Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ATTN: People who want to replace or upgrade Monsoon Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how would this work?
75 Watts RMS Power Handling

150 Watts Peak Power Handling

Frequency Response 35 Hz
5k Hz

Sensitivity 92.8dB

4-Ohm Impedance

Single 1.5” Aluminum Voice Coil

6.5” 150 W Mid-Bass Woofer
MA Audio MA65B
Old 01-17-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Good News

I emailed Rockford Fosgate today and just got a response back from the product planning manager. They are currently testing a new 6.5" sub to replace the rfp 4406 He didn't give a release date but said he's aware of the demand.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

I, too, have run into the blown sail panel woofer problem. I have 3 options:
1)Buy 2 jl 0w6's for $160 total. This is a good overall solution but I plan to install a system at a later date such that the 6's may take a back seat to a sub/amp combo.
2)Buy an unloaded stealthbox for ~$160. Buy cables for amp install. Install a JL 10 and an amp I already have. This would produce the best results but it's a lot of work right now (just got the car). I can spend the same on the 6's, not have to spend money for install materials and not have a lot of work involved in the install.
3)Install a set of Alpine Coax's I already have into the sail panels. This would not be ideal but it might get me by for a little while.

Any thoughts on option 3? I know that it will only be playing low frequencies, but will that hurt anything? I imagine that the tweeter will just go unused.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

option 3 would work and would be your best bet if you plan on spending the $$ on a whole new system in the future....

no reason to waste money now... yes they will work... they wont be particularly great, but they will work...
Old 01-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Rogue Leader: How did you get the door panel that fits the tweeters? Do I have to buy something that works with my camaro? I dunno? Any help would be great Thanks!
Old 01-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Alpine SPS-170A 6 1/2's

Will an Alpine 9833 deck be able to power this coaxial, both the sub and the tweeter? I'm planning on bypassing the monsoon amp.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98WHTSS
Rogue Leader: How did you get the door panel that fits the tweeters? Do I have to buy something that works with my camaro? I dunno? Any help would be great Thanks!
Trans Am Doorpanels have that tweeter, Camaros do not...
Old 01-21-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheWilldog
Alpine SPS-170A 6 1/2's

Will an Alpine 9833 deck be able to power this coaxial, both the sub and the tweeter? I'm planning on bypassing the monsoon amp.
powering the subs with a Headunit will suck.... dont do it....
Old 01-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Rogue Leader: So what do u suggest I get to update my monsoon speakers? Thanks
Old 01-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Default Replacing Rear-Seat Side-Panel Subs w/ JLAudio 6W0's

I know that Rogue Leader has recommended using the two longer wires to wire the subs (which is what I did and it sounds pretty good), and another person asked what would happen if you used the shorter wires instead. This is probably a stupid question (because I have limited experience with wiring), but what would happen if you connected both sets of wires to the sub (the short ones and long ones)?
Old 01-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Default Replacing Rear-Seat Side-Panel Subs w/ JLAudio 6W0's

Another thing. I have started having problems with my factory Monsoon head unit. I am thinking about putting an after-market head unit in, but am not sure how it would work with the existing Monsoon speakers. Will an after-market head unit change the way my JL Audio 6W0's sound. If it does, I may sell my JL Audio 6W0's if anyone is interested. They are less than 6 months old and are in perfect condition. I'd probably sell them for around $100 plus shipping. Also, does anyone know if you can buy a wire harness that connects the original harness from the Monsoon head unit to an after-market head unit?
Old 01-23-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JLA99TA
Another thing. I have started having problems with my factory Monsoon head unit. I am thinking about putting an after-market head unit in, but am not sure how it would work with the existing Monsoon speakers. Will an after-market head unit change the way my JL Audio 6W0's sound. If it does, I may sell my JL Audio 6W0's if anyone is interested. They are less than 6 months old and are in perfect condition. I'd probably sell them for around $100 plus shipping. Also, does anyone know if you can buy a wire harness that connects the original harness from the Monsoon head unit to an after-market head unit?

The aftermarket headunit will only power the tweeters. You'll still be powering the mids and subs with the monsoon amp in the back of the car. It'll likely sound better so i'd keep the 6W0's
Old 01-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
The aftermarket headunit will only power the tweeters. You'll still be powering the mids and subs with the monsoon amp in the back of the car. It'll likely sound better so i'd keep the 6W0's
Cool! Thanks for the tip Smoking WS6! I've seen some things about needing an antenna converter for after market head units. Some model year TA's need them, some don't. One of my best friends has an '01 WS6 with an after market HU and didn't need the converter. Mine is a '99. Can anyone tell me if I will need the antenna converter?
Old 04-05-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackHawk02
I'm replacing the subs in my 2002 Trans Am with Monsoon. Both factory subs have two pairs of wires both black and red connected to them. The new subs have only a connection for one of the pair. Which of the two do I use or do I use both plugging both black into negative and both red to positive?
You must have gotten Monsoon subs out of a camaro. The Trans Am has dual voice coil subs where the camaro only has a single.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to lock this Thread down to try and manage it into something useable.

16 pages is rediculous.

Quick Reply: ATTN: People who want to replace or upgrade Monsoon Speakers