Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

CarPC How To [And worklog]

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by transambandit
The way i did it was, cut one of the wires and use a 12v reader to see which one has power when the ignition key is on, thats the one you use.
Neither drew any power.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vicinity
Neither drew any power.
thats weird, well you could always use the cig lighter orange wire, thats a 12v ignition wire
Old 05-09-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much power can the cig lighter wiring take? I just bought a netbook off walmart online for $265 and it comes with a 60 watt ac adapter. I assume while its charging battery its using full 60 constantly. Can it take this plus the 10ish from the screen or do I have to run directly off battery with a relay?
Old 05-09-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't want to cut a bunch of wires, but I guess I'll take the entire adapter off and test each wire.

I'm way too tired to do it today, so I'll work on that monday.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Very interesting. I was considering something like that for my car.
Subscribed.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

If anyone wants to pick up a carpc i am going to be uninstalling mine, it has a intel 1.6ghz dual processor with 512mb ram, i also have a 1gb that i havent upgraded that will be included, it has an 80gb hard drive with windows vista installed, a gps antenna with microsoft streets and tips 2007 installed and an m2-atx power supply. Included is an external sound card, usb dvd drive, 4 port usb hub and a mini ps3 keyboard. Also has the necessary extension for lilliput monitors that is 15ft long and a long power cord to connect your monitor for power from the carpc itself. It is all self contained in a mini case that is easy to install, you just to fab up a monitor and you will be good to go. 300 shipped and its yours.

Sorry if i hijacked your thread dude.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

If anyone wants to pick up a carpc i am going to be uninstalling mine, it has a intel 1.6ghz dual processor with 512mb ram, i also have a 1gb that i havent upgraded that will be included, it has an 80gb hard drive with windows vista installed, a gps antenna with microsoft streets and tips 2007 installed and an m2-atx power supply. Included is an external sound card, usb dvd drive, 4 port usb hub and a mini ps3 keyboard. Also has the necessary extension for lilliput monitors that is 15ft long and a long power cord to connect your monitor for power from the carpc itself. It is all self contained in a mini case that is easy to install, you just to fab up a monitor and you will be good to go. 300 shipped and its yours.

Sorry if i hijacked your thread dude.
No problem. I see why you're selling it, this is really a task getting this thing complete.

I think I've cut my carpet so many times an emo kid would be proud.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

This is tight. I may have just found a use for one of my spare laptops.

Question though, will you have to wait for the computer to boot up every time as you start the car?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

thats weird, well you could always use the cig lighter orange wire, thats a 12v ignition wire
The lighter is not switched ignition power it is battery power. It works even when the car is off and the key is out.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hlaalu
This is tight. I may have just found a use for one of my spare laptops.

Question though, will you have to wait for the computer to boot up every time as you start the car?

desktops and such, yes you have to wait for it to load out of hibernation. by gutting the loading transitions and gutting the op system people can reduce it to 30 secs or so, sometimes. with a laptop, you make it go to standby and let it run off its own battery. this is why laptops really are superior in the end. because they are on instantly, unless you don't drive your car more than a couple times a month.

Last edited by Flaring Afro; 05-12-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Man if I spent nearly as much time driving my car as I did maintaining and modifying it this would be high on my list. Awesome work man! This is incredible work!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
^ desktops and such, yes you have to wait for it to load out of hibernation. by gutting the loading transitions and gutting the op system people can reduce it to 30 secs or so, sometimes. with a laptop, you make it go to standby and let it run off its own battery. this is why laptops really are superior in the end. because they are on instantly, unless you don't drive your car more than a couple times a month.
how would you go about hooking up the power for a laptop?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

how would you go about hooking up the power for a laptop?
its harder then a case computer, you have to take it apart and if you look at the power button there are 4 small pins on 2 sides, you have to wire up a switch and put the two wires on which ever 2 pins start the laptop. The problem is the pins are very small and it is hard to keep from breaking the solder points. it has been done successfully by some people, i just couldnt get mine to work.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

its harder then a case computer, you have to take it apart and if you look at the power button there are 4 small pins on 2 sides, you have to wire up a switch and put the two wires on which ever 2 pins start the laptop. The problem is the pins are very small and it is hard to keep from breaking the solder points. it has been done successfully by some people, i just couldnt get mine to work.
what if you cut the wire after the power adapter (the wire that would normally plug into a wall) and wire that somehow to the battery?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

you just grab an auto adapter for your laptop. There are universal ones on ebay for $12 shipped that work fine. You cut the tip of it off and wire it in instead of using the cigarette lighter hole. You have to keep the brick in the power adapter though because that regulates how much power you get, and cars have DC electricity not AC like your house so the normal wall plug would never work.

Then as far as starting it, yes you have to hardwire to the power button but its rarely not successful.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Then as far as starting it, yes you have to hardwire to the power button but its rarely not successful.
hmmm i found some info on a bios that will start the computer as soon as it gets power. that would be perfect, as soon as the key is turned to the on position the computer would boot up. I'm sure someone could even figure out a way to have it boot up when the alarm is unlocked.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ you are extremely lucky, thats very very rare. that works, just keep in mind if it freezes you have to get to the laptop.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

^ you are extremely lucky, thats very very rare. that works, just keep in mind if it freezes you have to get to the laptop.
yea looks like windows is out of the question

where do you guys mount all the hardware? i believe the OP said he was going to do it under the passenger seat?

and p.s. i hope im not ruining your build thread with all my questions
Old 05-13-2009, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

where do you guys mount all the hardware? i believe the OP said he was going to do it under the passenger seat?

Nope. I'm enjoying reading what other people are doing as well!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

my acer netbook is being delivered today. its so small, it should fit under center console under radio and all. i might have to trim the carpet there or something but it should fit. then i wont have to remove any panels to get to it and it will be out of the way.

also, i thinks windows might be a must. there isnt really any front end software for apple (and everything that will work with it is much more expensive, as usual). then for linux, i just dont think there are any good front ends either, though i havent looked into it. as long as you have a solid processor and ram you should be ok, just wipe it clean and reinstall windows (maybe tinyxp). all its going to do is gps, video, and audio so as long as you dont overload it (which with those alone will be hard) you should be ok. at least if you're only doing the basics.

EDIT: Got my netbook and something is barely in the way there which i might trim. Made a thread about it here. It also has pictures since I have trouble explaining where I'm installing it...

Last edited by Flaring Afro; 05-13-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: CarPC How To [And worklog]