Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

when does daily driving ur drag rims become dangerous? (how much daily driving?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default when does daily driving ur drag rims become dangerous? (how much daily driving?)

me and my friend are very seriously looking at holeshots (2 piece) rims.

weve heard that 2 piece rims are dangerous for DD because they can break.

but at what point is it considered daily driving? we both have 02 SS's with less then 30,000 miles. we both have 2nd cars. and we both use are cars for mostly racing.

is it still dangerous for us to buy the 2 piece rims? when we do drive our cars on the street we only go work and school and baby the cars.

is the dangerous part only taking turns or/and highway driving? because i dont even have a front swaybar, taking hard turns isnt even an option.

do u guys think we are in the clear to buy them? i dont see y not

also i have a friend who is an amazing welder, would welding the pieces together help?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i asked the same ? awhile back about daily driving with drag rims everyone SAID HELL NO... that + its not legal.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

I have never DD mine but I would say no. Some do and some don't. It is like the stock rearend question. Some break and some don't and no one really knows why. Maybe it was how they were built on that particular day. Either way it is a huge liability. I'm not sure if you get in an accident that causes serious injuries and the investigation shows it was your drag rims failing what caused the problem that your insurance would cover you. They are not street legal. Just a thought.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they wont instantly break, but they are a huge liability.

hit a small curb, a pothole, a raised expansion joint... and you might want to look at them... turn really hard for some reason (last second mind change, someone cuts you off,ect)... then you should look at them.. (skinny fronts dont like side loads)

overall its a liability.. but if you're only going to work/school, on a nice day, on good roads, and your conscious of the reduced ability of your car... ya, you'll be fine..

so if you want them for the track, and the occasional light street usage.. sure. do it.
if you want to go out on weekends, or cruise at all, id stick to the stronger 1 piece drag rims that are known to accept that type of abuse better.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

dammit i want these rims
Old 06-26-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

ps im the other guy....i want em too....

dang...
e
Old 06-26-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
dammit i want these rims
then buy them.

i know i shouldnt, but (when i was driving it) you could occasionally catch me with my two piece Bogart force fives on the street... shhhh.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

If you already dont have a front swaybar i cant imagine youre gonna be driving hard enough to break the rims. But it is still a concern. If you do just baby the crap outta them. They are really made to go straight, thats it
Old 06-26-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

CAN i weld the 2 piece rims together?????? will that help?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't weld the 2 pieces together, but that's just me. Can you use drag wheels on the street? Sure. Should you/is it recommended? Nope. For reasons that MrDude already mentioned. You can't predict what's going to happen on any given day. In the end, it's your choice. If you do happen to bend one of the wheels while street driving with them, don't expect the manufacturer to replace it free of charge though. Keep that in mind.

On a side note, I know of several guys who drive their car on the street often with drag wheels. Hell, I do it myself sometimes with my Bogarts when I go looking for some races...
Old 06-26-2007, 08:50 PM
FormerVendor

They are actually 3 piece wheels , not two piece fwiw. being one, two or three pieces isn't what makes them stronger/weaker. What determines its strength comes from a multitude of factors including material thickness, hardness, material type etc etc.

Our Bogart drag wheels DO have welded shells which does increase the strength of the shell. It also reduces stress fatique cracks around the bolt hole areas (of the bolted style wheels).

You need to be careful if you're driving ANY drag wheel which is meant for drag racing, not street daily driving. If they were meant for street daily driving, they wouldn't be called a drag wheel:-).
Old 06-26-2007, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CaMaRo67RS355
i asked the same ? awhile back about daily driving with drag rims everyone SAID HELL NO... that + its not legal.
since when is it illegal. welds are dot approved. I daily drove my prostars for 2 years out in ny with no issues. Just gotta watch out and avoid potholes as much as possible. That being said i did hit a few pot holes and no damage (165r15's in the front and backs changed cause drag radials and slicks dont last long)
Old 06-26-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

to each his own....Josh , get em you PUSSS...
Old 06-27-2007, 12:04 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
They are actually 3 piece wheels , not two piece fwiw. being one, two or three pieces isn't what makes them stronger/weaker. What determines its strength comes from a multitude of factors including material thickness, hardness, material type etc etc.

Our Bogart drag wheels DO have welded shells which does increase the strength of the shell. It also reduces stress fatique cracks around the bolt hole areas (of the bolted style wheels).

You need to be careful if you're driving ANY drag wheel which is meant for drag racing, not street daily driving. If they were meant for street daily driving, they wouldn't be called a drag wheel:-).
I asked this a while ago, but didn't get an answer. Can you build a 15 x 12 with a 4 inch backspacing that will hold up to the rigors of DDing?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
since when is it illegal. welds are dot approved. I daily drove my prostars for 2 years out in ny with no issues. Just gotta watch out and avoid potholes as much as possible. That being said i did hit a few pot holes and no damage (165r15's in the front and backs changed cause drag radials and slicks dont last long)

read the box they come in.

for drag race only, not for street use

is what they have engraved in them if i remember correctly.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:21 AM
11 Second Club

from summitracing.com

Wheel Bolt Pattern 5 x 4 3/4 in.
Application Notes For Drag Race use only.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:37 AM
11 Second Club

thats funny my prostars were stamped dot or ok for street use something to that effect......maybe its something new
Old 06-27-2007, 03:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc

have u guys ever had a guy break one of ur rims on the street and do real damage to the car and others, etc?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:27 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
since when is it illegal. welds are dot approved. I daily drove my prostars for 2 years out in ny with no issues.

In very large bold letters, Weld stamps "for drag race use" on almost every one of their drag wheels...i.e. front runner. THIS should be of most concern as it is listed on EVERY front runner used which is what steers the car and where MOST of the weight and high-forces exist. Just because you may have a rear drag wheel is marked DOT legal does not mean it is a street safe daily drivable wheel.

They are not for highway use nor safe to use as a street wheel. Not directed towards anyone in particular...another example if some may be stubborn in their own beliefs, et streets or qtp's are also DOT legal BUT not meant for highway or daily use.

No wheel is impervious to damage. Weld included. Prostars can and do crack as well when you use them for things they are not intended for. Members on the boards can attest to this.

In 10 years of history, we now have maybe 15 F-body people off the top of my head who have damaged our P1 wheels...this includes wrecks, potholes, curbs etc. I'm not going to tell you folks that our wheels cannot be damaged...if you use them for purposes they are not intended for, you are taking risks. I can't recall any car damages offhand from any of our F-body customers. I do know one board member lost control of his car using prostars when his calipers failed.

Things that effect wheel durability is using incorrect tires like 165 radials on skinnies, improper tire pressures, poor tire installation etc...these are things that you do not hear about, only the fact that someone damaged their weld or our Bogart wheels.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:33 AM
FormerVendor

btw, customer who do damage our Bogart wheels can/do have them repaired. Even when a tire shop bends or damages the wheel, we can have them repaired at minimal costs...so you don 't have a large paperweight.

Another benefit is our Bogarts have a VERY high resale rate in addition to generally selling within a few days...it's a rarety to see our wheels last long in a for-sale section (or even see them for sale).

Quick Reply: when does daily driving ur drag rims become dangerous? (how much daily driving?)