Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Antenna Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Antenna Options

The whip antenna is not cutting it, i know that there are the electric ones but what other options do we have? Any pics or advice on this will help. Thanks
Old 11-01-2003, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

What do you mean the antenna is cutting it? Bad reception or you just dont like the looks? If its a looks problem Metra makes a replacement power antenna. I think for some reason they only make it for the Firebird but its the same mount for a Camaro.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was just think it looks plain, the power antenna may be the way to go if i dont find anything else.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought mine from www.rksport.com but it's like $100. I also found a flexable antenna on Ebay for like $8, but obviously it's not for us power antenna guys. It's just has a bolt with threads on the end. Came with like 5 or 6 screws. Obviously a "one kit fits all" thing.....
Old 11-01-2003, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks
Old 11-02-2003, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by firebirdude
I bought mine from www.rksport.com but it's like $100. I also found a flexable antenna on Ebay for like $8, but obviously it's not for us power antenna guys. It's just has a bolt with threads on the end. Came with like 5 or 6 screws. Obviously a "one kit fits all" thing.....

Did it fit well? Heard it's a witch to put in since it's like a universal kind of power antenna. Pics?
Old 11-02-2003, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FenixSS
Did it fit well? Heard it's a witch to put in since it's like a universal kind of power antenna. Pics?
It is a universal kit. But it was still pretty easy to install. No pics, sorry. It's been a while since I did it. Over 2 years. But I think you use the adapter with the most slant. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it. And I think I had some problems figuring out which wire connect to what. I think I just guessed and got it right. There's only about 3 wires to choose from. If your just looking for a replacement antenna, get the stock one. It's only like $65 and, of course, it's a direct fit!
Old 11-02-2003, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, getting conflicting reports though about it. blackcamaro.com has a section on installing the GM power antenna, but you still have to go and buy several parts from like Radio Shack, Home Depot(plumbing dept) and even though it a sweet setup, goes up ONLY when listening to radio, automatically goes down when listening to something else. Also, not as 'waterproof' as the RKSport one.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have had no waterproof problems with my antenna. All it takes to keep your antenna from going up and down every time the radio comes on, is a simple toggle switch. Get em' for liek $3 from Rat Shack. Add $1 worth of wire and bingo..... if I had the choice to do it again..... I'd go with the GM.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you for your insight