Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks
View Poll Results: Greg Weld Racelite 92 Star Wheels or Billtet Specialties Street Lite Wheels for 02 SS
Greg Weld
40.48%
Billet Specialties
59.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Help me decide Greg Weld 92 Star or Billet Specialties F Body Street Lites for my

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 02:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been explained already guys, the billet specialty rim hoops have been designed completely differently to clear our LS1 rear brakes so YOU wont have to grind or do any of that craziness you HAVE to do with the greg welds. That is what you're paying for....and even then find out they wont fit even after you went on a mission figuring out why you just destroyed your car grinding for the "cheaper" set of wheels. Greg welds were a major headache on my friends car, he grinded the LS1 brakes down so far they weren't functional anymore, he then swapped to LT1 brakes, and still grinded, still nothing, then swapped a actual LT1 rearend to help with the spacing etc, still nothing, guess what - He just got fed up with it and had to order a Moser rear end that would fit the gred welds. Its supposed to be the other way around lol What i hate is that EVERYONE, even summit tells you these welds are bolt on and that they fit perfectly. I knew they wouldnt fit from the beginning but thats a big time F-up by greg weld imho and bad business.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fenix999
It has been explained already guys, the billet specialty rim hoops have been designed completely differently to clear our LS1 rear brakes so YOU wont have to grind or do any of that craziness you HAVE to do with the greg welds. That is what you're paying for....and even then find out they wont fit even after you went on a mission figuring out why you just destroyed your car grinding for the "cheaper" set of wheels. Greg welds were a major headache on my friends car, he grinded the LS1 brakes down so far they weren't functional anymore, he then swapped to LT1 brakes, and still grinded, still nothing, then swapped a actual LT1 rearend to help with the spacing etc, still nothing, guess what - He just got fed up with it and had to order a Moser rear end that would fit the gred welds. Its supposed to be the other way around lol What i hate is that EVERYONE, even summit tells you these welds are bolt on and that they fit perfectly. I knew they wouldnt fit from the beginning but thats a big time F-up by greg weld imho and bad business.

Thats weird Ive been waiting a few months now for the GW's and I was never told they would fit, Ive been told the whole time that they were redesigning the rear.

I won't be doing any grinding I will wait for the redesigned GW's
Old 08-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the billet specialties better.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Maybe your friend is an idiot and should do a lil research first.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/924554-attention-anyone-wanting-rear-greg-welds.html
That thread (you know, the one specificly about REAR Greg Welds) say that they don't currently fit LS1 OR LT1 brakes, but they ARE in development.

Sean
Old 08-25-2008, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats odd. I took my Greg Welds out of the box, installed tires, and bolted them on. No grinding here. So what if the billet specialties are a redesigned wheel, we all ******* know that, no one said they wern't, infact thats exactly what everyone is saying!

Normall Billet Specialties wheel = 229.99
"Special" LS1 Billet Specialties wheel = 349.99
Old 08-25-2008, 02:59 PM
9 Second Club

Ok just to be clear, NEITHER company makes both a front and a rear that direct fits right? Both have one (BS has the rear, GW has the front) and both are working on the other end right? So how is anyone bashing one company and sticking up for the other as far as fitment? Now talking cost, the GW's are inexpensive, how does that make sense with a vehicle specific wheel if that is the same reason the BS's are so damn expensive?

Sean
Old 08-25-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mike Herzog at Greg Weld gave these two responses today in reference to their Star 92 rear wheels for or F-bodies:

Jay,

Thanks for the e-mail!

Yes. We will have the 92-Star that will be available in the 15x10 7.5” Backspace. The projected release is mid-September.

Mike H.

Jay,

The new design of the rim in the 15x10 7.5” BS will be completely open on the rear barrel offering plenty of brake clearance. No waiting list as of yet, as the ETA becomes more exact we will probably start one them.

Mike
Old 08-26-2008, 12:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Thats odd. I took my Greg Welds out of the box, installed tires, and bolted them on. No grinding here. So what if the billet specialties are a redesigned wheel, we all ******* know that, no one said they wern't, infact thats exactly what everyone is saying!

Normall Billet Specialties wheel = 229.99
"Special" LS1 Billet Specialties wheel = 349.99
Can i ask you if you know what is involved in the engineering and the production of a product???

