Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks
View Poll Results: Greg Weld Racelite 92 Star Wheels or Billtet Specialties Street Lite Wheels for 02 SS
Greg Weld
40.48%
Billet Specialties
59.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Help me decide Greg Weld 92 Star or Billet Specialties F Body Street Lites for my

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I think what YOU are not understanding is ALL of your wheels have a spun aluminum hoop, and a spun forged center. If you have to spin the regular hoop, and the LS1 hoop, how is it that much more money for the LS1 hoop? The same amount of work has to be done on each wheel does it not? Either way I still like Bogarts more than either of these wheels

Sean
Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Your not understanding.

The Hoop Is not the Same And requires More work to be spun. And i Know the hoops are spun, I missed 1 word. And the Center is Rotary Forged, Not Cast. And Not Spun.

When something has More use and Manufactured in Big Big Quantities, It is usually Cheaper.
When something is Custom made To fit a Specific Application,And that application only,It is usually More expensive.

Last edited by Dragwheelz.com; 08-26-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the Price needs to be lowerd and use one hoop design You have to realize the way everything is going here in the us with $ people are going to buy the cheeper wheel even if the other wheel looks a little better I got tired of waiting and got a killer deal on convo pro wheels 15x4 and 15x9. The front bolted right up using stock wheels stud/no grinding/no spacers. The rear used stock wheels studs, No spacers and very very little grinding! I have $800 in the whole set with only $500 mile and high $ tires.

Yeah there are some other drag wheels that look beter but they look good enough and work great and cost alot less them most and weight less then most

Last edited by SIC LSX; 08-26-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I may get the 17x7 17x11 BS SL but they are priceed right for the sizes, but the bad thing is the 15's cost about the same as 17s LOL
Old 08-26-2008, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragwheelz.com
Can i ask you if you know what is involved in the engineering and the production of a product???

The normal 15x10 hoop has Many uses in a backspacing. So when you can have quite a few hundred on the floor that are being used for any Backspace from 3.5-7.5 yes it will be cheaper as those hoops are already designed and have multiple uses.

Now you have to totally redesign a wheel to make it fit for one specific application. yes there will be an upcharge as you have to engineer the new design, test the new design, and pay to have a few hundred hoops made, Not a few thousand like you can for a Multiple use hoop. Im not sure how much simpler it can be explained to you so you can understand it.

Can I ask you if your ******* retarded?

Dude said:

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
BS raised the price a good bit due too us owning a f-body
Meaning the prices went up with having a "special" F body hoop.

You responded with:

Uhm no, Not true and please do not start rumors. It was explained that this is a totally diffrent wheel, and redesigned to fit and work on a f body.

So basically what you said is "No thats not true, they are NOT a completely diff hoop"

And All I was doing was saying YES, they ARE a completely dif hoop, and way more expensive.

I was correcting your error, you dont have to go into detail about what I already know. I work at a speed shop and chassis shop that has built and sold everything from 6 second top sportsman cars to 5 second dragsters, your not telling me anything I don't already know.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK.. Serious question. So The ls1 wheel needed more clearance for brakes we know this. Other then that it is still a 15 x 10 with 7.5 bs. Why would billet specialties keep 2 wheels on the market. The ls specific wheel and the old wheel when the ls wheel would fit everything the old wheel would, and have more clearance and possibly save other people the hassel of grinding. Then they would be mass producing the ls specific wheel, and we could get a better price.

Chris
Old 08-26-2008, 08:03 PM
9 Second Club

According to him the only car ever made that needs a 15x10 with 7.5" BS is an 4th gen F-body. And apparently 4th get F-body owners only want 1 single size option, because nobody runs narrowed rear ends, or mini tubed car, ect. I think the point that has been avoided is that BS isnt the only one making a wheel for LS1 cars, there just the only one with an upcharge for it.

Sean
Old 08-26-2008, 08:07 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Broke EF
According to him the only car ever made that needs a 15x10 with 7.5" BS is an 4th gen F-body. And apparently 4th get F-body owners only want 1 single size option, because nobody runs narrowed rear ends, or mini tubed car, ect. I think the point that has been avoided is that BS isnt the only one making a wheel for LS1 cars, there just the only one with an upcharge for it.

Sean

On there site they have a 15x10 with 7.5 bs for 259.11. So other cars must use them.

