Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

My new one of a kind Weld wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can anyone give me a picture from the back of a car with 15x10s 7.5 bs. i can never see a good angle to let me know how much tire sticks out of the quarter panel... thanks
Old 10-03-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

15x10 7.5 back spacing and 26x11.6 tires aka 295/50r15s
Old 10-03-2008, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

SIC LSX You're car looks fukin awesome from the rear!
Old 10-03-2008, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

These wheels are STILL 100% made in Kansas City, here is a picture we did on test fitment of the 15x10 with 7.5" backspace.
Attached Thumbnails My new one of a kind Weld wheels-mvc-007l.jpg  
Old 10-03-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jjordan
These wheels are STILL 100% made in Kansas City, here is a picture we did on test fitment of the 15x10 with 7.5" backspace.
Good deal. Now what is the current status of Weld and their relation to American Racing?

Here is why I ask. Back in the day, I had nothing but great luck with American's (have bought numerous sets of Torq Thrusts for other applications) and that led me to buy a set of Trakstars for my Camaro.

The problem I had was that many of the bolt heads that hold the centers to the rims had gouges around them. When I called American for help on the matter, I received no assistance what so ever. Also, there were many defects in the finish on the center of the wheel, something I felt was uncalled for on a wheel of that price-point.

When I contacted the supplier, they gladly took the wheels back (with me paying the shipping both ways, of course). I had looked into exchanging them, but all of the others they had in stock had evidence of the same problem with the bolts. Since then, I have seen that the newer Trakstars have washers under the bolts, so that may be the correction for the problem (bolt heads gouge the wheel as it is torqued down without a washer under it?) Also, my run-in with the finish issues could have been a fluke as well.

Getting back to the point... that experience left me with a bad taste in my mouth, so I am concerned about Weld's tie to American Racing. I will admit, outside of the logos, the wheels look great and I am encouraged that they are still made here.

Any idea on availability and pricing?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
those are so sexy! Safe for street or more like a bogart?
Wouldn't safe for the street be kind of subjective?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bad2000z
SIC LSX You're car looks fukin awesome from the rear!
Sorry that my friend charles 35th le but my car looks about the same, but my wheels are 15x9 with 6.5 backspacking so they sitr the same but with a 26x10's are skinny Im about to have those same tires295/50's on mine so it will look the same.
b4 i lowerd it and with the 26x10's cant wait to buy the new tires. These came with the wheels
Old 10-03-2008, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Weld Racing was never "owned" by American Racing, even though a lot of the American field reps liked to tell that "story". When Weld went bankrupt (due to things that happened on the street side) a holding company that owned American Racing bought Weld also. It was their plan originally, to make us into one big wheel company, but due to one thing or another that did not work out. The holding company went out and bought Wheel Pros and has taken that company and the street wheel side of American and formed them into a large wheel import/distribution co. The racing side of American Racing (Pro Series line) and the racing side of Weld have been spun off into a seperate company here in Kansas City, concentrating solely on the racing products.
The Trackstars used to be made by an outside company in Southern Calif for American Racing, we had very little control of the product or how it was made, very frustrating for all parties. Since the re-org we are now making the TrackStars in-house here in Kansas City and have much better control over the product content and it's quality. I am sorry for your previous bad experiences, especially sorry for the poor response you got when you asked for help. We are a small company that does nothing but race related products, most all of us are racers and the only way we survive is by satisfying customers. That is our #1 goal.
Pricing and availability will become more clear in the next week or so, we are building stock as we speak.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jjordan
Weld Racing was never "owned" by American Racing, even though a lot of the American field reps liked to tell that "story". When Weld went bankrupt (due to things that happened on the street side) a holding company that owned American Racing bought Weld also. It was their plan originally, to make us into one big wheel company, but due to one thing or another that did not work out. The holding company went out and bought Wheel Pros and has taken that company and the street wheel side of American and formed them into a large wheel import/distribution co. The racing side of American Racing (Pro Series line) and the racing side of Weld have been spun off into a seperate company here in Kansas City, concentrating solely on the racing products.
The Trackstars used to be made by an outside company in Southern Calif for American Racing, we had very little control of the product or how it was made, very frustrating for all parties. Since the re-org we are now making the TrackStars in-house here in Kansas City and have much better control over the product content and it's quality. I am sorry for your previous bad experiences, especially sorry for the poor response you got when you asked for help. We are a small company that does nothing but race related products, most all of us are racers and the only way we survive is by satisfying customers. That is our #1 goal.
Pricing and availability will become more clear in the next week or so, we are building stock as we speak.
Thanks for the response! Sounds like there were a lot of factors at play with my experience, but I may give these new Welds a try on my Malibu.

