Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks
View Poll Results: Greg Weld Racelite 92 Star Wheels or Billtet Specialties Street Lite Wheels for 02 SS
Greg Weld
40.48%
Billet Specialties
59.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Help me decide Greg Weld 92 Star or Billet Specialties F Body Street Lites for my

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
if I was to buy the billit specialties wheels I might as well save up and get some bogarts that have no problems.
The plus with Billet Specialties wheels, is that you can daily drive on them if you want. Bogart's are not that much lighter, and are known to break if driven on the street.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro396
The plus with Billet Specialties wheels, is that you can daily drive on them if you want. Bogart's are not that much lighter, and are known to break if driven on the street.

yep what he said... ^^^ plus a new set of bogarts are outta my price range
Old 10-20-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

true true. I guess I am just going to wait untill a company makes a decent combo that is not going to cost me 2k plus with tires.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
true true. I guess I am just going to wait untill a company makes a decent combo that is not going to cost me 2k plus with tires.

im thinking about doing that too but idk yet
Old 10-23-2008, 11:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without getting into a disagreement keeping comparisons and discussions correct between our products and others, as well as keeping the post within its constraints of the two choices asked, for the record, our DRAG version Bogart wheels are far lighter. We have had VERY few F-body customers with wheel failures. Improper front tire selection has been almost always the main culprit.

A street/strip wheel should not be placed in the same class as a drag wheel. There is no comparison. A drag wheel (place your favorite drag wheel manufacture here), will always be lighter than a street or street/strip wheel period. It is generally not “just a few pounds”. For example, our street/strip wheel (as well as billet specialities street/strip wheel) is 60% heavier than our LS1 designed P1 drag wheels. We do build other drag wheels that are even lighter!! It depends on how we build the wheels.

Billet Specialty street/strip wheels are no different in weight as OUR street/strip Bogart wheels which we've produced for many years on F-bodies, mustang etc. They can be viewed in our F-body gallery. I do not believe we have EVER had a street/strip wheel failure to date fwiw.

You’ll rarely ever see me discuss our street/strip wheels since they are heavy in comparison to a drag wheel. I personally feel 15” wheels are meant to be used for drag racing applications whereas weight does matter. The 6 pound difference you’re considering for ONE rear wheel is like leaving 24lbs on your car!! That is only one wheel. Rear drag wheels in generally rarely ever fail...from any manufacture. You'll see fronts fail more in general due to higher stress.

Since there are alternatives such as gw, summit racing and alike which are far more economical compared to even a street/strip setup which is typically double the price without significant performance improvements (realistically almost zero), most who want a street/strip setup suggest (as I see written quite often), want an economy wheel. The ones which come into mind are made in china. High-quality does not generally come at economy prices. That being said, the economy lines of wheels are a good choice for many and I suggest them to those folks all the time. It is difficult to try to tell someone to purchase our street/strip wheels which are over 1000.00 when for 400.00 they can have the same performance enhancements.

We do not have one type of wheel, the name Bogart does not mean just drag wheel. We have Street/strip wheels, road race wheels; drag wheels…dirt track wheels etc.

Regarding price-comparisons to others, it depends on your considerations. Our wheels vary in price according to the build design. Our least expensive P1drag setup right now would be ~1400.00 and typically discounted by outlets ~1350.00. Fitment issues at that point would be no different then a set of any typical street/strip wheel on the market today.

Keeping in light of the original question, I'd 100% pick the greg weld wheels at this point being they are far less expensive and offer more advantages then the street/strip configurations in the 1000.00+ range on the market.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

/\

Excellent post

I need Bogart pricing
Old 10-24-2008, 12:45 AM
FormerVendor

Thank you.

I've indicated base pricing, it depends what you're looking for. Our wheels are certainly not economy priced. They are also not economy style wheels either. There are more and less expensive wheel manufactures on the market. I do feel the prices are a very good value and competitive for what is received. We still to date are the only manufactures with the lightest direct fit front and rear drag wheels for the LS1/LT1 community.

I'd prefer to keep this a post regarding the two wheel choices asked. This way the typical people with smart remarks do not state we have to place our two cents in every wheel post. My comments made were to straighten the misquoted statements clearing a few generalizations and misconceptions.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had Bogarts on my 2001 Z/28. Drove to the track and back, and some street driving and never had a problem. I understand they are out of the price range for some, but if you want to buy a 15" wheel you know will fit a 4th gen, get Bogarts.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hardtop
I had Bogarts on my 2001 Z/28. Drove to the track and back, and some street driving and never had a problem. I understand they are out of the price range for some, but if you want to buy a 15" wheel you know will fit a 4th gen, get Bogarts.
Yeah, or Billet Specialties, Greg Welds, Convo Pros. They also fit 4th gens.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:44 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah, or Billet Specialties, Greg Welds, Convo Pros. They also fit 4th gens.

