Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Ccw's

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008 | 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Not only do they look awesome but not many people have them. I don't like fitting in with the crowd and would rather stand out.

My wheel timeline on my car(s) goes like this

Stock - AM Rebels - Firehawks - TTII's - TTM's - and finally Fikse FM5's.

Most people can't afford teh Fikse's or just don't wanna spend that kind of money on them so I'm sure I will be keeping them for awhile!
Old 06-17-2008 | 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got them because they were the lightest rim i could fit 315s on

But i guess they don't look that bad.../sarcasm
Old 06-17-2008 | 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

I love the wheel timeline- that is soooo true. My car went like this

Stock chrome 5 spokes> Early WS6 polished> Gray TT2's> now I have some CCW Classics waiting to go on the car, after I customized them a little.

CCW's are just some of the sweetest wheels out IMO, that also happen to be available in the steamroller widths that we love so much! Mine are gonna be 18x12's out back when I am done...and prolly more narrow, maybe 18x9's or even 8's in the front. I love the big staggered width look.
Old 06-18-2008 | 07:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Single piece forged. CNC machined. Light weight. High quality.
-Mike
Somebody needs to do some 'splainin......

There is a misconception that CCW wheels are "one piece". SOME of the CCWs are indeed one piece, however CCW originally entered the wheel marketplace in the early-mid '90s with a line of 3 pc. wheels.

I had a set of those early "BBS-style" CCWs on my Z-28 for a number of years. I spoke extensively with John back then, as he was going through some initial "growing pains" with his business, which caused some deivery delays (which caused the extensive conversations). Fortunately, those days are long past. I later bought a set of his "street classics", also a 3 pc. wheel, for my Corvette.

Yes, CCW also makes one piece wheels, now that they spent a TON of money obtaining the CNC machining centers that are used to make the wheels. HOWEVER, they were multi-piece wheel makers first.
Old 06-18-2008 | 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

those rims are sick!! i just cant afford those or some fikse..
Old 06-18-2008 | 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Somebody needs to do some 'splainin......

There is a misconception that CCW wheels are "one piece". SOME of the CCWs are indeed one piece, however CCW originally entered the wheel marketplace in the early-mid '90s with a line of 3 pc. wheels.

I had a set of those early "BBS-style" CCWs on my Z-28 for a number of years. I spoke extensively with John back then, as he was going through some initial "growing pains" with his business, which caused some deivery delays (which caused the extensive conversations). Fortunately, those days are long past. I later bought a set of his "street classics", also a 3 pc. wheel, for my Corvette.

Yes, CCW also makes one piece wheels, now that they spent a TON of money obtaining the CNC machining centers that are used to make the wheels. HOWEVER, they were multi-piece wheel makers first.
True, but the SP line, which is very popular on this site and probably what they are best known for on ls1tech, is a single piece wheel, is it not?

-Mike
Old 06-18-2008 | 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

I won't argue that the TT2 is timeless and they look great on both Camaros and Trans Ams. My only complaint with them is that it seems like everyone either has or had a set. There's nothing wrong with them. They fit great, they look great, and that's why they're so popular. Personally, I wanted something more unique, which is why I went with DPEs.

I've joked with people before that there is a timeline for wheels on F-bodies:

Camaro: Stock -> ZR1 -> Z06 -> TT2 -> CCW/Fikse/Iforged/etc.

Trans Am: Stock -> Z06 -> TT2 -> CCW/Fikse/Iforged/etc.

Seems like most people I talk to have gone one of those two routes.

-Mike
Cool, I skipped 2 steps. Does that make me special or do I get a cookie???....
Old 06-18-2008 | 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
Cool, I skipped 2 steps. Does that make me special or do I get a cookie???....
We all know you're "speshul".

-Mike
Old 06-18-2008 | 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

True, but the SP line, which is very popular on this site and probably what they are best known for on ls1tech, is a single piece wheel, is it not?

-Mike
It may very well be, however I haven't kept up on their latest offerings. As I mentioned, the CNC centers that they invested in let them expand their business, and as a result, that allowed them to start making one piece wheels.
Old 06-19-2008 | 11:50 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

My wheel timeline looks like this...