What is the best way to contact Weld if I have any questions?
Old 10-03-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMM those are pimp as hell! Sorry I like those a lot.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
Wouldn't safe for the street be kind of subjective?
The new Weld Racing RT Series wheels pass SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) testing requirements for a 1200# load rating. The SAE qualification is virtually the only spec that is used for "street" wheels and the 1200# rating is more that sufficient for car applications (unless towing an enclosed trailer) and is the same test load specified by many aftermarket street wheels. The Weld Racing RT wheels also surpass the drag racing spec SFI 15.1 requirements. Hope this clarifies your doubts.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

i'll be the first to admit that i don't know a lot about drag wheels, but is there a reason the spokes' diameter is so small, and there is a large surface area on the face of the wheel (where the bolts are), instead of making the spoke diameter larger to kinda "open up" the outside face of the wheel some?

i'm going to assume that's done because the inner section (i.e., the "spokes") are heavier than the outside "barrel" portion of the wheel (due to the thickness of the spokes), and adding more spoke length adds more weight?
Old 10-04-2008, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by srider
The new Weld Racing RT Series wheels pass SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) testing requirements for a 1200# load rating. The SAE qualification is virtually the only spec that is used for "street" wheels and the 1200# rating is more that sufficient for car applications (unless towing an enclosed trailer) and is the same test load specified by many aftermarket street wheels. The Weld Racing RT wheels also surpass the drag racing spec SFI 15.1 requirements. Hope this clarifies your doubts.
That actually takes away one of my two concerns. I am not trying to take anything away from your product at ALL. In fact I like yours a lot more than most of the other options just on the brake clearance alone.

My only other concern comes from the size of the wheels. I have always been a little weary of putting 3.5 inch wide wheels on a car that came stock with wheels twice that size. For a drag car I don't see a problem. Just not so keen on them being on a street car.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:00 AM
TECH Addict

That actually takes away one of my two concerns. I am not trying to take anything away from your product at ALL. In fact I like yours a lot more than most of the other options just on the brake clearance alone.

My only other concern comes from the size of the wheels. I have always been a little weary of putting 3.5 inch wide wheels on a car that came stock with wheels twice that size. For a drag car I don't see a problem. Just not so keen on them being on a street car.
as i mentioned before, i don't know much about drag wheels, but one thing i do know is that when they say they are ok for the street, they mean that they'll handle bumps & stuff in the road that could possibly bend other drag wheels and damage them.

they should work just fine on the street as long as you're not trying to auto-x everywhere....just take the turns nice and slow.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
as i mentioned before, i don't know much about drag wheels, but one thing i do know is that when they say they are ok for the street, they mean that they'll handle bumps & stuff in the road that could possibly bend other drag wheels and damage them.

they should work just fine on the street as long as you're not trying to auto-x everywhere....just take the turns nice and slow.
What happens when you have to make an emergency stop? The braking is the thing that scares me the most about running skinnies on the street.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

What happens when you have to make an emergency stop? The braking is the thing that scares me the most about running skinnies on the street.
well that's definitely one thing you need to keep in mind when you consider running skinnies on the street, but i don't think it's going to be a huge issue unless you're going way too fast on the street to begin with....i mean, after all, drag cars have to stop pretty quickly after running through the traps at the end of the 1/8 or the 1/4, and (for the most part) they do just fine, even when travelling at speeds far in excess of any posted speed limit in North America.

i'd imagine that if you're close enough to someone that you couldn't stop in time (while driving normally), you'd end up hitting them anyway, regardless of the width of the front tires.

there may be a tiny percentage of cases that this wouldn't be the case, and the extra width would have prevented a collision, but it's probably so small that it would be like never leaving your house for fear that an asteroid would fall on your head.

if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.

maybe someone can post up with some actual statistics and numbers that dispute my feelings on the matter, but in all honesty, if it was that big of an issue, you'd see tons of people on racing forums posting up about it, as well as warnings from the manufacturer that you may not be able to stop in time on the street when running their skinnies.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
well that's definitely one thing you need to keep in mind when you consider running skinnies on the street, but i don't think it's going to be a huge issue unless you're going way too fast on the street to begin with....i mean, after all, drag cars have to stop pretty quickly after running through the traps at the end of the 1/8 or the 1/4, and (for the most part) they do just fine, even when travelling at speeds far in excess of any posted speed limit in North America.

i'd imagine that if you're close enough to someone that you couldn't stop in time (while driving normally), you'd end up hitting them anyway, regardless of the width of the front tires.

there may be a tiny percentage of cases that this wouldn't be the case, and the extra width would have prevented a collision, but it's probably so small that it would be like never leaving your house for fear that an asteroid would fall on your head.

if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.

maybe someone can post up with some actual statistics and numbers that dispute my feelings on the matter, but in all honesty, if it was that big of an issue, you'd see tons of people on racing forums posting up about it, as well as warnings from the manufacturer that you may not be able to stop in time on the street when running their skinnies.
That's probably the best example I have heard before. I completely forgot how short shut down areas are sometimes.

I get a new outlook on things everyday.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:32 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking for some pricing. I need a sweet set of drag wheels for my 93.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

i love these wheels
Old 10-06-2008, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

looks Real nice, but i like my bogarts, i didnt have to run any spacers, nor did i have to grind my calipers... But i really like the black center...

Quick Reply: My new one of a kind Weld wheels