounds like you just hate Goodyear. Like I stated. I've used all the tires in question even the pilots and the KDW is not even in the same class as the others. KD's are the better overall dry traction tire althoug the D3 when warm has a bit better straightline traction. I liked the Pilots but they were too expensive for really no improvement over the KD and just barely over the D3 in tracking and cornering.

As for using the D3's in snow. Please don't. The grooves get filled with snow and it's like sliding on drums. Scary stuff.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:13 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by Stock SS
I have not had a balancing issue so far with mine (10K so far)

I agree ride quality could be better (though its not really that bad), but it would probably take away from the tire's abilities.

I was referring to the Michelin Pilot Sports, which I feel are not as agressively designed tires....I think they are more in line with the regular Goodyear F1's.
The Goodyear Eagle F1 is quite possibly the worst "performance" tire I've ever driven on. I don't know anybody that was happy with them on even these cars from the factory.

On the other hand, the Michelin Pilot Sport absoloutly smokes the GSD3 in every aspect, although they don't hook up as well IMO. I'm not sure what you mean by "aggressively designed tires", as the Pilot Sport has been the benchmark for all the high performance tires for years. The PS2 has now bested the PS in the rain. Both are way ahead of the GSD3, again not even close. They difference here is the price, and thats why the GSD3 is the choice for some.

I'm not a Goodyear "hater" persay. The GSD3 is a good buy for the price. IMO The KDWs are the better tire all around. Though who ever is driving in snow with any of these tires is not all there....

I'm a BMW tech, therefore I'm picky about ride quality, and how well they balance up. I prefer quality tires such as the Michelins and BFGS that ALWAYS balance up perfectly (normally 10-15grams of weight MAX). I just wanted to throw that in there. I'm not some guy just shitting on goodyear. I've owned, driven, and raced on 95% of the tires out there. If I can steer someone away from a tire I think is garbage, I try to do so.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
i have the g-force KD on my car which are $295 a tire they handle great and give a decent ride and pretty good at the track at 20psi they got 2:01 60ft times. but i wouldnt sped the money to buy them .they came with the car you can buy fuzions which are made by bfg for around $100 each

sorry, thats not much to brag about...my 1st time ever at the track on my 1st run and i did a 2.02 60ft on stock tires.

i'm running the GSD3s and i really like them. they're no P1s or pilot sports, but IMO, they are damn good tires. when i warmed them up at the track last year they stuck hard enough for my clutch to take a dump at 21k miles and a 2.5-3k drop...and in the rain, they hold very very well. i'm satisfied. the only other tires i think i'd switch to are ecsta MX's b/c i really like how they held on my friends 300zx tt

the way i see it, is don't choose the tire based on price, get it for you want out of it....whether thats long lasting, great grabbing, or just an all around tire..