Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Attention anyone wanting REAR Greg Welds

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
You're right, the 8's do fit, though really aren't fitted best for the backspace requirements. Those and weld prostars are good alternative economy drag wheels...both being lighter then billet specialties street wheels. For drag racing, I'd use any of those over a heavy street wheel.

Our wheels are the lightest direct fit wheel in 15x3.5's or 4's and 15x10's.
Cool, so your guys' wheels are NOT the only ones that are a true bolt on, as posted above.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can this thread stay on topic about WELD rear wheels? not other brands?
Old 08-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Teching In

i think that this is getting off topic...this thread is for GREG WELD wheels, not Bogarts or Centerlines. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-28-2008, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kbluws6
i think that this is getting off topic...this thread is for GREG WELD wheels, not Bogarts or Centerlines. Just my 2 cents
Truth. But with every drag wheel thread, Steve has to come in with his signature quote..

Our Bogart drag wheels are the lightest direct fit drag wheel for your car.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Banned

You're right, the 8's do fit, though really aren't fitted best for the backspace requirements. Those and weld prostars are good alternative economy drag wheels...both being lighter then billet specialties street wheels. For drag racing, I'd use any of those over a heavy street wheel.

Our wheels are the lightest direct fit wheel in 15x3.5's or 4's and 15x10's.

Steve, I have asked you before to not bash my product as i do not bash Yours. I have a Street Wheel that is Lighter Then stock. The fronts weigh the same as yours, And the rears are a Little Heavier.

Yes, I can make a Direct fit wheel if i Weld a Spacer to my wheels Bogart Style.

From what i can gather from this thread People are looking for alternatives to Drag race wheels, as they drive there cars on the street, And they Most likely Will get into some Stoplight action, And where as a Drag race wheel will not Be proper cause of the Streets and the Bending and Splitting that Occurs of the Light weight Drag race wheels.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Hm..my convo pros bolted right on with no grinding.
Sorry to be off topic but correct me if I'm wrong. If your convo pros bolted right on (with no grinding) can you tell me the part # or atleast width and back space? I'm tired of waiting!
Did you have to roll the fender lip or anything?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the convo pros that you do not have to grind at all have a wrong backspacing making them stick out to much! But they will work. Mine took a little grinding! 15x9 with 6.5 backspacing. If you ran a spacer you may get away with no grinding or less. Like i said b4 i only spent about 2 mins on each caliper with no spacer. No anything like the grinding you would do with pro stars. Pics can be found of mine here.
http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i8...n%20at%20KCCF/
Old 08-28-2008, 09:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Dragwheelz.com
Steve, I have asked you before to not bash my product as i do not bash Yours. I have a Street Wheel that is Lighter Then stock. The fronts weigh the same as yours, And the rears are a Little Heavier.

Yes, I can make a Direct fit wheel if i Weld a Spacer to my wheels Bogart Style.

From what i can gather from this thread People are looking for alternatives to Drag race wheels, as they drive there cars on the street, And they Most likely Will get into some Stoplight action, And where as a Drag race wheel will not Be proper cause of the Streets and the Bending and Splitting that Occurs of the Light weight Drag race wheels.
Drag wheel customers will not be your customers, and street wheel customers will not be our customers…so I’m not sure what you’re upset about. A customer that maybe wants to look like a drag car setup...well that may be your customer...but they will not reap the benefits of using ANY drag wheel in comparison.

I believe this post is more about economy style wheels wheras your costs and our costs are NOT in the customers budget. I make comments regarding what some overlook thinking they are saving money buy purchasing economy wheels whereas they don't realize the weight they are giving up.

Your front wheels are not as light as our wheels. Once again, I'm not bashing products you sell nor any other manufactures that I’ve suggested to others. I'm stating facts. Your front wheel is not a direct fit wheel, grinding is necessary. …Even your "modified LS1 wheel" which will be available in two weeks... When your customers use aftermarket pads/rotors it will be worse as the calipers float. Most non-OEM pads rotors are thicker then stock. You do NOT sell a direct fit wheel setup...I'm not sure why you'd state so. A weld prostar needs only needs a spacer or a "little grinding" as you state to make them fit...so why not call the weld prostar a "direct fit" as well.