Not attempting to get off the original subject here...once again, there's a few more statements that need clarified from the same poster. Above is a very broad statement and may be misleading to some readers...you may as well state any wheel will fit.

All listed have some problem or another with either fronts or rears or a combination of both. ...either being poor backspace choice/width of wheel and/or caliper clearance without modification.

Actually, none listed have have a direct fit front AND rear street/strip or drag wheel for an LS1. They can be made to fit one way or another...somtimes it can be easy/difficult to work as the calipers float.
ALL setups will be not the same (even though the cars may still retain OEM components). Our Bogarts are the only ones which have a drag wheel setup that is a direct fit LS1 and LT1 using OEM components. Our street/strip wheels have similar problems as Billet Specialties new setup. If you're using aftermarket components, fitment can be worse for all the above including ours.

Hardtop, you're among almost all LS1/LT1 users. Thanks for being a one of our proud customers.

I'd say the least expensive choice once again would be any non-usa product (I think the economy greg welds are made in china too). Greg weld produced high-end wheels may be made in USA, I'm not positive so don't quote me on this one.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Not attempting to get off the original subject here...once again, there's a few more statements that need clarified from the same poster. Above is a very broad statement and may be misleading to some readers...you may as well state any wheel will fit.

All listed have some problem or another with either fronts or rears or a combination of both. ...either being poor backspace choice/width of wheel and/or caliper clearance without modification.

Actually, none listed have have a direct fit front AND rear street/strip or drag wheel for an LS1. They can be made to fit one way or another...somtimes it can be easy/difficult to work as the calipers float.
ALL setups will be not the same (even though the cars may still retain OEM components). Our Bogarts are the only ones which have a drag wheel setup that is a direct fit LS1 and LT1 using OEM components. Our street/strip wheels have similar problems as Billet Specialties new setup. If you're using aftermarket components, fitment can be worse for all the above including ours.

Hardtop, you're among almost all LS1/LT1 users. Thanks for being a one of our proud customers.

I'd say the least expensive choice once again would be any non-usa product (I think the economy greg welds are made in china too). Greg weld produced high-end wheels may be made in USA, I'm not positive so don't quote me on this one.
Incorrect. My Centerline Convo Pro's bolted right on with no spacers and no grinding, when my car will still stock with stock calipars. 15x4 fronts, and 15x9 rears that sat flush with the rear 1/4 with a 275/60/15 radial.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:53 AM
FormerVendor

You obviously did not read my post. Though you quoted it.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:05 AM
11 Second Club

Sure I did. Your quote said "All of the listed wheels above either dont fit without extensive grinding, or they are the wrong offset"

I said, neg. My Centerlines fit with no grinding and are correct offset/backspace.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:05 PM
FormerVendor

You apparently do not comprehend what I've stated and you've misquoted me to boot. It’s getting a bit ridiculous how I apparently correct half your statements.

Instead of going back and forth, I’ll comment only to your specific setup. What you had maybe did work for you. It will not work for everyone, the calipers float, not all are setup have the same clearances even IF they are all OEM setups. You wheels are not centered in the fender well sitting too far outward for most people’s tastes. From the side, it looks ok, from the back, it does not. I would pick the 10” prostars using 7.5” BS over what you had. Maybe this is why you changed as well, I’m not sure and I really don’t care.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Dragwheelz, my calipers have already been grinded on the rear to clear my 15x8 Draglites,would the standard BS 15x10 with the 7.5 backspace work or will i still have to go with the F-body specific rear wheel?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssmoov1
Dragwheelz, my calipers have already been grinded on the rear to clear my 15x8 Draglites,would the standard BS 15x10 with the 7.5 backspace work or will i still have to go with the F-body specific rear wheel?
No you would still need the Ls Specific wheel. The Dropcenter will not work. You will need to remove too much material.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Just curious what size drag radial that blue camaro in the thumbnails is running??
Old 10-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Banned

275/60/15
Old 10-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Default Just bought Street Lites from Billet Specialities

As the title states I decided on the Street Lites and bought the Strange front and rear drag brake setup. Bogart makes a great product, but I just liked the look of the Street Lite. Jason was a pleasure to work with and I would recomend his product to all.

Thanks,

CoopZ06
Old 10-28-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Coop,

How was the Strange brake installation and how do they perform on the street (eg: hard braking from a highway run)?

Quick Reply: Help me decide Greg Weld 92 Star or Billet Specialties F Body Street Lites for my