Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

bad news on BFG DR's

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad news on BFG DR's

man im so fuking pissed off. on wed. night im comming home from school and its barely raining when i leave school. ive got 315's in the rear so theyre pretty squirly in the rain and i get on the highway being super careful and im going like 45-50 mph and im in the middle lane. 30 seconds later this car pulls past me in the fast lane going like 55mph and starts to slide out a little towards me and i move over in my lane so he doesnt hit me and all of a sudden i hit a fat puddle across the road. my momentum was carring me to the right when i tried avoiding the other car and instantly set me into a spin on the high way. i had total disorientation while i was spinning. i spun a 270 and started going toward the gaurd rail on the right side of the road slapped my right rear on the rail( not too bad just some scratches that can be sanded and painted over) then brought the front of the car around and slapped the front end into the rail. i was still rolling so i went on to the gas station up the road and checked out the damage. my wings west grill got thrashed, my front end and my right quarter pannel as well as the clear corner and headlight. the shitty thing is that i cant claim it because its my 3rd mishap and my insurance will cancel me. lesson learned- dont drive the SS in the rain
Old 07-18-2003, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: bad news on BFG DR's

that sucks ***
Old 07-18-2003, 06:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that blows, maybe time to get rid or those dr's huh?
Old 07-19-2003, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Sorry to hear about your mishap, hope you get everything fixed up soon.

I think the real lesson is to be careful driving in the rain in these cars, ESPECIALLY if you are driving on drag radials or nearly bald street tires. I have Nitto drag radials on the back and they are fine for wet pavement, but ANY standing water (even 1/4" deep) is a BIG problem if you are traveling at over 30-40mph!!!

I have read all sorts of posts with people claiming both extremes - Nittos are a great rain tire to Nittos are death on 4 wheels if there are a few drops of rain...

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

I have had a pretty nerve racking experience driving 3+ hours in a DOWNPOUR with Nittos - had to slow way down - rear end felt extremely skittish like it was about to slide out at any moment. Every car on the highway was going faster than my 300+ HP muscle car , but I made it to my destination without mishap.

I have never had BFG drag radials, but everything I have read is that they are much worse than Nittos in the rain. In fact the only tires worse than BFG DR's in the rain are ET Streets or true slicks!!!
Old 07-19-2003, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,239 Likes on 790 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Nittos are great in the rain, BFG's are lousy in the rain. I had a set on my old 98SS back in 1998 and the *** end of the car would wiggle in the rain at 50-55mph. I had 2000 miles on them.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

firestone firehawk sz50 + rain =
I also remember driving in snow on 28x12.5 sportsman pros and skinies.I felt mors safe like that then driving in friends cars with drs in rain.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I bought my car with BFG DR's and pulled right off after a couple of weeks!
Old 07-20-2003, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear that.

Sucks when your careful, and some JERK who does not know how to drive, causes you to make a manouver, that causes you damage.

Ryan.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

BFG are still better then trying to drive home in a rainstorm on slicks. I was only 5 blocks from home last year, when the sky busted open. I barely made it home, having to climb the hill I live on sideways.
*rule #344* If its gonna rain, keep the car in the garage if your running worn out DR's or Slicks. And if you see lightening in the distance....run for home!!!!