Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Got Fikse FM-5s!!! How do I clean them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got Fikse FM-5s!!! How do I clean them?

I finally bought my dream rims. They look soooo much better in person. I never thought I would say this but with the polished lip and the satin finish, they look BETTER than chrome. I have wanted these for four years now. I could never afford them so I had to buy them used but they are perfect, only one year old. The only problem is the polished lip is a little hazzy and has fine scrathes all over it. What can I use to get them out? Just an aluminum polish off the shelf at AutoZone or is there a trade secret or product? And once I find the right product, should I do them by hand or use an electric buffer? Also, the satin five-star is clearcoated but also a little bit fine-scratched. Can I just use my Zaino like I do on the paint? Thanks guy's. I'll post pics when I lower it and get them shined up.

17x9.5/17x11. Looks like an exotic sports car from the back. I love it!
Old 05-01-2003, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Got Fikse FM-5s!!! How do I clean them?

And once I get them looking like new again, what should I do to keep them up? I think I once read that some use Simple Green but isn't that a little aggresive? I use Zaino car wash to wash the car, will that be okay.

I'm a little uneasy because they scratch easy. I won't be able to let them get too dirty because if the brake dust builds up it will scratch them up big time. I think I am going to switch to a ceramic brake pad to cut down on dust. I heard Quietstops are good but there are two kinds and I can't remember which one to get. Anyone?
Old 05-01-2003, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To care for my FIKSE, I just use normal car washing soap. WHAT EVER YOU DO, do not, DO NOT, use any harsh chemicals, your wheels will be ruined!

To give the polished hoop a really nice shine I gently buff it out with a diaper and a metal polish call Flitz (something like that) I found it at Ace Hardware. It is a rather runny liquid, similar to Brasso, but finer, that give the wheels a nice shine.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use S100 or P21S cleaner. It is a true spray on spray off cleaner (unless your wheels are caked with gunk). Most expensive stuff I have ever used but it works the better and it will not stain your rims.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Use S100 or P21S cleaner. It is a true spray on spray off cleaner (unless your wheels are caked with gunk). Most expensive stuff I have ever used but it works the better and it will not stain your rims.
Where can you get this stuff?
Old 05-03-2003, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just use a product called Xtreem Metal Polish. It works better than the Flitz, I have used the flitz and it does a good job but the Extreem Metal Polish works and is safe on anything. The good thing about this polish is the blacker it turns your wheel when cleaning the better it works.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where do you get the extreme metal polish. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Mother's on mine, as well as Zaino.

Old 05-25-2003, 04:18 PM
PR Director

Extreme Metal polish user here as well! Very happy with the shine.