Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Nitrogen at Discount Tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrogen at Discount Tire

Saw a quick blurb on the local news about Discount Tire now (?) or soon (?) to be offering nitrogen for tires.
I wonder if it costs much extra. Cool though!
As I understand it - nitrogen in tires = bigger molecule so it leaks less than air and also maintains a steadier -consistant- pressure for longer.
Question: would a normal air pressure gauge give an accurate reading of a nitrogen filled tire?
Old 04-29-2006, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

pressure is pressure and nitrogen does not expand or contract with heat gain or loss so thats why they are usin nitrogen i have been doin it for a couple years now
Old 04-29-2006, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

we use it at costco and ill let u in on a little secret. if they are charging you for it dont do it because its 73-78% of what u breath every day. (air) but yes ur pressures will remain a little more consistant and it will not seep out as fast. and your gauge will work fine.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Veteran

I think one of the local places charges $3 a wheel to do it. Supposedly they inflate the tire with nitrogen, then suck it out, and re-inflate again, or something like that. A buddy said that's what they did on his Z06.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

yes i work at costco as well in oak brook illinois. from what im told nitrogen is supposed to give you better gas millage, better handling, and its not supposed to to drop air pressure. the only thing i know is true is the drop air pressure. nitrogen is a denser moducle.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there was a story twop days ago on my local news about the same thing. dude they interviewed around here said it could get 4-5 miles a tank of gas more than regular air .
Old 04-29-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was offered to me a couple weeks ago when I did a tire swap. At 3.something per tire, I couldn't justify the cost over the free stuff.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
we use it at costco and ill let u in on a little secret. if they are charging you for it dont do it because its 73-78% of what u breath every day. (air) but yes ur pressures will remain a little more consistant and it will not seep out as fast. and your gauge will work fine.
i got a coupon in today for 7 bucks a tire. some coupon huh? who doesnt charge for it?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Teching In

The reason they charge for Nitrogen is because it has to be bought and tire shops cannot produce it. Although I can't see paying $7.00 per tire for it. I use it in the Chemical Plant I work at all the time.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:21 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ranger6
The reason they charge for Nitrogen is because it has to be bought and tire shops cannot produce it. Although I can't see paying $7.00 per tire for it. I use it in the Chemical Plant I work at all the time.
that is incorrect. we have a seprate filter/ tank set up in our shop this filters out the oxygen and stores nitrogen in the tank. btw costco doesnt charge for this as they put it in every tire they sell. but if u didnt buy them there i dont know who doesnt charge for it.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Launching!

What happens when your out some where that doesnt have nitrogen?? say I got nitrogen n my tires,need pressure,and theres no nitrogen?? put regular air in?? and isnt this defeating the purpose??

And isnt the price....$3,then checks and fillups are free from there on out?? thats what I thought I heard,they are hyping this stuff around here on TV.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:09 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bootleg<detroit>
What happens when your out some where that doesnt have nitrogen?? say I got nitrogen n my tires,need pressure,and theres no nitrogen?? put regular air in?? and isnt this defeating the purpose??

And isnt the price....$3,then checks and fillups are free from there on out?? thats what I thought I heard,they are hyping this stuff around here on TV.
it defeats the purpose but it wont hurt anything beings the air u r breathing now is 70% nitrogen. i honestly dont think its worth the time and effort and i deal with it all day.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mattslightning
pressure is pressure and nitrogen does not expand or contract with heat gain or loss so thats why they are usin nitrogen i have been doin it for a couple years now
Yeah setting tire pressure when hot/warm is kind of annoying (so you run the right pressure when you drive the car). I'd rather it not vary so much.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

I work at Costco as well and wanted to know about it.

I know our tire shop guys all use it, but none of them know much about cars anyways (hard to believe, isn't it?), so I don't trust them.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

I herd about running N2 in the tires along time ago mainly, to help reduce the wear. Which I'd say goes back to the more consistant pressure. I, also, work w/ LN2('Liquid Nitrogen') in the plant and use to work @ an air seperation plant, as the plant operator. Which produced LN2, LO2 and Argon along w/ a varity w/ other industrial gases. And while it's true you may have a N2 generator in your shop. That seperates the oxygen(21.97%, I think) and nitrogen(74.something %) w/ the rest being make up of rare gases, in the air, there locally(in the shop). To have the 'pure' stuff(99.9999999...% pure = medical grade) trucked in. After the seperation process(either in buck, as a liquid(one gal = X SCF, I forgot the ratio but, it alot, I think it's like 320 scf = one gal, or something like that) OR in cylinders, @ a hi pressure, around the 21-2200psig mark. (Which is then regulated down to the desired pressure.) it costs and there is where you(the consumer) comes up w/ the extra charge and why.

WARNING: Pure Nitrogen, especially, in it's pure form(or any mixture of air w/ less than 19.5% Oxygen) WILL NOT support life!!! Nitrogen will dis-place the Oxygen and therefore, drop the % in the air your breathin.

DO NOT BREATH IT!!!

The ones (of you) out there, who work w/ the stuff(NITROGEN) most likely already know this. But, just in case, there's some (any) one else out there. Who is considering using this process/procedure for use in their tires and not informed. Be aware of the dangers assoicated w/ it's usage.

Then if, you do have to top off the pressure @ some point in time w/ reg. ol' air, @ say a gas station's air pump. All I see you loosin is some of the purity of the N2. Not a big deal, I wouldn't think, it may drop the pure to say 99.7, dependin on the amount needed. Provided the N2 fillin was of the pure stuff.

Either way if, it helps save on treat wear it maybe worth the extra cost, in the long run.

Good luck,
Don

Last edited by Don B 02 Z28; 06-03-2006 at 10:57 AM. Reason: editin
Old 06-03-2006, 04:19 PM
9 Second Club

after it gets thru our seperator and thru the machines ours ends up to being less than 4 % o2. its def not 99.9 like medical grade.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen at Discount Tire