Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

CarPC How To [And worklog]

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by transambandit
Well after seeing yours i think i am going to pick up the monitor, but i am going to get the transreflective screen for a little more,
http://store.mo-co-so.com/double-din...tor-p-184.html
Yeah, I highly recommend it. Screen it almost perfect at night, but at a sunny day, it's worthless.

I'm picking up the replacement screen, so I can swap it in myself.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vicinity
Yeah, I highly recommend it. Screen it almost perfect at night, but at a sunny day, it's worthless.

I'm picking up the replacement screen, so I can swap it in myself.
I found the guys ebay pages, this is the same guy i bought my carpc from off ebay and the screen is the same size as any double din, and you can use a metra double din kit in our cars and it will fit beautifully so that is what i am going to do.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was also thinking, is there a 12v in the wiring harness for the monsoon amp? I was thinking about tapping into the monsoon amp and using that for the 12v on for the carpc.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was also thinking, is there a 12v in the wiring harness for the monsoon amp? I was thinking about tapping into the monsoon amp and using that for the 12v on for the carpc.
You mean running power directly to the monitor? Won't work. I tried it, you need a regulator, which comes on the cigarette lighter plug, which I'm using right now.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

You mean running power directly to the monitor? Won't work. I tried it, you need a regulator, which comes on the cigarette lighter plug, which I'm using right now.
Oh no i ment to the carpc, instead of running the power wire all the way from the stereo harness to the carpc it only has to go a few feet to get to the carpc.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh no i ment to the carpc, instead of running the power wire all the way from the stereo harness to the carpc it only has to go a few feet to get to the carpc.
Oh, yeah, that may work, but chances are, it won't have enough current. I'd recommend running a new wire anyway, just incase, it will always be there.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, yeah, that may work, but chances are, it won't have enough current. I'd recommend running a new wire anyway, just incase, it will always be there.
I am still going to be using the main power supply from the battery, i am talking about the 12v+ ignition wiring, instead of using the stereo harness i want to use one that is closer from the amp wiring, i will have to test it out and see if it works later this week, maybe wed or thur. I am going to rewire my whole carpc here before i decide if i am going to get the new screen or not.

okay after a little bit of research i found out that guys who installed a power antenna tapped into the e-12 terminal of the monsoon, so i will be giving that a try.

Last edited by transambandit; 05-25-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am still going to be using the main power supply from the battery, i am talking about the 12v+ ignition wiring, instead of using the stereo harness i want to use one that is closer from the amp wiring, i will have to test it out and see if it works later this week, maybe wed or thur. I am going to rewire my whole carpc here before i decide if i am going to get the new screen or not.

okay after a little bit of research i found out that guys who installed a power antenna tapped into the e-12 terminal of the monsoon, so i will be giving that a try.
Gotcha, let us know how it goes. I had too much trouble with that wire, I just added a switch and desided to be done with it. I'll fix it later, lol.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:14 AM
Banned

im still stuck on what monitor to get. i wasnt something viewable in sunlight, i saw on that site there is one that looks good but its like $700, that allot i dont know if im willing to go that high. what do all these car manufacturers use for the new cars? those screens look good.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cookba
im still stuck on what monitor to get. i wasnt something viewable in sunlight, i saw on that site there is one that looks good but its like $700, that allot i dont know if im willing to go that high. what do all these car manufacturers use for the new cars? those screens look good.
What you want is ANYTHING Transflective.

http://store.mo-co-so.com/monitors-t...e-c-40_51.html

Any of these will be great. You will be VERY happy you picked it up over a regular.

If you have deep tint, or really good vision, you can get away with a stocker, but its still a bit hard to read, especially mid day. It's almost impossible with T-tops off.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

as to the monsoon power thing, that amp is 200-300 watts rms and most carpcs should be less than that.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

damn subscribed!!!
A> awesome build vicinity you and the rest of these clowns are geniuses, this is why I love this site!!!
b. do you have a final budget and build list??
great job and lookn for more info.
this is the stuff that makes me wonder about selling my car or keeping it............. new camaro or just dump tons of loot into my ws6................ lol
goood job though!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Is there any way to wire up the steering wheel controls with a CarPC?
Old 05-31-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ramairjohn2000
damn subscribed!!!
A> awesome build vicinity you and the rest of these clowns are geniuses, this is why I love this site!!!
b. do you have a final budget and build list??
great job and lookn for more info.
this is the stuff that makes me wonder about selling my car or keeping it............. new camaro or just dump tons of loot into my ws6................ lol
goood job though!!!
Final numbers were like 600 something, wasn't expensive at all, just took a while to build.

If anyone is interested in my Carpc, I might be selling it. My car was just wrecked.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by erkki
Possibly, but it may require soldering, not sure. Someone has probably done it.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

many fbody owners have done it on mp3. you can get an ir receiver for the pc and use the pac swix that people use for aftermarket radios, or you can wire them to a usb game controller. im doing the controller because its free for me. you just wire them to the controller's joysticks (they send different voltages for each button). you need resistors too, i have to look into this a bit more deeply.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Final numbers were like 600 something, wasn't expensive at all, just took a while to build.

If anyone is interested in my Carpc, I might be selling it. My car was just wrecked.
I might be interested if you might be selling.

What happened to the car?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I might be interested if you might be selling.

What happened to the car?
Yes it is now for sale, I have a thread in the for sale section:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...-part-out.html

Car was totaled, some lady hit me and spun my car around.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry about the car, and thanks for the link. Do you mind posting specs on the setup? From what I read, you have the following, so please correct me if I'm wrong or add any more detail:
ZOTAC NF630I-D-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7100 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
Intel Celeron 430 Conroe-L 1.8GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 35W Single-Core Processor
1GB RAM
Fujitsu MHW2080BJ 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive
Winsis Wi-02 Black SGCC / ABS Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case
Which power supply are you using? Are you using the M2-ATX automotive power supply?
Windows 7 OS, or did you go with something else?
Centrafuse Frontend? With or without Nav?
7" touchscreen. Is this a Lilliput? Does it have the transreflective screen? I thought not from earlier posts, but wanted to double check.

Feel free to PM or email me. erkki AT *** dot net.

Thanks!
Eric
Old 11-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Launching!

i dont mean to bring up an old thread but can someone with experience help me out. i want to run a carpc with my laptop. i am planning on getting a 7" touchscreen and i know how to hook that up but as far as the sound goes how do i hook up the speakers for sound?

Quick Reply: CarPC How To [And worklog]