Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Friend of mine wants me to pick a lil system out for them

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friend of mine wants me to pick a lil system out for them

A girl I know has a newer focus, and wants to put a decent little sub in it, nothing ground shaking, but good sounding, and wants to stay in a budget of a little over 200 bucks tops, possible?
Old 11-28-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I assume that car has a 4 speaker setup, being a focus. I'll also assume the very generic assumption that she wants to keep trunk room, being a girl (girls don't get insulted cuz i would too).

Have you looked for an under seat sub? They are generally less powerful but are closer. I was looking at the Boss BASS-600 for my old car. 200 watt rms, 600 peak self amplified sub thats only 2.8" high. It seems to get good reviews online. And it costs only about $150 shipped.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't touch Boss, even for her. Get her a RE Audio RE10 in a smallish box plus a Kicker ZX300.1 amp. Get them from Ebay and use the live.com deal (Google it if you don't know of it). A 0.5cuft box would be good for that subwoofer.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

I used to have a regular cab Dodge Dakota. If you have ever seen this truck or been in it, you know that there isn't a lot of storage space anywhere except the bed. I got a JL Audio 10" W0 sub and a custom box made and put it between the drivers seat the the back wall. It fit perfect and had great sound. I don't remember what amp I had but I know it was a small one by Alpine. I think JL has quality products and the sub was a good price. I attached a picture of the sub and box in my truck before I sold it. Sorry the floor isn't cleaner, I took the picture right after the install before I got a chance to clean. She could always move up to a W-1 for a little bit more bass. (Not that it is needed)
Just my $.02
Attached Thumbnails Friend of mine wants me to pick a lil system out for them-blackdak-spk-1.jpg  
Old 11-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Banned

Go kicker all the way
Old 11-29-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Circuit city usually has a buy one get one deal on subs, so you can get 2 for 100$, then get a decent amp and a wiring kit.

Nice.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MadMike96
Go kicker all the way
No, don't do this.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Circuit city usually has a buy one get one deal on subs, so you can get 2 for 100$, then get a decent amp and a wiring kit.

Nice.
Perhaps you can get a decent amp. there, but not decent subs.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Whats with all the kicker bashing......there comp and comp vr that cc carries arent bad at all. They get loud enough for most ppl...especially if you get the subs already in the kicker ported box.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i like MA audios middle line of subs. i have had them in 15s and 10s and they sound great for the money. i think my tens were like 60 a piece.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by habeba86
They get loud enough for most ppl...especially if you get the subs already in the kicker ported box.
You need to stop recommending equipment, especially if you think that volume is what makes good equipment. Neither Kicker nor MA Audio make any good quality subwoofers.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonrage
You need to stop recommending equipment, especially if you think that volume is what makes good equipment. Neither Kicker nor MA Audio make any good quality subwoofers.
i have had kicker comps and MA audios and i think both are fine for what most people use them for. i think kicker is over-priced which is why i dont buy them. my two comp15s i beat everyday for years and they never missed a beat. i went to some mid-level MTX and they were even better, although i didn't have them long enough to test their longevity.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Kicker is indeed overpriced. That's why I recommend RE Audio RE10/RE12 or Dayton Audio for low-priced but good subwoofers.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

The vast majority of ppl that I install subs for dont really care how it sounds..they jst want it decently loud..and the kicker gets it dont jst fine... When you say quality do you mean how it sounds or it will take beating and keep playing? Because if you think that kicker builds crap quality speakers you need to do a little research. I agree, I dont think kicker builds a great sq sub, but in the right application you can get the l5's and l7's to sound good. And if you think all I care about is getting loud then you havent seen my set-up.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Honestly, I don't care what you run and I don't care what kind of people you install for. I recommended subwoofers that are both better and cheaper than the crap you recommended. And giving the "most people don't care" reason to promote overpriced crap just because it's common disqualifies you, in my opinion, from providing recommendations.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Honestly, I don't care what you run and I don't care what kind of people you install for. I recommended subwoofers that are both better and cheaper than the crap you recommended. And giving the "most people don't care" reason to promote overpriced crap just because it's common disqualifies you, in my opinion, from providing recommendations.
If you looked at my post I didnt reccomend Kicker in the first place..... I jst stated that kicker doesnt suck like you were saying. You obviously dont work in the industry and dont understand that certain ppl like different things in their subs. That has nothing to do with this thread and I agree, I wouldnt rec. kicker for your app. If your looking at spending under 200 for the subs I would reccomend a 12"....diamond d3....boston acoustic g2...polk audio mobile monitor....jbl power series.... You can find the image dynamics idq v2 pretty cheap now and they sound great.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Banned

Look into the Alpine Type R's if they can be had for around 110 on ebay and in a ported box they are LOUD!

Sent you a PM
Old 12-01-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by habeba86
You obviously dont work in the industry
You're right. I'm in home audio, not car audio. Doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about, because I assure you I do.

I like the brands you listed. I like RE Audio more.

Also, don't go Alpine, OP. RE Audio is still better. And just a note to those who think RE Audio is my favorite company ever, or that I might work for them, keep in mind I don't usually recommend them. Just that I think that in this price range, they are excellent. I use Fi in my car and currently Dayton for my home setup, both excellent as well.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone use Fosgate anymore? I bought a 10" fosgate punch for my ss, and I think it sounds pretty good. I dont care if it is the highest sound quality or the loudest, but for $89 I think it sounds pretty damn good.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Only Circuit City shoppers. They're not good but there are many worse brands. I can't really blame people who don't have the time do do much research and just want a little extra bass. It's just people that actually come attempt to do the research and end up going with MTX or whatever that baffle me.