Your products are street wheels, not drag wheels. Comparing them will lose every time to a weld, centerline or other DRAG wheel period. I know I've stated this to you already. Sure...yours are lighter then stock, but not as light as drag wheel. If a customer wants a street wheel that is lighter then the street wheel you sell, then your wheel may work better for them but NOT better then a drag wheel for racing performance.

In comparison, our DRAG wheels (and other manufactures drag wheels are far lighter). As you may know, a few pounds of rotational weight is not by any standard the same as static weight. For example, rounding numbers...your rear wheel which is stated to be ~16.5lbs is OVER ~5.5lbs heavier then one of our typical LS1 wheels. Using your ONE wheel is like LEAVING over 20lbs of static weight on your car in comparison to our typical LS1 drag wheel. 40lbs for both wheels!!! That is MORE then what a customer removes if they purchase a K-member. So while your street wheels are lighter then stock wheels, they are no match to a drag wheel.

I’m now going to compare pricing; your wheels are near the same cost as our products (which both of ours ARE direct fit). From a racing performance standpoint, our wheels (and just about ALL drag wheels) are far superior giving the driver better 60 ft times, better braking distances…superior all around racing performance.

I don’t know what else to say to you. I’m not bashing your products; I’m showing comparisons between brands giving showing concrete numbers to validate my statements. My comments are based on numbers period.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Banned

Steve whats a Price of your Wheels????? Direct fit Ls1 Set??

Please post so we can see?? And just any old LS1 will work.

Since you say ours are about the same Also what is the weight of Your Front wheel??? Cause i can swear a set that were on the scale then pulled off to weigh mine said the same damn thing.

P.S. there talking about Inexpensive wheels here, The BS was brought up by a few people here.

And The grinding that is required for a Street lite to work compared to a Pro Star is alot less. As i have ground down for them before.

Like i stated i can Weld a spacer to my wheels and they will be a Direct fit like the Bogarts.

Last edited by Dragwheelz.com; 08-28-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:28 PM
FormerVendor

For the least expensive design about 300.00 more for a set over yours. It all depends on what type of customization your specific criteria is being met.

What you're asking is accomplishing nothing. Your wheels are near the same price. I’d state that they are in the high-end dollar area period. For the cost difference, ours (and just about all drag wheels) have a much greater racing benefit over any street design period. Literally someone would have to purchase a k-member using either your street designs or summit/jegs street designs in attempt to come close to the weight savings as our (and other drag wheel designs)….and spend 500-600.00 for the k-member in the process!

Again…like a broken record, your wheels are street wheels; this is a drag wheel post. So your particular design will lose to any comparison drag wheel setup. Now if you want to compare using a drag wheel to a street wheel for normal everyday street use. Your wheel MAY last longer…we do not really know as the products are new. I have empirical data, over 13 real world years history of our wheels and our failure rate is almost zero from the thousands produced. This would be similar I’d image for weld prostars and centerlines. I’m assuming this much as I do not have factual data for other manufactures to back up my statements. Our products are drag racing performance oriented.

From a street oriented standpoint, as I’ve commented before, though you didn’t like those statements either…I would NEVER advise ANY customer to use a 3.5-4” skinny wheel for normal street use as handling and braking performance is VERY bad. …even IF it was a street wheel like summit/jegs stars or the like. 15” wheels handle terrible in comparison to a 16 or 17” setup for “normal” street driving. 15” wheels are typically used for DRAG racing for DRAG racing benefits. If you’re into just “looking” like a drag car, then street wheels like summit/jegs 15” setups would fit the bill as well as the wheels you carry. Your wheels I’m sure are much higher quality then a Chinese built design…BUT cost is quite different as well. I’ve noticed you’ve received quite a bit if flack on pricing as we do many times. Join the crowd. Many people have difficulty understanding processes and materials involved in designs as you’ve found out recently.