The normal 15x10 hoop has Many uses in a backspacing. So when you can have quite a few hundred on the floor that are being used for any Backspace from 3.5-7.5 yes it will be cheaper as those hoops are already designed and have multiple uses.

Now you have to totally redesign a wheel to make it fit for one specific application. yes there will be an upcharge as you have to engineer the new design, test the new design, and pay to have a few hundred hoops made, Not a few thousand like you can for a Multiple use hoop. Im not sure how much simpler it can be explained to you so you can understand it.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:55 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dragwheelz.com
Can i ask you if you know what is involved in the engineering and the production of a product???

The normal 15x10 hoop has Many uses in a backspacing. So when you can have quite a few hundred on the floor that are being used for any Backspace from 3.5-7.5 yes it will be cheaper as those hoops are already designed and have multiple uses.

Now you have to totally redesign a wheel to make it fit for one specific application. yes there will be an upcharge as you have to engineer the new design, test the new design, and pay to have a few hundred hoops made, Not a few thousand like you can for a Multiple use hoop. Im not sure how much simpler it can be explained to you so you can understand it.
Didn't Greg Weld have to do the same thing? How are those still well priced?

Sean
Old 08-26-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is Greg Weld pricing in a 15x10 non f-body application. Fantastic price if you ask me.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 08-26-2008, 09:12 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TexasVortexx
Here is Greg Weld pricing in a 15x10 non f-body application. Fantastic price if you ask me.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
That's amazing considering all the custom work they need to do, and that they will only fit one car

I have a question though, if the difference with the hoop on the Ls1 wheel is MORE clearance couldnt it be used in even more applications than the current wheel? Just a thought.

Sean
Old 08-26-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Broke EF
That's amazing considering all the custom work they need to do, and that they will only fit one car

I have a question though, if the difference with the hoop on the Ls1 wheel is MORE clearance couldnt it be used in even more applications than the current wheel? Just a thought.

Sean

I would think so myself. We will have to wait and see what the actual f-body application price will be.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Banned

Didn't Greg Weld have to do the same thing? How are those still well priced?

Sean
Greg weld wheels is Supposedly Changing there tooling on there 15x10 7.5" Bs for all there wheels period. There is a BIG Difference Between the 2 wheels in construction. The weld wheel is a Cast wheel. The Street Lite wheel is a 2pc Billet Alum wheel.

its kind of like a Ccw to a Torq Thrust.

1 is cast 1 is billet aluminum.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:44 AM
9 Second Club

Greg weld wheels is Supposedly Changing there tooling on there 15x10 7.5" Bs for all there wheels period. There is a BIG Difference Between the 2 wheels in construction. The weld wheel is a Cast wheel. The Street Lite wheel is a 2pc Billet Alum wheel.

its kind of like a Ccw to a Torq Thrust.

1 is cast 1 is billet aluminum.
So you realize that Billet is machined cast aluminum right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billet_(manufacturing)

And my point still stands, if the LS1 wheel has more room, why not make that your standard wheel?

Sean
Old 08-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Banned

Sean
It's not really Amazing, They already Have getting cast a 15x10 in china. So now you revise and modify your mold to try and fit the f-body. when this is the only Cast number you will have for a 7.5" backspace it is a Big diffrence as you are modifying a casting you already are offering. Where we had to go back to the drawing Board, and get a hoop made Specifically for the Fbody for us in a 15" specifically for this application.

The Hoop needed to be redesigned to fit over the Stock brakes. The stock wheels that came on a fbody were 16" and were needed for brake clearence. now when you try and put a Standard 15" wheel that is designed onto a car for a 16" standard wheel, It will not work. Common sense tells you that. So a revised hoop was needed that was F Body Specific to work with the stock brakes. This hoop was not an off the shelf conventional hoop, this was custom made for this application. And yes It will work on a car that requires a 7.5" backspace, It will also work on any vehicle that requires 7.5" of Bs that needs big brake clearance. And yes the Hoop has more clearance, But this is a 2 piece wheel Opposed to a cast 1 piece wheel. You can not move this center anywhere else in this hoop as it is Just f Body Specific. It is a 15x10 7.5" Bs with Bigger brake clearance.