Chrome stock 16" t/a wheels -> chrome Zr1's (17") -> Hyperblack HP EVO's (19") -> Hyperblack Ruff 278s (19")

I was considering a set of CCW's, but decided to do the Ruff's and a lift. One day after I finish the basement, and put in another 2+ car garage, and go bigger cubes, I'll think about a $4000 set of wheels. But for now, I couldn't justify expensive wheels for a car driven less than 1000 miles a year.
Old 06-19-2008 | 11:57 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I was torn between CCW and IForged at the time I ordered my wheels...I had heard way too many horror stories about IForged's customer service (or lack thereof), so I decided to give CCW a shot. I had my wheels in a little over one week, and they are very nice. I hate how they've become so popular...kinda makes me feel a little less unique, but oh well. You can't argue with the clean lines that they offer in their wheel lineup. That and my 18x11 rear wheel/tire combo weighs only 5 pounds more than my stock ZR1s with tires.
Old 06-19-2008 | 12:12 PM
10 Second Club

chupr0kabra basically covered it. It is the quality that matters, its hard to explain if you haven't owned a premium set of wheels. My time line goes like this:

Blue car: Stock > ZO6's > ZR1's > Boyd Coddington Rebels
White Car: Stock > ZR1's > Fikse FM/10's
Black Car: Stock > Fikse FM/10's

In short, I'll never buy a replica wheel again, unless I'm selling the car and want to keep the nice ones, lol.
Old 06-19-2008 | 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
chupr0kabra basically covered it. It is the quality that matters, its hard to explain if you haven't owned a premium set of wheels.....In short, I'll never buy a replica wheel again, unless I'm selling the car and want to keep the nice ones, lol.
I recently decided to step up to 17" rims on my Z-28, and shopped around a bit. I briefly considered ZR-1s, as they ARE a nice looking design. I didn't buy them, however, primarly because you DON'T know where they come from. I have a strong suspicion where they come from, and I don't have faith in that country's ability to consistantly produce good metals.
Old 06-19-2008 | 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

I recently decided to step up to 17" rims on my Z-28, and shopped around a bit. I briefly considered ZR-1s, as they ARE a nice looking design. I didn't buy them, however, primarly because you DON'T know where they come from. I have a strong suspicion where they come from, and I don't have faith in that country's ability to consistantly produce good metals.
I'll tell you right now 99% of replica wheels out there come from China, I've seen where they make them. Most things are made in China, from wheels to the iPhone. It is all about the factory that made them, and they must pass DOT standards to be released from port (or have a certificate on file). Tons of people on here run them with no issue, and their chrome plating is very good too.

The reason I'll never go to a replica wheel again is because I like to be unique (I know FM/10's aren't exactly unique, but how many people are running around any of our local area's, probably less than a handful, hell, how many are running around with ZR1's?).
Old 06-19-2008 | 06:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I'll tell you right now 99% of replica wheels out there come from China.....

The reason I'll never go to a replica wheel again is because I like to be unique (I know FM/10's aren't exactly unique, but how many people are running around any of our local area's, probably less than a handful, hell, how many are running around with ZR1's?).

I agree, however I refuse to use a Chinese wheel. But, a Fikse wheel not unique? I think I've seen 2 sets in person, ever. Where I live, I was the ONLY one who ever had a CCW wheel....
Old 06-19-2008 | 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

The last two posts are EXACTLY why I bought my DPEs. I originally set out to replace my black FM5s with Technipolished FM5s. When Tony (damn junkie crack dealer that he is) showed me I could get the 18" DPEs for within a couple hundred of the 17" FM5s I was after, it was a no-brainer.

-Mike
Old 06-20-2008 | 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Where I live, I was the ONLY one who ever had a CCW wheel....

Really....people around here have no clue what CCW or SOM or hell what even WS6 mean!
Old 06-20-2008 | 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
Really....people around here have no clue what CCW or SOM or hell what even WS6 mean!
I was thinking the same thing. People here have never heard of any aftermarket wheel besides replica wheels. People's face go blank when I say something about CCW, I-Forged, HRE, Fikse, etc., but you say z06 wheel and they're like...."hell yeah, those are badass"