This really doesn’t need to be a battle …we have two completely different products for two completely different clients. Your customers would be street drivers I suppose, ours are drag racers. I would like folks to understand there are concrete differences from a racing standpoint so people can make a decision to fit their criteria.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Banned

Steve, What Upsets me is This is Not Really A Drag race thread. This was a Greg weld Rears Thread. You made this a Drag race thread with your Input of Your product and Your sales pitch about your wheels.

You might not like that people will and want to drive around with 15's but what you have in an Opinion, Just like i have mine. I think your Opinions are orientated at a Sales Pitch for selling more Bogart Wheels. Which is all fine and Dandy. Just remember I did not come in here Pitching what wheels are better and what not.

I have personally Driven around on 15's for years. Our wheels were designed to Stay on the car and be Driven, as well As Driven to the Strip Drag Raced, And driven home just by adding some air to your slicks or drag radials. I know my cars capabilities on 17's and on 15's. I know my car rode 10x better on a 15" setup with my stiff Suspension, then it did on 17's. It made the car enjoyable to drive again. Knowing i feel safe driving on the street is a Big thing to me, Where as many People have gotten out of the Bogarts cause the DO not feel safe with them. I know quite a few people in the chicagoland area that have Split wheels At the Track coming down the return road, or in the pits. So the Zero Failure rate is a Little off.

And 15" wheels have been around for years, Many cars have used them in the past, Driven around on them and Daily drive on them. I have, with out any problems and Many others have also. I myself will and continue to do that also. And yes i do offer the Street Lite in a 17" also, For those wanting to run a 17" combo.

P.S. im done for now, so let this thread get back on topic..........
Old 08-28-2008, 11:58 PM
FormerVendor

This is a drag race thread. Greg weld wheels if I'm not mistaken produces drag wheels. Not only is it a drag race thread, but it is realistically an economy wheel designed drag racing thread geared towards his economy line of wheels.

I am neither attempting nor considering folks to use ANY drag wheel as a daily driving wheel. I'm not sure where any benefits would lie. The ONLY benefit to using a 15" combo for daily street use is to not have to change from street to drag wheels...I’m not even pushing alone my products as if you’ve noticed, I’ve discuss just about any drag wheel as beneficial over a street wheel.

Regarding our wheel failures on F-bodies...from ALL the years produced on an F-body from the thousands produced and used, I can count the ones that were damaged. No one likes to see wheel failures, I'm no different. In almost EVERY case, damages occurred from customers using incorrect tires not spec'd for the wheels. I still have customers that are using their wheels which we produced 13 years ago (from F-bodies). We have customers with our Bogart products which are in excess of 20 years! Racing is a very harsh environment, nothing lasts forever. I've seen other manufactures drag wheels in general crack; I've seen street wheel combo's crack and/or bend. Nothing is impervious to damage.

I suppose I am pitching that drag wheels albeit weld, centerline etc...ALL lighter wheels are a much better choice reaping racing benefits over ANY street combination wheel. Unfortunately, you do not like the fact that since you sell street wheels, you are not included.

I suppose the 15" wheels you drove around on for years were actually drag wheels...not street wheels that look like drag wheels...Without the same benefits. What you may view as "better" driving abilities on 15's compared to 17's probably isn't ones typical definition...Billet specialty wheels are very nice looking wheels BUT they are very heavy. Weld XP wheels were in the same category, we also produced and still do on a limited bases a street/strip style wheel…BUT they are all heavier and do not retain the racing benefits.

Your definition and recommendation of "safe" driving as I’ve seen by suggesting to potential customers to use tires which are not rated for their cars as well as a very small footprint has much to be desired in my eyes. Your description and definition to others regarding ratings and specs as well have been incorrect which I’ve called attention to you. I’m not here to publically humiliate you nor state anything you sell is bad. I think the wheels you sell look very nice. I will call you out as the same with any other writer on the board if I disagree with statements you made AND backing up my reasoning. I understand that you are an advertiser but this does not give you the right to lead someone on with false information or misrepresentation such as your SFI discussion. I would hope that the other readers and writers would feel the same. It appears true as people have commented publically.