Please list me all those vehicles that it will work on????

There is a BIG DIFFERENCE between the 2 wheels. 1 is cast overseas, 1 is made from billet aluminum. with a forged Spun Aluminum Hoop.

Last edited by Dragwheelz.com; 08-26-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

It's not really Amazing, They already Have getting cast a 15x10 in china. So now you revise and modify your mold to try and fit the f-body. when this is the only Cast number you will have for a 7.5" backspace it is a Big diffrence as you are modifying a casting you already are offering. Where we had to go back to the drawing Board, and get a hoop made Specifically for the Fbody for us in a 15" specifically for this application.

The Hoop needed to be redesigned to fit over the Stock brakes. The stock wheels that came on a fbody were 16" and were needed for brake clearence. now when you try and put a Standard 15" wheel that is designed onto a car for a 16" standard wheel, It will not work. Common sense tells you that. So a revised hoop was needed that was F Body Specific to work with the stock brakes. This hoop was not an off the shelf conventional hoop, this was custom made for this application. And yes It will work on a car that requires a 7.5" backspace, It will also work on any vehicle that requires 7.5" of Bs that needs big brake clearance. And yes the Hoop has more clearance, But this is a 2 piece wheel Opposed to a cast 1 piece wheel. You can not move this center anywhere else in this hoop as it is Just f Body Specific. It is a 15x10 7.5" Bs with Bigger brake clearance.
Thats not the customers fault
Old 08-26-2008, 11:19 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by blackz6sp
Thats not the customers fault
Your post didn't make that much sense, but I agree with this guy. Also your saying its that much more money for only the hoop? If you're machining it out of a solid piece of aluminum (that is what your implying isnt it) how much is affected machining wise between the LS1 hoop and the standard hoop? the center section would be the same for either wheel.

Sean
Old 08-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Banned

So you realize that Billet is machined cast aluminum right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billet_(manufacturing)

And my point still stands, if the LS1 wheel has more room, why not make that your standard wheel?

Sean
I think you are misunderstood on what i offer and wording.

Billet is the solid metal from the foundry. It comes in different shapes and alloy's. Forged is a process of squishing a piece of billet aluminum into the desired shape (near-net is best). Forged is stronger than both machined billet and cast aluminum.

cast is something that was poured into a shape and is then machined. It can lead to poor quality due to its porousity and cause cracking. Billet is something machined out of some form of ingot. The ingot can be anything cast or hot rolled and can be virtually any form of any type of material and quality of material. also there are also several casting methods used giving various stregths/properties to the metal. Ie. Low pressure, gravity, sand...

we feature a rotary forged aluminum centers Not a cast Center. There is a Difference.

How is a rotary forged wheel manufactured?

A: It utilizes a rotary forging press, the only one of its kind in the world, to compress a solid billet of aluminum with 4,000 tons of force, at 300 revolutions per minute. Not only does this process rearrange the aluminum molecules, but it also aligns them in a circular pattern thereby adding strength. As a result, the rotary forged wheel has a much tighter grain structure and is significantly lighter weight than a cast wheel which requires greater mass due to its inherent porosity.

What is a 2pc rotary Forged wheel?

A: The two-piece wheel is manufactured from a billet aluminum, rotary forged center and a billet aluminum rim. The center is then welded into the rim.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Banned

Your post didn't make that much sense, but I agree with this guy. Also your saying its that much more money for only the hoop? If you're machining it out of a solid piece of aluminum (that is what your implying isnt it) how much is affected machining wise between the LS1 hoop and the standard hoop? the center section would be the same for either wheel.

Sean

The hoop Is redesigned. The Hoop is Not Machined. The hoop is Spun Aluminium.

I think what your not Understanding is, This hoop was not an Off the shelf Part, It was Designed and engineered By Billet Specialties, Then manufactured For Billet Specialties with 1 Purpose in Mind. The F body Specific wheel.

Whats the Diffrence Between a Cast Crank and a Forged Crank??? Why are they More money???
Old 08-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Banned

If you cannot see why the wheels are more expensive, Then i do not know what to tell you, except that our product is not for you. And please don't say we are taking advantage of the situation, Or the F-body community.

Quick Reply: Help me decide Greg Weld 92 Star or Billet Specialties F Body Street Lites for my