Chris
Old 08-26-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

ouch!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Banned

Intresting, But i will explain this for those that can not comprehend the price increase for a Direct Fit wheel.

the street lite is available in a 15x10 with 7.5" of backspace, as we all know those do not work on Ls1 cars, work on Lt1 cars with Major grinding. The convential 15x10 will work with drag brakes, and some street brake kits also.

The Fbody Specific wheel was Designed for a majority of the F bodies on the road. Stock brakes and a Stock backspace of 7.5". The wheel was Designed from Scratch to fit directly over stock brakes with No grinding or modifications needed, For this wheel to work properly a New hoop needed to be designed to Fit the Street lite center as there was Nothing that will work. So a custom hoop was Designed and Spun. With this Custom hoop Spun, the material and manufacturing costs Rose in price over the original Street lite wheel. So with a rise in material and manufacturing costs, the price of the Product also had to rise. The Suppoused F body tax is in the Price of manufacturing a piece that directly Bolts on with no grinding or anything else needed.

If you have a Narrowed rear end and Mini tubs, Most likely you have Drag brakes, Which the regular 15x10 will work for you, Or you will run a Light weight Drag race wheel.

I offer the wheels at a Discount to those Interested in purchasing them, And those that have are More then satisfied with there Purchases, And my services.

And yes, The 17" street lights are a little more expensive in price, But there not a Custom Direct fit application. All the Sizes can cover a variance of Different back Spacings Which in turn makes none of them a Custom wheel like the Direct fit wheel is.

If you feel were still Too expensive, Then our product is not for you.

Thank You,
Jason

P.S You all keep quoting Jobber pricing, Not the Pricing i am offering the wheels for.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:50 AM
9 Second Club

Ill say it AGAIN, your wheels are the ONLY wheels that are more expensive for the "LS1 wheel" over the "normal" version of the same wheel. EVERYONE else who has a LS1 wheel had the same issues as you, and had to overcome it just like you, but only you passed the cost on. My other main point is the fact that from a manufacturing stand point the center section of the two piece wheel is the same for all the 15's, leaving the hoop to be the one and only difference. All of your hoops are spun aluminum, meaning if you need a LS1 wheel or anything else it has to go through the same processes. Obviously you have to spin to a different dimention for the LS1 wheel, but its not some crazy new way of making the hoop, its a slightly different program for the machine. No new tooling, no new equipment, no new anything really, just a modified program (more than likely)
Last thing, you keep saying that the 15x10 with 7.5" back spacing ONLY fits a F-Body, but then why do you sell a non LS1 version? I cant say off the top of my head what it can fit, but I'm sure more than one car on the planet can use those specs. Regardless of that, your saying that the LS1 hoop can ONLY be set to a 7.5" back space? Last I saw hoops can be used for a range of back spacing depending on where you weld the center section.

Sean
Old 08-27-2008, 06:48 AM
Banned

Jay and Sean...I think you both need to go out to dinner and discuss this over a beer
Old 08-27-2008, 08:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ill say it AGAIN, your wheels are the ONLY wheels that are more expensive for the "LS1 wheel" over the "normal" version of the same wheel. EVERYONE else who has a LS1 wheel had the same issues as you, and had to overcome it just like you, but only you passed the cost on. My other main point is the fact that from a manufacturing stand point the center section of the two piece wheel is the same for all the 15's, leaving the hoop to be the one and only difference. All of your hoops are spun aluminum, meaning if you need a LS1 wheel or anything else it has to go through the same processes. Obviously you have to spin to a different dimention for the LS1 wheel, but its not some crazy new way of making the hoop, its a slightly different program for the machine. No new tooling, no new equipment, no new anything really, just a modified program (more than likely)
Last thing, you keep saying that the 15x10 with 7.5" back spacing ONLY fits a F-Body, but then why do you sell a non LS1 version? I cant say off the top of my head what it can fit, but I'm sure more than one car on the planet can use those specs. Regardless of that, your saying that the LS1 hoop can ONLY be set to a 7.5" back space? Last I saw hoops can be used for a range of back spacing depending on where you weld the center section.