I take my experience and background very seriously. When I see inaccuracies I feel obligated to respond. Many readers on the boards do not have a comprehensive background regarding some topics discussed. The boards can be a great source of information…I would like to see information represented well.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 08-29-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:06 AM
Banned

Steve Read your First Paragraph. You Wrote it, This is an economy wheel thread.

So let the People have there Greg Welds.

Also, SFI Is not a Big thing, Hahahahaha Ok.

maybe if i feel like it later, I will Post up to your Long Dissertation of a Post, And get to reality.

I sell Street/Strip Wheels, That offer a Weight Advantage over Stock Setups.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is a drag race thread. Greg weld wheels if I'm not mistaken produces drag wheels. Not only is it a drag race thread, but it is realistically an economy wheel designed drag racing thread geared towards his economy line of wheels.

not to sound like a dick or feed your fire but the title is "attention anyone wanting REAR greg welds" so your kind of fighting a losing battle there. i think your wheels are awsome id buy some if i had money to just throw around like that which i don't lol.your just taking up space on a post that so far you have no reason to be in other than to promote your product. and your fight about driving on 15" drag wheels i personally know and ride with atleast 4 daily driven cars that do that with no problem 2 5.0's one with convo pro's the other with draglights one s10 with prostars and 1 blown 5.0 notch with centerline warriors daily driven on rough south jersey streets and highways never bent or broken any rims. i know you were saying centerline and welds were drag rims and so are yours and these cars have been daily driven for atleast the last 3 yrs. and they range from 10.9-11.6 1/4 et's. it sounds to me like your fighting a losing battle in this thread personally i think the both of you should go make another thread and just battle it out there...just my oppinion.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SJM and Dragwheelz this thread has nothin to do with you two so please
Old 08-29-2008, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lets keep this a little more on topic, you girls argue over PM's or just call each other up.......I was trying to check this thread to see if there was any more information on the Greg Welds, now all I see is two companies bickering like bitches over wheels that arent even a topic in this thread.........
Old 08-29-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

im always the first person to say something when people bother me than the other people start chimeing in i love it lol. but any more info on these wheels would be great. i really thinkin of going with greg welds front and prostars rear.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:14 AM
8 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by blackz6sp
SJM and Dragwheelz this thread has nothin to do with you two so please
No ****! I'm tired of going into a thread to read about specific wheels (for example Greg Welds in this thread), and having to read that damn Bogart sales speech in every one!

I used to want to own a set someday, but not anymore! I'd rather spend my money with someone that respects competition and doesn't bash them or ***** others' threads with sales pitches.

Go away already!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:18 AM
8 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Also, how about a little respect for a person that we have recently lost. Greg was a awesome guy, both on the track as a competitor, and in person.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with what both other vendors are trying to say, but its in the wrong thread...Reality is that most folks want a 15" street/strip wheel that is lighter than stock, can be driven on without fear of breakage, and then drag raced with success...I ran the Bogarts, spent more money on those wheels than any other wheel in my 20 years of racing...I only put 4000 miles a year on the car and I made the mistake of driving them on the street...The result was a broken $350 wheel...The wheel broke right at the seam between rim and the center and although Im told it was welded it sure didnt look like it...I also ran the 165 VW style radial and Im told that this tire was partially at fault for the failure...This is the same tire Ive run on every other lesser quality wheel for 20 years and never ever broke any wheel...Im not bashing Bogart as it appears that I caused the failure..Im just disappointed that the most expensive wheel I ever purchased broke, period...and I didnt feel comfortable putting them back on the car...Bogart did send me another wheel, gratis, I think...Which tells me that they do stand behind their product...But I sold them and went with the Greg Welds...

Most on here want a drag style wheel that they can drive on and race on without changing the wheels...We can all argue til we're blue in the face about safety, handling, and braking of the big n little wheels on the street, but the fact is that people will continue to do that regularly...I liked the Greg Welds for the quality, price, and apparent durability...I think Greg Weld will offer a nice alternative to the more expensive drag only wheels...I hope the rears come out soon...I like the way the fronts fit and look...We'll see about the rears...A local supplier is telling me that the rears 15x10s and 15x8s should be shipping next week...We'll see...

--Alan

Quick Reply: Attention anyone wanting REAR Greg Welds