Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Do these look safe? [doesn't know nuthin about drag wheels]

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do these look safe? [doesn't know nuthin about drag wheels]

I read through the sticky info about drag wheels but it doesn't really address what I'm concerned about with these wheels I picked up for $80.

They're 15" x 8" drag wheels with Hoosier slicks on them, so $80 for wheels WITH tires, was a pretty good deal so I pulled the trigger pretty quickly on it.
Looking through the Summit catalog of brands it almost looks like they are old American Racing Outlaw II's but I can't be sure. The guy I picked them up from wasn't sure of their origin so as you can guess I'm somewhat concerned about their safety.

I've gotten different opinions from people that looked at them, but thought I would pose this to you guys.

I was initially concerned about the separation of the center piece and the actual wheel center circle. Factory wheels are flush with that piece and these are not but I'm not sure if that matters, I've gotten different opinions.
It seems to me the studs would center the wheel but that may be naive logic.

Also I'm concerned about the shape of the stud holes, they look oblong, but when the lugs get in em and tightened down they seem to center fine.

If you can't see they look similar to this, the pic is a bit exaggerated to give you an idea of the shape.

I understand I'll have to grind the brake calipers a bit, which I'm not totally comfortable with but I'm prepared to do a little of.
I'm mostly concerned these things are going to vibrate or blow @ 100MPH so I'm a bit nervous.

Thanks for any op's

~Tommay
Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Looks like they are meant for shank lugs which really isn't a problem but due to the fact that the hub bore is different, the wheel won't really stay in place. I'd suggest either finding another set of wheels or maybe getting some metal hub rings to compensate for the gap. Hard to tell without actually seeing it in person.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

They use a certain washer. Thats why they are shaped like that. Get the right washers and lugs then take it for a drive to see how it feels.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys,
The washers and lugs that were originally used by the previous owner are the ones in the first pic, they seem to be what fits with the wheel..similar to these maybe?
They fit up ok when torqued down and it looks pretty centered.
Hub rings? [looks through summit catalog]
Old 06-23-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

AKA "hubcentric" rings. You'll need them to compensate for the difference between the axle hub diameter and the wheel hub diameter. You'll need a caliper to measure the size needed.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

my tt2's are like that in the hub part.... they are lug centric wheels not hub centerd as you tighten down the lugs it centers the wheels. shouldn't need hubcentric rings....
Old 06-23-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1BADTALS1
my tt2's are like that in the hub part.... they are lug centric wheels not hub centerd as you tighten down the lugs it centers the wheels. shouldn't need hubcentric rings....
Your TT2's are probably acorn lugs, in which you do not nead hub rings. Shank lugs do not center the wheel, so he does need hub rings.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

This is starting to look more and more like its not worth the hassle.

I might reconsider and just buy some 16's with tires if I really want a better time slip.
They were a poorly thought out impulse buy anyway, I'll prob just flip em on Ebay or craigslist I suppose.
Live and learn I guess.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

BadTA is right those wheels are originally designed to be lug centeric, Hub centric rings are not needed nor will they work with the way the factory axle flanges vary. Now the bad news, they were not intended ORIGINALLY to use a shank style lug nut, it looks like they wer "modified" in the field to fit a different bolt circle than they were made for (in this case they were probably 5x4.5 originally and someone ground them to fit 5x4.75) Everything will probably fit up OK as long as the lugs are tight (do not overtighten them!) but they still look a little scary to me. If something should get a little loose you probably won't think it was such a good deal.