Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Run Flat Tires - Good in Theory - BUT . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thumbs down Run Flat Tires - Good in Theory - BUT . . .

Here's my story . . .

On the STS-V it comes standard with Pirelli Run Flat tires . . . sounds neat right? No need to worry if you get a flat just drive to the nearest service center . . . sure

NOT!

So anyway I get a drill bit of all things dead center in the tread section of the rear tire of the STS . . . Well fortunately I have another vehicle to drive, and carry the damaged tire to the local tire shop nearst my work. . . .

First stop, Just Tires (Elmhurst) "I need a tire patched" The guy looks at it and states "Nope!" . . . . "Nope what?" . . . "We can't fix it here need to go to our Westmont store that is certified to fix run flats" . . . "Can't you take it there?" "NOPE!" . . . So I leave pissed off.

Go to Westmont. 5 miles away . . . guess what . . . they can't do it either!!!!!

Go back to work. . . . hop on internet, to find store . . .

NTB, says can't fix run flats must buy new tire . . . $431 plus m&b . . . .
Discount Tire, same story . . . .

Find a Just Tires 14 miles away that will fix the tire . . . Need to leave it there for 1.5 hours and pick up later.

So, if the Cadi was my only car I was basically F&%^@#! . . . since I would have driven so far on the run flat I still would had to buy a new tire, that had to be special ordered . . .

Nice stupid design! Great in theory but useless in reality . . . Since the Cadi is stuck in the garage with only 3 tires, beacuse when you get run flats GM does not give you a jack or a spare tire! . . . .

Oh and I have missed over 2 hours of work! Rant off.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some tire places, especially around here, are jokes
Old 11-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Sorry to hear about your problem Xsta. To tell you the truth, I think run flat tires are a waste of money. The manufactures do say that they must be replaced if punctured and not repaired and they weigh a ton. If I ever purchase a vehicle with run flat tires, the first dollar I would spend on it would be to replace the run flats. Don't want the extra weight or the issues that you are experiencing getting it repaired or replaced. Just my opinion.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Launching!

I have fixed several runflats in the past and will do so in the future. They do not want them patched since you can not tell what damage has been done to the side wall. There is nothing special about patching a run-flat tire. it looks the same on the inside. I patch only with the understanding of the customer about the liability. Even the tire says DO NOT PATCH, or most of the ones I read.

Runflats are great in theory, but when it comes to ride they ride harsh and do weigh a ton.

sorry to hear about your pain about the tires. They are a real pain in the A$$ to gett off the wheels also.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NTB, says can't fix run flats must buy new tire . . . $431 plus m&b . . . .
Discount Tire, same story . . . .
Damnnnn, those are expensive. The moral of the story:
When you get a car with new run flats, sell them on Ebay for $350 each and buy some good tires.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

run-flats SUCK. You should see how big of a PITA they are to mount/dismount. When putting them on a $700 (each) wheel, it makes you cringe to see how stubborn those tires are to get on a wheel. A can of fix-a-flat and a small lighter powered air compressor is enough run flat for me.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

AGREED! If I bought a new C6 or Z06, before I even drove it off the dealer lot I would have (and install) some great sticky tires, either on cool aftermarket wheels, or on the stockers (IF they even make stock sized NON runflats).
Old 11-20-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Xsta,
I noticed your nice line up in cars, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do? I am actually from Medinah/Roselle and know the Just Tires in Elmhurst. You ever go to the cruise nights there on Wednesdays during the summer?

BTW, sorry to hear about the tire.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver30th
some tire places, especially around here, are jokes
Nice looking camaro you got there
Old 11-20-2006, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

hey better they tell u they cant do it there. they cant because there scared they will **** up the rim. then this post of urs would have been alot worse lol. low pro run flats suck to mount
Old 11-21-2006, 02:10 AM
On The Tree

Sorry to hear that. But as a current discount tire employee that has fixed run flats, i am a little bummed to hear you say that Discount would not do that for you. All discount tire locations should be able to fix them, as long as the repair is in the safe zone. Hope you dont pick up and more foreign objects.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fix a flat can destroy the inside of a tire though, it just eats away at the rubber, you should see what id did to my friends coated shop. The stuff stripped the coating right off in the design of the tire tread. I agree tho, runflats suck, heavy and hard.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:59 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Fix-A-Flat is supposed to be a temporary fix. Tires should always be cleaned out and repaired properly once you can get them to a tire shop. It won't eat away the insides unless people leave that crap in there for a long time.

Quick Reply: Run Flat Tires - Good in Theory - BUT . . .