Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

All season tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All season tires?

Looking for peoples opinions on what best tire is for rain/snow/shine on F body LS1.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

I work at a tire shop and like BFGooodrich tires. Several tires they have would be good for all season F bodies. Check out their web site. Goodyear just plain sucks when it comes to making tires. I always see them with hops or shifts in the tread. This makes them reall difficult to ballance. BFG has an adjustment policy for tires that dry rot within like 4 or 5 years. Michilin tires are good too and are actually associated with BFG. The only thing is, they're really expensive.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had great luck with the set of BFG KDWS tires I put on. Keep in mind, when you run any tire in a 275 width, it's going to want to ride on top of the snow regardless of the tread compound or pattern. In addition to pretty good wet/snow traction, I got great wear out of them.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shudog
I had great luck with the set of BFG KDWS tires I put on. Keep in mind, when you run any tire in a 275 width, it's going to want to ride on top of the snow regardless of the tread compound or pattern. In addition to pretty good wet/snow traction, I got great wear out of them.
I've had those on my car and have had no problems--great when the weather wants to act up.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

I had some KDW and they rocked!

But do the KDWS actually do well in snow???

AND do they still handle well wet and dry???
Old 10-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ActionJack
I had some KDW and they rocked!

But do the KDWS actually do well in snow???

AND do they still handle well wet and dry???
I got my car with worn KDWS tires. I was surprised that they actually gripped decent in dry/wet spring/summer/fall months. I would not drive in the snow with all season tires. Been there and it's night and day once you put on real snow tires. Get a cheap set of rims and mount 215 or 225 snow tires on them for the winter. All season tires are an all around compromise.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dom
I would not drive in the snow with all season tires. Been there and it's night and day once you put on real snow tires. Get a cheap set of rims and mount 215 or 225 snow tires on them for the winter. All season tires are an all around compromise.
Best bet is to get 4 16x7 steel wheels (stock V-6 stuff) and put 4 215/60 16 real, good snow tires on them if you'll see any real snow. Then you can put a great 3 season wet/dry tire (GSD3 or the like) on your alloys and have little-no compromise.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Best bet is to get 4 16x7 steel wheels (stock V-6 stuff) and put 4 215/60 16 real, good snow tires on them if you'll see any real snow. Then you can put a great 3 season wet/dry tire (GSD3 or the like) on your alloys and have little-no compromise.

You should be able to find a set of decent stock alloys for about $50-100 with no tires.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my wife's Z and they are awesome. I liked them so much, that we just put a second set on. They do have a little road noise, but their traction in the rain or snow is second to none and that is what is more important to me.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 521 Likes on 375 Posts

Goodyear makes SUPER tires! Been a life-long user and if you want honest opinions check out the Tire Rack web site. People that don't like Goodyear either work for a competitor or just don't want to spring the money for quality tires. The Michelins are excellent also from what I have heard from a neighbor with several high performance cars. No complaints at all other than price. The Potenza is an outstanding rain tire as well. Actually had a set on my '96 Formula when I lived in FL. Held up real well during the torrential summer rains down there. Make a good choice and don't be cheap with something so important as tires. We all pay a fortune to the insurance companies so spend some well-earned money on yourself.

Quick Reply: All season tires?