Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Kumho Ecsta ASX any good? Winter snow driving?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kumho Ecsta ASX any good? Winter snow driving?

My local tire shop is pushing these on me for my 2002 Z28. I asked for a good winter tire as I drive my Camaro year round in northern Colorado and sometime get in pretty deep snow! The Stock Eagles did pretty well in snow till last year when they really started to fish tale. I got 49,000 miles out of them!

So are the Kumho's any good. They are "W" rated. How will that change the handeling of the car? I do not race and it is a daily driver and I'm most concerned with snow/wet performence, nice ride quality, MPG and long life(40,000+ miles).
They quoated me $570 installed with warranty and free rotations ect.

Many thnaks!!!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had them on the rear of my trans am for a little while. They had decent wet traction. At high speeds in the rain, they did feel a little.. unstable. hydroplaning resistance didnt seem to great. In the snow they performed well I thought. Also, they had decent traction at the strip.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

They have a 30K mile treadwear warranty (the BIG BUCK RE960 B-stone is one of the only other UHP all seasons to give a t.w. warranty, but their's is 40K miles).
I have heard the same thing about the wet traction/cornering on the ASXes, which is perplexing given how "tready" and siped they are.

I'm actually considering these as well for a day to day tire, but I'm a little worried that their compounding might not grip in the COLD, DRY weather we get around here most of the winter. I HATE making compromises/sacrifices buying a "tready" all season tire, then having it still slide all over the road in cold, dry conditions!
Old 10-18-2007, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys! Anyone else know about these or have a recomendation?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Teching In

I work for a tire Shop and i have an 02 WS-6 and would not recomand those tires for the life of me! go with the goodyear Eagle F1 A/S they just came out and are Great for wet/traction/dry traction as well as Snow!
Old 10-19-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

OR... pirelli p-zero nero M&S.. Youd be surprised they arent as expensive as the other pirellis but make sure theyre the M&S high performance all season. Tire rack has them. Theyre great in dry, wet, cold, and acceptable in snow.. Theyre as good as youll get for an all season tire that sees some snow..

Im not putting down the goodyears, I have gsd3s and love them, but i have not tried those and i can vouche for these.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had these on 2 different cars, this is what I drive my Z on the street with. They arent as good as the goodyears or the perellis but for the price vs what you get they are awesome. For 16's I paid $300 for a set of four. Having a spool its nice to find a decent tire for cheap. Wet handing is good as long as its not flowing like a river, ice/snow is pretty good too. they also have a nice long tread wear rating.

Jon
Old 10-21-2007, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Problem is NEITHER the new Eagle F1 all season, nor the P Zero Nero M&S are made (or will EVER be made) in our stock, OEM, 245/50 16 size (sadly, VERY few tires nowadays are).
The new BFG G Force SuperSport all season is though, and it looks to be decent in most area (but probably not in snow traction, going by the tread pattern).
Old 10-21-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the Kumhos on mine, still have the fronts actually and they are a great tire. I don't drive my car in the winter but they were really good in the rain.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had ASX's on the rear of my car with supras on the front, worst tire I have ever had. No traction, no handling, and rode like crap. Just replaced them with a set of riken raptors and the difference is astounding. (Note: the kumhos had 70% tread left when I got rid of them, couldn't stand to drive with them any more.) Also, this is in san diego where it doesn't snow and rains once a year, I would be afraid to drive with those tires in any bad weather. They were terrible in just light rain, might as well have been slicks.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

My Acura gets real loose on the highway in moderate to heavy rain with the ASX. 225/40/18 for referrence. They are supposed to be all season but I have had to really slow down on the highway for fear of losing it.

Quick Reply: Kumho Ecsta ASX any good? Winter snow driving?