Sean

15x10 7.5 is the size and backspace you need to fit the ugly gen Novas.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

I guess I don't see why this has become such an argument. I for one am willing to pay an extra couple hundred bucks to keep from grinding or running a spacer. Not only that, but you don't see these wheels on every drag car like you do some of the other wheels. Bogarts are the only other drag wheel that I don't see on every other drag setup and the B.S. are tougher for street use. So, if you want a drag wheel that is different than everyone else's AND fits with no grinding or spacer AND is safe to drive on the street, then spend a little more dough and get them. If not, buy something else. It's a free market for the buyer and the seller.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Banned

Sean
You are Quite Wrong. Who else has a Direct Fit Bolt on Streer wheel for a ls1 in 15"??? Besides Bogart??

If you were Smart like you are trying to come off to be, The Center gets welded into the Drop Center of the wheel, Well the Drop center is the Smallest Part of the wheel hoop. the Drop Center on this wheel is Designed Specifically to clear the brakes on the Top of the caliper and front of the claiper. With that being Said there is only 1 place to weld in the center on this wheel. That is what makes this wheel have only 1 Set backspace.

What you said about hoops being used for many offsets is hilarious, I have stated that Plenty of times about the Conventional Hoop. It can be used for many Offsets. So the costs of that wheel are cheaper to produce then the Fbody wheel is. If a Product COSTS more to produce, IT WILL COST MORE MONEY.

Plain and Simple, Your arguments and Points are invalid cause you Obviously do not know what goes into the Cost of manufacturing and development of a product. Like i stated Before, If you feel they are Too expensive, Then do not purchase them, They are not for you.

I just added up what jegs charges, and what i charge. I am exactly 100.00 more a set.

100.00, Thats Outrageous Price gouging.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:22 AM
9 Second Club

You are Quite Wrong. Who else has a Direct Fit Bolt on Streer wheel for a ls1 in 15"??? Besides Bogart??
Weld has the fronts, and are working on the rear. You guys have the rears, and are working on the fronts.

If you were Smart like you are trying to come off to be, The Center gets welded into the Drop Center of the wheel, Well the Drop center is the Smallest Part of the wheel hoop. the Drop Center on this wheel is Designed Specifically to clear the brakes on the Top of the caliper and front of the claiper. With that being Said there is only 1 place to weld in the center on this wheel. That is what makes this wheel have only 1 Set backspace.

Holly ****, you actually explained something, and it makes sense.

What you said about hoops being used for many offsets is hilarious, I have stated that Plenty of times about the Conventional Hoop. It can be used for many Offsets. So the costs of that wheel are cheaper to produce then the Fbody wheel is. If a Product COSTS more to produce, IT WILL COST MORE MONEY.

Didn't you just contradict yourself there? You said its funny I thought a single hoop is used for more than one application, then you said a conventional hoop IS used for many offsets.
And yet again, why does it cost more to produce this wheel, it has all the same process involved in manufacturing with one small dimensional change.

Plain and Simple, Your arguments and Points are invalid cause you Obviously do not know what goes into the Cost of manufacturing and development of a product.

Huh, that's interesting seeing as how my job is in manufacturing and development.

Like i stated Before, If you feel they are Too expensive, Then do not purchase them, They are not for you.

I just added up what jegs charges, and what i charge. I am exactly 100.00 more a set.

100.00, Thats Outrageous Price gouging.
BTW if you have noticed I have never brought up that they are to expensive, only that I cant figure out the added cost over the standard. I also never said you were price gouging, but on that point what wheels are 100 less a set than you? If its the same LS1 wheel ordered through Jegs then that's no good for business.

Sean
Old 08-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Banned

Sean,

If you are in the manufacturing Business Create a Line of wheels Since you can do it Cost effectively and Come into the market. If you are in the Manufacturing Business then you know that Product redevelopment costs Money, It is Not free. When cost of production and materials Rise the price of the product rises.

I am honestly done with Bickering with you as it does nothing productive since your not getting the answers you desire.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question on if you want a 15x10 with 5.5 back spacing and your using ls1 calipers????
Old 08-27-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

price comparison and i know the 15x10s wont be out for a few months or so from GW.

BS street lights with lug nuts & valve stems = $1,100+shipping
GW race light = $499.80+shipping add another $50 for lug nuts

GW fronts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzD_n3ryAOY
Old 09-01-2008, 12:24 AM
9 Second Club

not sure who's still reading this thread, but the billet specialties fronts still need grinding. Not alot, but they need to grind. The GW front need grinding so if they get there rears out it will be a bolt on wheel.

Chris

Quick Reply: Help me decide Greg Weld 92 Star or Billet Specialties F Body Street Lites for my